Second hand MA RX6 or Kef Reference Model Two or better Kef Reference Model One?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I can buy a second hand MA RX6 for 750,-- Euro. For the same price i can buy a older Kef Reference Model Two in good condition. Music is rock and symfonic metal. I like a warmer sound without bright highes. Which is then the best buy?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
A dealer will sell a new Kef R300 for 1000,-- Euro. But i think the new Kef's are not so pleasant sounding with rock and metal and also like all modern speakers not warm sounding? But very strange to read; someone found the R300 fine sounding, others find it dull and boring sounding and not clear enough.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
peterpan said:
A dealer will sell a new Kef R300 for 1000,-- Euro. But i think the new Kef's are not so pleasant sounding with rock and metal and also like all modern speakers not warm sounding? But very strange to read; someone found the R300 fine sounding, others find it dull and boring sounding and not clear enough.

I have the R300's, and I would describe them as warm, perfect for my taste. Taste is what it boils down to.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
With which amp do you drive the R300? And have you these speakers compared with the floorstander R500? From what i read must these opener sounding, but also bright tweeter?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
peterpan said:
With which amp do you drive the R300? And have you these speakers compared with the floorstander R500? From what i read must these opener sounding, but also bright tweeter?

Just buy the r series and put a pillow case over the speaker to deaden the sound problem sorted. If still too bright try a duvet

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
peterpan said:

I have the Rotel RA1570, which drives them effortlessly. I heard the R500's at the same time, and I thought there was very little difference, although I thought the 500's were harder to drive. In both cases they were definitely not bright.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I welcome the day when we have the first forum newb asking for advice how to get less boomy bass on his favorite Dr. Dre "***** Niggaz" song. It better be a very thick wool stuffed duvet covering that Kicker sub!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I welcome the day when we have the first forum newb asking for advice how to get less boomy bass on his favorite Dr. Dre "***** Niggaz" song. It better be a very thick wool stuffed duvet covering that Kicker sub!

Try and help peter pans ongoing bright r series saga first before we do anything else

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

Try and help peter pans ongoing bright r series saga first before we do anything else

I found RX6 too bright and I've never listened to R300.

Go Spendor and Epos for dull, KEF for neutral.

Does that help?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I hope that i can this week listen to the Kef R300. The dealer expected that he has then also the new Tannoy 's. But i think Tannoy is the same as MA (= bright).

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Today i've heard the Tannoy XT6F. For me with my metal and rock music horrible. So bright, it hurt my ears. And this is speaker of the year? Or has Tannoy paid for this.........

It will be or the (old) Kef Reference one for 350,-- Euro (the two is too big for my room and need too much space from the walls). Or a new Kef R300. Must hear this speaker and if it is indeed dull sounding.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
peterpan said:
Today i've heard the Tannoy XT6F. For me with my metal and rock music horrible. So bright, it hurt my ears. And this is speaker of the year? Or has Tannoy paid for this.........

It will be or the (old) Kef Reference one for 350,-- Euro (the two is too big for my room and need too much space from the walls). Or a new Kef R300. Must hear this speaker and if it is indeed dull sounding.

I found the Tannoy DC6T SE's quite bright sounding with very little bass. It seems to be a trend these days, imo. No doubt some will find the Kefs dull sounding, but I've found with good positioning they give plenty of detail, with good bass, perfect for my taste.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Now i think the Kef Reference Model Two will be too big for my room. I read they must place far from the walls, 1,5m.

But i can also buy a (old) Kef Reference Model One. What about this with rock and metal? Or better go for a new Kef R300 which sounded better, fuller and better bass than the R500.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
peterpan said:
Now i think the Kef Reference Model Two will be too big for my room. I read they must place far from the walls, 1,5m.

But i can also buy a (old) Kef Reference Model One. What about this with rock and metal? Or better go for a new Kef R300 which sounded better, fuller and better bass than the R500.

I've not heard the Ref Model One, so couldn't say, but worth having a listen?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts