Which wifi router (BT broadband)?

Lately, I'm getting increasingly annoyed by my BT Home Hub 2, with frequent wifi dropouts (especially on my iPad & my MacBook). Airport Express does not connect at all. In fact, the whole network crashes when I attempt to connect AE to the router. Even Sonos occasionally doesn't work properly.

I tried changing the wifi channel which sometimes helps but the problem returns soon after.

So I'm in the market for a wifi router with Gigabit ethernet.

Any suggestions?

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Big,

Not sure about the Gigabit thing but our Belkin N600 works wonders through the solid walls/chimney breast and old associated defunct back boiler and pipework. It is dual band as well if that is of use to you. Less than £100.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that recent updates to aex do not always work well with other manufacurers routers. Nothing to do with Apple wanting a mono-culture of course, just incompetant people like Belkin etc.

Juzzie Wuzzie

I have my Sky Router (wireless switched off) plugged into a Buffalo Wireless Router which works extremely well (two computers, Apple TV, two internet radios, NAS) so can't but recommend just buying the best Buffalo router in your price range.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Unfortunately, I'm also with BT, and had similar router-related problems.

After many exasperating phone calls and several skip-loads of manure-type excuses, an engineer was despatched bearing a Home Hub 3.

Not only is this device significantly more aesthetically pleasing, it's also very powerful. Sorted.

images

And after also moaning about my inconsistent broadband speed - which used to randomly lurch from 0.75Mbps to a none-too-heady 4.5Mbps - some "routine maintenance" *cough* at the local exchange has miracuously produced a consistent 16Mbps. Result!

images

A

Anonymous

Hi I also had the same problem with my imac macbook and ipad. I spoke to BT about and they sent me a new home hub 3 for free (as i thretened to leave BT and go with SKY). As soon as i started using the ne w hub all the problems were fix no drop out.

There are know problem with the home hub 2 with Apple products for what I have read on other forums.

rs6mra

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi again, I have just realised that you have the HH2 in which case you would be better off going for the HH3 with BT but they will not send you a HH3 until you have done all the tests and confirmed that the problem is still there

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy said:
Have you given the ipad a fixed ip address yet.Pound to a penny it is one of the things BT will ask you to do.

Ridiculous though (BT's requirement for you to do this, not your comment) - there's no reason why you should need to assign devices static IP addresses in a home network - any router worth its salt should easily be able to cope.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
I agree to some extent,"it shouldn't" but I did find giving my Pure Sensia and HP wireless printer fixed addresses (plus my sons ipod) did help with connectivity.Could be coincidence,but heh ,the problem went way so I wasn't about to start an investigation.

professorhat said:
Ravey Gravey Davy said:
Have you given the ipad a fixed ip address yet.Pound to a penny it is one of the things BT will ask you to do.

Ridiculous though (BT's requirement for you to do this, not your comment) - there's no reason why you should need to assign devices static IP addresses in a home network - any router worth its salt should easily be able to cope.

Thats what I thought as well. I'll give BT a call tomorrow & see what they say. The other similar thread has given me a couple of suggestions. I'll investigate that as well. Thanks!

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
So HH3 is better compatible with iPad & MacBook as compared to HH2? Hmmm... I'll speak to them again & see what they say. Thanks!

My iPad dropped connection twice as I typed the 2 sentences above. |(
BB,I have a HH3 type b and have no problems with it at all. Have iPad,iPhone 4 Apple TV,2 HP Wireless Printers plus Imac and HP Touchsmart PC Oh and my Panasonic Viera Connect all on my home network .No problems experienced to date.If that helps.

gsyx123 said:
Hi BB, hope you dont mind me asking, but was it easy to connect a different router to your HH3? What is involved?

Thanks

Yes, quite easy. All I did was I connected AirPort Extreme to BT HH3 to its gigabit Ethernet port, & switched HH3's wireless off. This was because AirPort Extreme doesn't have an ADSL modem. If using a wireless router with built-in ADSL modem, it's simply a matter of replacing HH3 with it.

gsyx123

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
So in theory, this would work with any router that doesn't have a modem? No messing about with settings? I want to do the same thing with an Asus RT-N66u but i'm not knowledeable to start messing with setting at least until i get it set up!

gsyx123

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
So in theory, this would work with any router that doesn't have a modem? No messing about with settings? I want to do the same thing with an Asus RT-N66u but i'm not knowledeable to start messing with setting at least until i get it set up!

gsyx123 said:

Yes. You can use your HH3 as a modem (although it would mean an extra box) by switching the wireless off.

gsyx123

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Joe. Another question if i may? The Asus is only PPPoE, whereas the HomeHub3 is PPPoA (or should i say my provider is). Can i hook up the Asus like BB says, turn off the wireless and run a RJ45 cable to the Asus? Would that work? Dont want to spend over £100 on a router that will not work, and don't know enough about how to configure them. I could buy the DSL-N55u that would work out the box, but want to be future-proof and get the 66

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts