Which streamer to buy?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I think the days of cdp are gone. I will buy a streamer, but which one? I don't like a bright sound with shrill highs for my music (much older rock, symfonic metal, pop).

I like a "hifi" solution. Also:

NAD C446

Marantz NA 7004

Pioneer N30/N50

Cambridge

Etc.

I think the NAD is too expensive.

My system: NAD C355, NAD C545, MA RX 6

John Duncan

Cambridge ;-)

However...the Pioneer N50 looks very attractive and it'll be interesting to see how it sounds when it arrives (if it hasn't already), but I think you should also add a Squeezebox Touch to your list, which is extremely cheap and higher-fi than you might think, straight out of the box.

A

Anonymous

+1 on the SB Touch. However you will need either a PC or beefy NAS to host the files and server.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Am looking at similar items and another consideration maybe the Yamaha NP-S2000 which is available with a large discount so is less than half original price from ssav.

There is a review in the media server section which can give more information if interested.

Linn Sneaky could also be of interest and superfi offering very competitive price

Good luck

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Shanka said:
Hi, Am looking at similar items and another consideration maybe the Yamaha NP-S2000 which is available with a large discount so is less than half original price from ssav.

+1 ... but it is a fairly hefty beast and won't fit on to most hifi racks ... it is nearly 450mm deep.

John Duncan said:
Cambridge ;-)

However...the Pioneer N50 looks very attractive and it'll be interesting to see how it sounds when it arrives (if it hasn't already), but I think you should also add a Squeezebox Touch to your list, which is extremely cheap and higher-fi than you might think, straight out of the box.

Worth checking out Marantz NA7004. It's a very impressive piece of kit for the money.

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Computer and a DAC?

My Mac Mini / Pure Music / Arcam rDac outperforms the Meridian 508 that it replaced, which was no slouch. Use a windows laptop to keep cost down?

Just a thought. As I said in a post elsewhere it would be interesting to pitch this solution against a good streamer. Haven't a clue which would be better.

matthewpiano

Personally I think the Squeezebox approach is hard to beat, particularly as you could add an external DAC at a later date. The user interface is better than almost any other streamer and it is very easy to use and navigate.

matthewpiano

Crocodile said:
matthewpiano said:
Personally I think the Squeezebox approach is hard to beat
I see you've updated your sig, how are you finding the Touch? Although I'm guessing it only arrived today.

Hi Crocodile. Yes, not set it up yet but I have been using a Squeezebox Classic for some time and I've used a friend's Touch a few times. I think they are really good products. Will sort it out at the weekend and report back. Very grateful to you for sharing the voucher code, as it is something I've been after for some time but I haven't been able to stretch to it along with all the other demands on money! :)

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I've had the SB Touch for a few months now and I'm still amazed by it. The old cliche about playing all the old music and it being given new life still stands. Best £135 I've ever spent on hi-fi and I was a confirmed CDPphile/streamer sceptic until I took a punt. I do recommend a decent NAS drive (I didn't know what such a thing was until a few weeks ago) or using a PC for storage though; the Touch currently doesn't bond with external hard drives too well, especially, in my experience, if you have over 20,000 tunes going on - random play? Forget it!

The other features of it are great bonuses, but the main one as far as I'm concerned is its Spotify ability; brilliant!

Currently listening to: Neu! - Neu II

SteveR750

philipjohnwright said:
Computer and a DAC?

My Mac Mini / Pure Music / Arcam rDac outperforms the Meridian 508 that it replaced, which was no slouch. Use a windows laptop to keep cost down?

Just a thought. As I said in a post elsewhere it would be interesting to pitch this solution against a good streamer. Haven't a clue which would be better.

+1

I'd be surprised if a wells et up PC isn't at least as good as a budget streamer. I'm going to audition a Linn sneaky, i have a sneaky feeling it won't be that much better than my laptop / mc

John Duncan

matthewpiano said:
Crocodile said:
matthewpiano said:
I see you've updated your sig, how are you finding the Touch? Although I'm guessing it only arrived today.

Hi Crocodile. Yes, not set it up yet but I have been using a Squeezebox Classic for some time and I've used a friend's Touch a few times. I think they are really good products. Will sort it out at the weekend and report back. Very grateful to you for sharing the voucher code, as it is something I've been after for some time but I haven't been able to stretch to it along with all the other demands on money! :)

I'm curious to know what you think it gives you over and above the 8050 though, MP?

matthewpiano

John Duncan said:
matthewpiano said:
Crocodile said:
matthewpiano said:

I'm curious to know what you think it gives you over and above the 8050 though, MP?

Gapless playback for one thing, which is important to me, and the Touch offers a much better user interface than the Onkyo - being able to see the artwork etc. Also, it means that when I am ready I can upgrade the amplification without having to go back to the drawing board with the streaming side of things.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
OK understood. I never think about gapless...

This is the one "essential" thing for me in any streamer.

For classical and many electronica and prog-rock albums a pause in the middle of "tracks" is a real bummer.

In terms of functionality I have yet to see anything touch the SB.

John Duncan

There's only one way to find out.

images

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts