Which Standmount Speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
Al ears said:
DIB said:
seemorebtts said:
I would recommend something with a bit of bite as the Yamaha is a little bit laid back. Dali is a good match. pro arc studio or try the EB acoustics eb2s as you can try them at home for 30 days and they only cost 799 bargain:)

Actually you can get them from the new manufacturers for £699 or less on Ebay at the moment. 

An even better bargain then.
I got mine on eBay for £399 which is amazing considering how good they are and they are the actual pair that were on the front cover of hifi choice :)
Did you have dynaudio before? If so how do they compare? In terms of bass, and clarity?
Gracias

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
radiorog said:
seemorebtts said:
Al ears said:
DIB said:
seemorebtts said:
I would recommend something with a bit of bite as the Yamaha is a little bit laid back. Dali is a good match. pro arc studio or try the EB acoustics eb2s as you can try them at home for 30 days and they only cost 799 bargain:)

Actually you can get them from the new manufacturers for £699 or less on Ebay at the moment. 

I got mine on eBay for £399 which is amazing considering how good they are and they are the actual pair that were on the front cover of hifi choice :)
Did you have dynaudio before? If so how do they compare? In terms of bass, and clarity?
Gracias
yes I had the emits. Well you will get more bass from the dynaudio but it will never be as detailed as the EB. Clarity wise the EB are way better.they made my emits sound as if they had something wrong with them like a loose wire. You get deep detail from the emits with Good dynamics which at the end of the day is a good listen but if you want just all out realistic natural sound with no fancy dynamics the Ebs are just stunning. Some recordings sound like you are there with them in the studio

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I'd avoid any type of big floorstander at this price to get maximum bang for buck. The kef r300 are a good speaker but imho are outclassed by same size smaller atcs and pmc's, at similar prices (just better on bass taughtness and faster), and I agree with previous comments that pmc and atc are amongst best brands you are going to get. But you'd struggle with pmc at £1200 new, but not atc. Maybe old pmc twenty 21 you could get for around this price. Another of my favourites is the neat iota alpha which whilst more like £1400 outclass some of those mentioned including r300, pmc twenty 21, Dalis mentioned, and probably smaller atcs. The neats are also a 3 way design, with a ribbon tweeter for great treble, so stand out, whereas these other speakers are just 2 way conventional types. I reckon you could get new ones for £1200 with a dealer discount, just depends if they fit your installation, but they punch well above their weight, they are more like a £2000 class speaker. They are truly an astonishing sounding speaker well above their price point. Everyone at shows always says they are fab. You aren't paying for the big floostanders reducing what you get for your money soundwise, but you are getting a floorstander in a small cabinet with a big sound, a 3 way design and ribbon tweeter. Upward mid firing design. It would defo be on my list with probably the smaller atcs, but having heard the small atcs and these neats, and all the pmc's, the neats stand out a mile for me and I think for many tastes. I'd recommend going to audio t to listen to the iota alpha before you buy anything as I think audio t tend to stock neat . And I'm not solely recommending speakers I own, but ones I probably would if I was paying that price. Hope helps.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Ps if your Yamaha is laid back as mentioned, the atcs and pmc's might be making the overall presentation be similar as these studio ethos pmc's and atcs tend to be very well laid back too. The 20-21 has drivers like this as I owned the same drivers in the 20-23. Depends on your taste though, but that's why I was thinking of a ribbon tweeter speaker, which often have very open and transparent treble - not bright. But to give the Yamaha a kick for detail and transparency and make the system more revealing and open, less flat. Piega speakers with ribbon tweeters are very good. And less well known brand and therefore good value, but I still think the neat iota alpha is going to be the absolute top of the class around your price point.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
Al ears said:
DIB said:
seemorebtts said:

My speakers were on the front cover of The Sunday Times. It was as good a place as any to put them while I sorted out the stands and cabling.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts