which unit is the star......

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
In your set up which piece of kit do you consider the 'star'.

I think in mine it's the amp, my speakers come a close 2nd.

But imo the amp control will transfer if the speakers are swapped.

The speakers could prove difficult for lesser amps....

So I go wwith the ax-620.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I'd have to say my speakers, Event Opals. Love them. My Croft 25 pre-amp is lovely too and works well with the Opals but I must say it had a bigger influence when used in my passive system but is till good with actives.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
CnoEvil said:
My amp - MF AMS35i

Go on, tell us why... :-D

It comes down to how easy it would be to replace with something that I would like as much.

For the money that my speakers cost, there are quite a few excellent choices.

I have yet to hear an amp, even at twice the money, that I prefer to the 35i.

My Linn DS is a close run second, as again, I haven't heard a digital source (that isn' Linn), that I like as much.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Thompsonuxb said:
CnoEvil said:
My amp - MF AMS35i

Go on, tell us why... :-D

It comes down to how easy it would be to replace with something that I would like as much.

For the money that my speakers cost, there are quite a few excellent choices.

I have yet to hear an amp, even at twice the money, that I prefer to the 35i.

My Linn DS is a close run second, as again, I haven't heard a digital source (that isn' Linn), that I like as much.

Cno, I'll be looking to upgrade my source later this year. - Is a Linn streamer really that much better than streaming from a Mac mini?

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Sadly I still havent put them through their paces properly as yet, neighbours and old building just couldn't take it! Before I got these I was unsure how big a leap forward better speakers would provide, now I have no doubt!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
This is a very difficult thread.

More than happy with the DAC on the CDP, but that doesn't in itself guarantee good sound, it can only make things a bit better.

My amp is incredibly powerful, far too powerful in fact for the place I live, yet it also shows a refinement.

Speakers...the most important obviously, but they need good kit to drive them properly.

Given the choice, speakers would take the larger budget, but the other bits need to work in harmony with them too.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Cno, I'll be looking to upgrade my source later this year. - Is a Linn streamer really that much better than streaming from a Mac mini?

I think it's good enough for you to give it a listen and see what you think....but you have a good DAC in the Devialet and the DS is too expensive unless it's used as intended (ie. with its own DAC)

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure both the Abrahamsen V2.0 UP and my IPL Acoustics M1's blow me away all for £1000 ish. I'll give anybody's 5k setup a challenge. Though I suppose the star must go to my trusty Sonos ZP80 9 years old and still totally current and delivering great music. (OK it's not as good as my sold CA Stream Magic soon to be replaced with a Cambridge CXN), but for length of service and price it's a clear winner though I think both the speakers and Amp will surpass it, I will probably never justify spending £8K to better it. Happy days.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:

I think it's good enough for you to give it a listen and see what you think....but you have a good DAC in the Devialet and the DS is too expensive unless it's used as intended (ie. with its own DAC)

Thanks Cno. That's kind of what I was thinking too. - Still, I will go and have a listen, or even better, I think Linn have a lending facility through local HiFi dealers.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Without doubt my Graham Slee Reflex M phono stage. Everything else has been a good upgrade over what went before, but when I bought the Reflex M (and stopped using the Roksan's built in phono stage) it was just sensational. I love it.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I several mains leads, but none of them wear socks, let alone more than one. Should I do something about it? If so will worn out holey M&S socks suffice?

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
at the other end of the price range is my Gramofon device. Less than 35 quid delivered by UPS enabling me to connect my Spotify Premium account to my system. I cant say how it compares to other similar devices but the sound quality compares well to the same file types stored on my NAS fed to my Pioneer N50 via ethernet. Good little underrated product which has added massively to my musical enjoyment.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

[...]I have yet to hear an amp, even at twice the money, that I prefer to the 35i.

[...]

Have you tried a Devialet yet?

*bomb*

My favourite piece of kit would have to be my Martin Logan Montis. One day I'll hear some speakers that are more realistic. They'll probably cost a fortune.

*shok*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts