Which speakers for metal- and rock?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
LDTM said:
Jota180 said:
I have the KEF LS50 and they rock no problems!

May I ask which amplifier you use to run them and whereabouts are they in the room? :)

NAP 100 and about 2 feet from the back wall and 3 from the side. Bass is unreal for their size.

So they rock AC/DC, Metallica, Motorhead and all the usual classic rock crew like Led Zep but I've always found paper drivers seem to sound the best for metal.

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I dont think hifi systems makes good rock speakers and also think they have way too much treble and lack bass presence (not bass extension).

I know some metal fans who enjoys cerwins or bic americ large 12' woofers speakers. They are so cheap that you should give it a try. My own solution is with 8' woofers active studio monitors (m3-8) and really like it.

Dank_Vapours

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
A little surprised no-one's mentioned Tannoys! I wouldn't buy any of the new ones (unless you had some serious money for some DC8s) but you can pick up some retro second hand ones for peanuts, and i've never heard anything with more bass/mid presence. I'm not going to suggest they have the incredible, beautiful clarity (or bright/harshness) of a Monitor Audio set, but they have a really easy-breathing, deep voice and powerful sound that I think you can only get from bigger drivers, and the mids/treble are no slouch. As a guitarist and a drummer, and a heavy metal/rock listener, I can say that they gloss over the bad/thin recordings and produce a pretty authentic sound, but maybe that's just nice kit synergy.

Worth a thought if you come across a cheap as chips 2nd hand set...

e.g: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tannoy-Sixes-611-Main-Stereo-Speakers-/331253600323?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

^ don't worry, they're not mine!

Worth noting that I thought the Q Acoustics 2050i sounded pretty nice when I demoed them a year ago...

Best of luck!

**edit**: @stevee1996 - I have to say I think their brightness is mellowed by your lovely Roksan Caspian, an amp well known for its big and powerful, rich, sound. I heard Monitor Audios with a CA 851a and felt their sound bordered on over-brightness, but I have to blame the amp to a certain extent.

BryO

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
BryO said:
Kyuss, Orange Goblin, Unida, High on Fire, Sleep, QOTSA, Sigiriya, Candlemass and host of other Doom and Stoner Doom bands are definitely what I dig as well!

If you have a soundcloud account check out Glacialpath. Yes I know it's me but that is my music project. They are only Demos at the mo but would be nice to know what you think.

Also when we have a recording I think my other band The Air Turned To Acid would be right up your

:rockout:

Cool will check those out, here is a link to the band that I sing for, you might dig it!

http://futurenoise.bandcamp.com/track/monolith-cult

Copy and paste the link as the forum won't let me attach a proper link without saying it is spam!

Cheers Bry

Neptune_Twilight

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Pleased with the RX2's I bought recently with good stands & sited properly the dynamics of the units is quite amazing, I wouldn't call them bright but music does tend to get hurled at you, it's not necessary to play them loud as they are so dynamic IMO far more than the RX6's - I also auditioned the Silver 2's but found them similar the the RX's - Good stands are essential + & I’ve found the sound is quite addictive.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I see here a advice for the B&W CM or 600. But in reviews you read B&W has a harsh and bright top end. Seems not so good for metal and rock.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Just my tuppence worth

I had the Kef LS50's for a couple of years and imho, they really didn't rock for me, I always felt they were too transparent.

Recently ish... I bought a pair used B&W 805S's (Ebay) .... finally.... I can pretty much play anything and they really do like to Rock.

gasolin

Q acoustics concept 20 good sensitivity (stereo magazine measurements say 89db which is very good) no boomy bass and it has a slightly lowered top from 1500-2000hz (1-2db)and up, so it's not a boomy or bright speaker or something like a Wharfedal diamond 220 or Dynaudio Emit M20 (requires a big amp because of the low sensitivity,but is a bass monster less than -10 db at 40hz)

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
There is not such thing "which". Any properly designed speaker should play all music genres ! You can find a difference probably in valve vs transistor amps ( where the latter are more suitable for rock etc. ) but not speakers. You need to look simply for a good speaker. From "my personal recommendation" sth. from Leema Acoustics (Xero, Xone), Focal, Heco (Direkt). I mean those not so high end over-expensive and not so cheap but these are of great "price/performance" ratio.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
obiwan kenobi said:
I listen mostly to metal and rock. Unfortunately most bad recording. On many speakers it will sound too bright. Several weeks ago i heard the MA RX 6. Nice sound, but too bright and too much bass). What will be good speakers for this kind of music? On which speakers it wil besound nice?

B&W 684S2 or 685S2

Dynaudio DM 3-7

I remember that the B&W where accurately sounded for rock. PMC are great for that too. PSI is really good on rock. Phonar is good. Some like the Klipsch products for that, it's not my case, but why not. ATC are excellent in rock application (only experienced the greater models). Piega are good in this domain too. Dali are behaving good too.

I would not recommend Audium, ProAc, Triangle, Monitor Audio, Dynaudio, Goldmund (only because price/performance ratio is ridiculous), MEGeithain, Sonus Faber, and absolutely not Rowen.

(please have in mind that this is only based on my personal experience with those speakers brands and can depend on which speaker I tryed out and my personal tastes in music reproduction).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts