SVS PC-2000 - Sub is going in the corner behind the TV unit so if I go with this I've got no chance to add a second later due to stringent WAF and her aversion to big black boxes/tubes.

BK Monolith Plus DF - cheaper and could possibly get a second down the line. Can get them in oak so could hide the second without too much issue.

2 BK XXLS400's - could get 2 straight away as a friend is selling one and could get both for the price of the PC-2000. Also available in oak to match the room.

Get the XXLS400-DF and add a PC-2000 or a Monolith Plus.

To be used 95% for movies.

Other kit: Marantz SR7010, 7 B&W M1's

Budget: £750 now or £1500 in 12 months

I think I've got positioning and room setup sorted thanks to ellisdj advice so I just need to pull the trigger and buy it/them.

Any opinions or other recommendations greatly received.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
tough call this one actually - need a think on it

Normally dual subs is suggested but for a normal setup - your setup different as you sit across the room. I cna model it for you with a bit of time

Any of those subs is a huge improvement over what you have so any of them will put a smile on your face

Thanks Ellis, I like the reviews of the SVS but if I get addicted to this and want to add a second I won't be able to get another the same.

Would an SVS behind the TV and the second hand XXLS400 work together. The marantz has Audyssey Sub EQ HT and 2 sub outputs. If I understand correctly it should EQ them both properly.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Bass is just pressue so it should but I think you would be better off with 2 SVS subs - but they dont do oak finish. It is suggested to use identical subs for multi sub setups

You might not need dual subs if one sub has enough output and you are concentrating on one seat only

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Ray I have been thinking about your dilemma

If you can fit the monolith in you do get a lot of sub for your money. It's cheaper than the SVS and allows you to go dual in the future.

You could easily sell it on if it's not what you want.

Do you go for the + model well only if you think you are going to really going to push the volume. The standard mono puts out over 100db that's a lot. It's distortion does go up at that level but I doubt you will notice it or even use it that hard.

It's going to be a completely different experience to what you have now. Sound totally underpinned and it should give you a nice wallop as well.

Just my thoughts on it I love SVS I have 2 SB13 Ultras for the money they are stupid good and I think you get similar performance to these from the mono for 1/3 the money 3 x the size box.

Let us know what yiu end up doing. Only snag BK normally a few weeks wait time after you order as they are always busy

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
One big 12 or 15 inch sub will go lower and move more air than two 8 or 10 inch units.
Just do the maths 8 x 8 = 64 and 12 x 12 = 144 so one 12 inch cone has a bigger area than two eights. Same if you do 10 x 10x 2 vs 15 x15. And larger diameter subs will probably go deeper towards the magic 20 Hz than smaller ones.

jjbomber

Ray Fielding said:
due to stringent WAF and her aversion to big black boxes/tubes.

REL make some beautiful Subwoofers in high gloss white, such as the TZero. It is part of the minimalistic range. I think they are £299. Then later you can add the wireless REL Habitat 1, which is wireless, so the leader of the opposition should be happy. Those are £1.399. I would get one on demo and set it up in the room and see if she notices. She may think the Habitat 1 is a new radiator!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Rel habitat is rated to 30hz at -6db. In reality it might not even hit that or it might depending on room gain.

That's pretty useless as a movie sub your paying a lot for form over performance with that unit

Clever idea but not a true bass performer. If it was flat to 30hz and -6db at 20hz it would be decent but reality you don't get that out of small enclosures

jjbomber

ellisdj said:
Rel habitat is rated to 30hz at -6db. In reality it might not even hit that or it might depending on room gain.

That's pretty useless as a movie sub your paying a lot for form over performance with that unit

As I said, he can demo with his ears rather than with a calculator and alide rule.

More importantly, it works out far cheaper than a divorce*biggrin*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
-6db at 30hz is no good for a movie sub

Your need +6db at 30hz not - 6db. Room gain might get you a flat response at 30hz if your lucky but a flat response doesn't sound flat because of how our ears hear bass.

Its not a good performer and the numbers for subwoofers actually says a lot. The monolith at 1/3 price is flat to 30hz at 100db in reality with room gain you should get decent 20hz bass. That's the performance your after and the performance it will Actually do 3rd party tested

I've narrowed it to the Monolith or SVS PC2000 but leaning towards the SVS as it fits in the corner better, has a 5 year warranty and it's half the weight of the mono. I do keep changing my mind though. The lure of 2 subs is a big one and that means 2 monoliths.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Think ahead why would you want 2?

Why do you think you will want 2 subs?

Also does your receiver have dedicated dual subwoofer outputs if not and your not planning on having them in both front or rear corners then you have a setup situation that you can work around but requires a fair amount of manual sub setup skill.

That's something else to factor in

My receiver does have 2 outputs and Audyssey Sub EQ HT. I'm only thinking of 2 subs as I read everywhere that 2 subs are much, much better than 1. If I got a good wireless solution I could get the second sub in the back corner, diagonally opposite the one in the front corner.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
BTDT. False economy on my part. Most people who use two subs do so either because they've got a very large space to fill, or, more likely, because they bought an inferior sub in the first place and had to double up.

Also, most BDs and DVDs are only coded for one sub.

I don't know if the 7010 does clever stuff that also extracts left and right channel low frequency sound and feeds that to left and right subs as well, but I'm pretty certain (I have a 7010 myself) that it doesn't extend any such capabilities to front and rear subs.

One more thought: have you thought about a wireless sub you could hide somewhere?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The reason you need 2 individual sub outputs is because you will need a seperate delay time set for each sub if they are not equal distance from the listening position like they often are if you sit in the middle and have 2 in front corners for example - a very common setup.

Sometimes receivers have 2 sub outputs but it's really a dual mono arrangement so I would check that.

There is not a lot between the SVS and Monolith In terms of performance when you look at their performance numbers.

Monolith slightly lower distortion figures above 40hz

They have slightly different design curves

Either output over 100 db that's a lot

Either will be good buy the one you think suits you better in the long run

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts