Which Receiver makes a Good Pre-AMP

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
What Receiver Does WHIFI Recomend to be used as a Pre? if I was to add a Amp.

I have been looking at the different receivers but have found that they all seem to be a give and take.

Between the Yamaha 3900, Z7 or Sony 5400ES, Pioneer LX82 or any others that I have missed. Sound quality for music and Movies being the Priority.50/50.

Thanks

Messiah

Usually the best thing to do is to get a separate stereo amp and use the front pre-outs from the receiver to connect to this. Here is my generic explanation....

Using a Stereo Amp with an AV Amp

To do this your AV Amp must have pre-outs for the front left and right channels

1. Connect the front pre-outs on the AV Amp to a spare input (excluding phono) on the stereo amp. (Maybe Aux)
2. Ensure the left and right front speakers are connected to the stereo amp. (May seem obvious I know!) and leave all other speakers connected to the receiver.
3. Select the input on the Stereo Amp that the AV Amp is connected to.
4. Set the volume on the Stereo Amp to a memorable position. A lot of people recommend the 12 o'clock position.
5. Run the speaker calibration set up.

Now that this is set up you can enjoy the best of both worlds!

When you want to watch a movie you need to ensure both amps are on and the input the receiver is connected to is selected. Then set the volume back to the 12 o'clock position and enjoy! (Remember to return the volume on the Stereo Amp back to it's normal position before you switch inputs!!)

To listen in stereo you just need to use the Stereo Amp. (Ensure your stereo components such as a CD player are connected to the Stereo Amp and not the AV Amp). The AV amp is left off.

TRENDING THREADS