Which One ? for Andrew Everard and/or Clare Newsome

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Please can you give me advice on which LCD TV to buy ?

My mother-in-law has the Sony KDL-40W2000 which for the most part is very good with ordinary digital pictures from Virgin our cable provider.......

What I was wanting to know was after reading the November issue of What Hi Fi if I bought the Sony KDL-40W3000 would I see the difference ? Or would it be perhaps would it be worth while considering Sony's KDL-X2000 ? Or perhaps you would recomend one which I have not mentioned ?

Please help ? With the cost of these TV's I'd hate to purchase the wrong one and after reading numerous reviews.... my head is swirling a great deal.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
From what I have read the W2000 and the X2000 or virtually the same apart from the X has a snazzy glass surround. The W3000 I would imagine would be better. However, if you are going to feed only scart from your Virgin box, it might not give you the picture you are after. I have the W2000 connected via hdmi to the Sky HD box and the SD picture is excellent and the HD picture just stunning. These machines are made with HD in mind and you don't get HD with scart.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Hello again people.....Given that the What Hi-Fi list price is £1900.00.....listen I have been able to find the Sony KDL40W3000 for £1289.97 online (I don't know if it's alright to say where ?) is it ?

Anyway would this sway anyone (including Clare, maybe) in the Sony's KDL-40W3000 LCD TV direction ?

Or is the Panasonic's plasma set the one to go with ?

I thought that LCD TV was the way ahead, am I wrong to presume this ?

I was never really even thinking about my connection from Virgin (my cable provider) being only provided through a scart connection ..... but what I do know is that the digital picture on my mother-in-law's Sony KDL40W2000 is really smart looking...... Would the W3000 look any better do you think ?

Hopefully (fingers crossed) not in the too distant future I will be able to get HD...... so I'm trying to think ahead as well here, what do you think ?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Most people who are more knowledgeable than me, say that excellent Plasma is better than excellent LCD. All I can say is that my Sony LCD has made my life a happier one and the W3000 can only be even better. When I mentioned about scart from the Virgin box, I meant that you cannot use anything but scart (just wanted to clarify that). If you are going HD in the future, the W3000 is pretty futureproof and an excellent plasma would cost you more than £1300 (again, I'm there to be shot at). I do believe that LCD's are on the heels of plasmas now. These Sony's really are great.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
OK, here's our take on the situation:

The W3000 is better than the W2000 - better spec, improved picture. Probably the best LCD you can buy at the moment.

BUT

We'd strongly suggest you see the Panasonic TH-42PZ70 (list price £1400, available for @£1200 including five-year warranty at moment) as well. It's an excellent plasma, offering deeper blacks and better contrast/motion-handling than the Sony.

Either set would make you very happy - and I believe there are warranty deals on Sony sets this month, too.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Honestly, it's a matter of personal opinion - some people prefer the almost unreal detail-levels on the Sony, others the deeper blacks and smoother motion-handling of the Panasonic. All depends what you watch most of (sport vs movies vs TV) and what other considerations you have (eg the Sony has three HDMIs, the Pana two).

They're both excellent, five-star sets, and i'd strongly suggest you see them before you buy to choose the set that best suits you.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Hello again, yes I'll be making sure that I see these ''babies'' in action before buying either....though in the meantime....

I mostly watch movies and football would........ this be good to watch on both ?

Sony's W300 LCD should be good with movies surely ? Would it also handle football pretty well ? (I'm guessing tests are carried out on both)

Or would you still think yourself (Clare) ''the panna''

Gerrardsnails.... do you have any input on how your SonyW200 on how it handles the likes of ''football'' ? (I've only saw the odd snippets of t.v on my mother-in-law's set).

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
When I watch the football on Sky in HD it's fantastic. On ITV it's good but you can notice the difference. ITV is pretty poor anyway though compared to other SD channels.

Please be aware that I'm merely a novice in the world of sound and vision. I lived with my sister for a while and they have an old Panasonic plasma. They don't have it set up with hdmi and my picture is a lot better. With hdmi connection there's might be better I really don't know. Check them both out in a shop. I agree with Clare, whichever you pick you will be like "wow"!!

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Anyone else got an opinion on these two t.v 's
emotion-7.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts