Which loudspeakers.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a small room - about 12 feet by 12 feet - and am looking for a pair of speakers, budget £400. I have auditioned several speakers including the old Kef iq5's, Monitor Audio BR5's and the RS1's. I am afraid that the BR5's finish counts them out. So I am left with the RS1's or the New iq5 SE's which I obviously haven't heard yet. I am leaning towards the iq5's but are there any others around this price that I should hear? I listen to classical music (incl organ).

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much. I auditioned the 685's but thought thay might be too bassy (which was also mentioned in the What Hi Fi review). Again the finish of the 685's was a little plain to get past "the boss" wheras the RS1's come in real wood veneers and look very smart.

I must admit that I am rapidly coming around to the RS1's. Which stands would you recommend, in that case?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The obvious answer would be the Partington Superdreadnoughts, but if you're battling with 'the boss' re the lovely-looking B&Ws being plain (how???), I think they won't pass muster.

We've tested a great pair of real-wood-finish speaker stands in our forthcoming issue, out a week today, if you can wait that long? Think they'd look/sound great with the RS1s, if you can find the finish to match.

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much, Claire.

I had another listen yesterday and I think it is between the RS1's and the 685's. Aesthetics aside, my thoughts are that the 685's are a little full in the upper bass for my room and that the RS1's are smoother and more open in the midrange.

I am going for another listen (4th and hopefully final) later. Would you agree with my choice of the RS1's?

I will wait to see your review before buying some stands.

Thanks again.

A

Anonymous

Does anyone else have any comments about the relative merits or the MA RS1 or the B+W 685?

Thanks.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I would go with the MA RS1.

I heard the B&W 685 recently and they didn't convince me. The sound was a bit sloppy and less accurate than the RS1, especially in the bass department. The RS1 are just a lot tidier and more convincing in my opinion.

You can also try the MA BR2. Almost sounds the same as the RS1 and a lot cheaper.

A

Anonymous

i have a 9 x 20 feet room.

wich loudspeakers do you avice me to buy?

i listen mainly to alternative rock and dance music (part of my job), so bass definition is a really important factor (floorstanders preference?).

at the moment i have a pair of old cabase sloop 2 lended by a friend (till i buy my own...)

kind regards,

luis

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Given your musical tastes you'd be hard pressed to beat B&W, which I've always found to be excellent on bass definition and delivery. I have Dali Ikon 6 myself and they sound excellent with dance music, although they are really more about involvement and midrange than bass, and ideally suited to voice and instrument. Having said that track 5 on LHB's 'Dig you may find a friend' is just unbelievable, the soundstaging is huge - shiver down the spine stuff (the complete opposite of watching England football team!!!!).

A

Anonymous

Thanks, all. Bought RS1's - superb; open, crisp, sharp vocals and sweet. Even "The Boss" likes them and spent a weekend playing her cd's which she has never done before. £400 well spent. Now I have to buy her a Smeg fridge freezer - will only be hopping and using a fork in future.

A

Anonymous

My Wife / Boss can't really tell much difference between one set up and the next, I always rely on my own judgement when it comes to the sound. She chooses the kitchen appliances, I choose the hifi! - I suggest you do the same :p

I love monitor Audio speakers, they all look really good, they are well finished and sound really tight.

A

Anonymous

Personally I find tha if you want a tight bass, best to buy stand mounts speakers with some good stands like the partingtons

A

Anonymous

She has already chosen a fridge freezer and it will cost me an arm and a leg. At least she recognises what an improvement the RS1's are.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts