Which Speaker Cable?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all top stuff this forum as always! I was thinking of replacing my Gale Bi-Wire and single runs to my rear speakers with some 'Chrord Carnival Silver Bi-wire and Single version. I had heard that this would suit my Marantz and Mordaunt Pairing and be much better than the Gale wire? Any suggestions or experience of what may go better would be welcome. Many thanks Paul

A

Anonymous

I use 6mm multistrand from ebay at around £2 pm or so.

I tried bi-wiring but it makes no difference providing you use a thick enough single run.

A

Anonymous

I think the Chord Carnival Silver plus is coming to the end of it's run and is being replaced by the Carnival SilverScreen. It's not available in a birewire version - Chord Co recommend you use two runs. What amp are you using? It could be that you have two sets of speaker outs and may be able to biwire via those terminals, using speakers A for the mid driver and speaker B for the hi. However, there is some debate as to whether biwiring has an effect, and if it does whether the price justifies it - it's twice as expensive as regular wiring. Ask yourself how much do I want to spend, and what is the difference you are expecting. After that the best thing is to demo as only you can hear improvements/differences with your ears.

A

Anonymous

ok thanks to you both, appreciated.

I will hunt around and demo some cables me thinks.

A

Anonymous

Hi Paul,

I'm in the same situation, looking for Speaker Cables.

A little birdy has told me that the composition of the Cable will suit the sound you like.

I prefer a brighter sound for which SILVER cable is supposed to be better.

For a duller or warmer sound I was told you should be looking at Copper.

Can any of the EXPERTS on here confirm that this is indeed the case?

I would say definitely go bi-wire though.

I'll be keeping an eye on your post

Good Luck

A

Anonymous

I am not an expert in sound just knowledgable in cable design, all I can say is that in my opinion the vast majority of copper coated silver does sound a little brighter though this depends on the thickness of the coating. Another factor is the insulation material, PTFE for expamle tends to warm the sound a little.

A

Anonymous

As the conductivity of copper is almost as good as silver, wouldn't it work just as well to use thicker copper?

A

Anonymous

all depends on what you are looking for, each material does sound different, the high end stuff we supply tends to be silver and the results I believe are fantastic. I have not been able to get a sample so I cant confirm but the reviews this cable has had from all has been very good. ALso Silver does not oxidate as quickly as copper therefore less prone to ageing

A

Anonymous

A good quality, thick copper cable will be sufficient for most people. Cables don't add anything to a system, they take away and impart colouration - ie change the sound. So basically cables are tone controls. You can tame (subtle) a bright system by using pure copper and you can add brightness (subtle) to an overly warm system by using silver cables. Then you get into the realms of silver-plated copper which is supposed to be the best of both worlds. It should give you nice bass depth and also extended treble. If you believe in the idea that cables 'sound' different!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Wild Willy"]A good quality, thick copper cable will be sufficient for most people. Cables don't add anything to a system, they take away and impart colouration - ie change the sound. So basically cables are tone controls. You can tame (subtle) a bright system by using pure copper and you can add brightness (subtle) to an overly warm system by using silver cables. Then you get into the realms of silver-plated copper which is supposed to be the best of both worlds. It should give you nice bass depth and also extended treble. If you believe in the idea that cables 'sound' different![/quote]

In my experience, yes, cables do sound different but, and it's a big but, if the cables you are using are thick enough to transfer the signal with no audible losses it doesn't matter two hoots whether it's made from silver, copper or a mixture of the two.The signal can't tell
emotion-15.gif

I also find that bi wiring only changes the sound when using thin cabling.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to all, useful stuff!

I didn't realise the can of worms I was opening with the speaker cable question... LOL,

Yeh, I too have heard all sorts about the plain copper wire, Silver coated wire, Tin coated wire etc.

I guess the only way to be sure is to demo one of each and try them with my fav tunes and see what I like best.

It certainly seems one of those things where everyone will not come to an agreement as it seems a personal thing,
choosing the right wires as with the interconnects scenario.

Paul

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts