Which is more powerfull XBOX 360 or PS3

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, mods feel free to move it.

Only.. I read such mixed things on the internet about which is more powerfull out of the XBOX 360 and the PS3.

So, which has the more powerfull

1/ CPU processing power
2/ Graphics power

Is the cell processor really the big flop I read about or a great bit of processing power that I read elsewhere!?

Interested to hear from you guys and gals in the know
wink.gif

Thx!

A

Anonymous

Don't think theres any doubt ps3 is much more powerful.Forget the FANBOY rubbish for awhile, the CELL processor was developed by Sony, Toshiba and IBM.Development teams are just getting to grips with it and are still learning to develop for the ps3.While xbox has many great games its been out a year longer so expect some seriously good games for ps3 in 2008 including GTA VI,Gran Turismo 5,Metal Gear Solid 4 and Haze.Oh by the way its a great Blu-Ray player aswell

A

Anonymous

[quote user="britlifter"]Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, mods feel free to move it.

Only.. I read such mixed things on the internet about which is more powerfull out of the XBOX 360 and the PS3.

1/ CPU processing power
2/ Graphics power

Is the cell processor really the big flop I read about or a great bit of processing power that I read elsewhere!?

wink.gif

Thx![/quote]

Why does it matter, it's all about the games. PS3 has had a slow start but there's some good stuff coming.

R

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="hifi_nut"][quote user="britlifter"]Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, mods feel free to move it.

1/ CPU processing power
2/ Graphics power

wink.gif

Thx![/quote]

Why does it matter, it's all about the games. PS3 has had a slow start but there's some good stuff coming. It was the high price of the ps3 60 GB that made it slow as parents were just not willing to shell out AU$1000 on a game console when to most parents they couldnt see that it did anything more than a ps2 (remember this is parent thinking who think you dont need the latest graphics and sound for children)..The 40 GB became 30 0/0 cheaper than 60 GB version and was then line ball with xbox 360 pricing... i think it was a combination of price and parent resistense that made ps3 slow..

R[/quote]

A

Anonymous

Hiya. I disagree with the post above stating that the PS3 is more powerful. It's not as simple as that.

In terms of GPU many believe the 360's to be the more powerful. Certainly to date 360 games appear to look slightly better than PS3 versions - but only minor differences such as better lighting and contrast. And whilst fanboys continue to post that the "PS3 is suddenly going to produce something amazing once developers get used to it" - do also remember that the 360 will continue to improve too.

Neither of them can match the power of a top PC - don't ever expect to see the graphics you see in Crysis (Directx 10 on a powerful PC with to 8800s running in SLI) running on a PS3 or Xbox 360. It's quite simply not possible.

As an all round media centre the PS3 is better. The Blu Ray drive produces a better quality image than the 360s HD-DVD drive and you have better audio outs, connectivity, built in WiFi etc etc. The PS3 actually works out cheaper than the Xbox once you've added all the extra bits and bobs - even at it's higher price it was actually a bit of a bargain.

Purely for gaming its common knowledge that Xbox Live is better and you have a greater number of 'killer' titles to choose from. Though many are cross platform anyway.

So it's up to you really ... PS3 offers a better all round experience - the built in BluRay player is very good. Purely as a games machine the 360 has an edge at the moment. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next 2-3 years ... but which time PC's will be making both look very old hat. If I had a grand to spare I'd build myself a Home Cinema & gaming PC.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Schbeemb"]but only minor differences such as better lighting and contrast.[/quote]So when you adjust your telly, the PS3 looks better, therefore its more powerful. If I use your logic.[quote user="Schbeemb"]PS3 is suddenly going to produce something amazing once developers get used to
it" - do also remember that the 360 will continue to improve too. [/quote] How?

A

Anonymous

PS3 is more powerful on paper.

Every multi format game to date looks better on the 360 except one, oblivion. This is due to the texture update to the game. (oblivion was out on pc and 360 before the ps3 was even released)

The True reason behind 360's advantages over the PS3 is

1: Time, yes it has been out longer therefore game developers know how use the hardware better

2: 360 is far far easier to program for, more user friendly which equals more better looking games (it would be great if companys made games for the sheer joy of making them but the facts are if it cost you more money to make the same game for 360 look better on PS3 aswell as an extra 5 months work are you going to make any more money?? No you won't, i will also add this is one of the reasons that GTA is running late as both formats have to be realeist at the same time and it take so much longer to get a game to run smooth and good looking on the ps3)

3: Although on paper 360 is less powerful on paper, the far simpler design means it makes better use of its power, less waste and generally more efficient, think of the 360 as a lower powered pc than the PS3 but over clocked, or a crappy car with NO2.

In terms of dvd/HD/media player i have no idea, im new to the whole home cinema thing although im trying to learn it all but what you have to rember is the 360 with hd add on isn't as good as a hd player. The PS3 isnt as good as a standalone Blue ray player.

If you want to play games go for the one you will play more, not the one that offers X= FPS or or 7.1 sound. Go for the one that offers you the most games that you want to play, not the one with more out.

Hope this helps

A

Anonymous

[quote user="richardjlarby"][quote user="Schbeemb"]but only minor differences such as better lighting and contrast.[/quote]So when you adjust your telly, the PS3 looks better, therefore its more powerful. If I use your logic.

The better lighting and contrast is down to the different processing method both formats used which on all multi format games seem work in favour of 360, also all games for the PS3 i have seen seem to lack the partial effects and texture upscaling and downscaling for smaller and larger objects, PS3's high capacity disc and more raw power means a slighly differnt approch to making games. an example would be to use differnt texture rather than downscale and upscale ones but its more work/money/time so multi format ( i.e. EA, Ubisoft...) developers wont do it. adjust ur telly all you want, u cant adjust that. (The darkness is one of the biggist examples of this)

[quote user="Schbeemb"]PS3 is suddenly going to produce something amazing once developers get used to it" - do also remember that the 360 will continue to improve too. [/quote] How?[/quote]

both will improve, 360 games have not reached there limit, far from it.

PS3 has more "Potential" than is currently but may never get to use it.

Xbox was more powerful than PS2 but never used its potential, and dreamcast was far more powerful than PS1 but was a major disappointment which lacked the developer support to make it big and also ended Saga's console carrier!!

xbox was more powerfull than PS2 but never used its potential, and dreamcast was far more powerfull than PS1 but was a major dissapointment which lacked the devoliper support to make it big and also ended Saga's console carrier!!

A

Anonymous

Some good points Headfunk.

FYI as an HD player the PS3 is better than the HD DVD drive add-on for the 360 - got one and seen both. Dedicated is the way to go - though the PS3 compares well against standalone players, according to the What HiFi team.

As far as development for the PS3 goes, the PC goes well beyond what the PS3 will ever achieve anyway.

With the HD battle going on anyway I think I'll just have both :)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Schbeemb"]
Hiya. I disagree with the post above stating that the PS3 is more powerful. It's not as simple as that.

In terms of GPU many believe the 360's to be the more powerful. Certainly to date 360 games appear to look slightly better than PS3 versions - but only minor differences such as better lighting and contrast. And whilst fanboys continue to post that the "PS3 is suddenly going to produce something amazing once developers get used to it" - do also remember that the 360 will continue to improve too.

Neither of them can match the power of a top PC - don't ever expect to see the graphics you see in Crysis (Directx 10 on a powerful PC with to 8800s running in SLI) running on a PS3 or Xbox 360. It's quite simply not possible.

As an all round media centre the PS3 is better. The Blu Ray drive produces a better quality image than the 360s HD-DVD drive and you have better audio outs, connectivity, built in WiFi etc etc. The PS3 actually works out cheaper than the Xbox once you've added all the extra bits and bobs - even at it's higher price it was actually a bit of a bargain.

Purely for gaming its common knowledge that Xbox Live is better and you have a greater number of 'killer' titles to choose from. Though many are cross platform anyway.

So it's up to you really ... PS3 offers a better all round experience - the built in BluRay player is very good. Purely as a games machine the 360 has an edge at the moment. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next 2-3 years ... but which time PC's will be making both look very old hat. If I had a grand to spare I'd build myself a Home Cinema & gaming PC.
[/quote]

Just to say, I have both systems and I'd agree with this completely. I use my PS3 as a media player and a blu-ray player and play games on it occasionally (though I'm hoping they bring out a "killer app" soon!). I use my Xbox 360 entirely for games. At the moment, as a games machine, the Xbox wins hands down without question.

A

Anonymous

would love to see a comparison Xbox hd player Vs ps3 blue ray using the new 360 models so both are using the same HDMI cable?? anyone tried?

Pc will always be far more advanced than any console. The pros for console gaming a clear, u put the game in and it works, no drivers needed, no updates needed to play it with ur model of graphics card, no installations, no minimum requirements... the list goes on. When it comes to online gaming consoles are the clear winner, no cheating players with custom game macros and hacks, no advantages because someone is using a more precise mouse or a better gaming keyboard. My final point on Pc Vs console is one of price, I paid more money on a single piece of my pc (graphics card) than my whole console 2 years ago and now its obsolete. To keep you pc running the latest games maxed out looking the way they should you would need to invest serious amounts a cash. Don't get me wrong I love pc gaming as it often offers more depth in a lot of cases and always look so much much nicer.

To get the best Gaming Pc you would need to spend £2000-4000 (could build your own and over clock for less) and it would become out of date in a year. Every time I buy a console game I know it will work and look like the pictures on the back and will run with a smooth and playable frame rate.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Headfunk"]I paid more money on a single piece of my pc (graphics card) than my whole
console 2 years ago and now its obsolete[/quote] ditto. Very true.

A

Anonymous

Ha - yep, PCs can be pricey. Built my own fairly recently though - for a lot less. Was acually good fun doing so too. It's not a top spec machine but happily runs Call of Duty 4 on high settings.

Now .. when is someone going to build a good multi format HD player ?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="richardjlarby"]I will build you one.[/quote]

PC based - two drives etc ... only way isn't it ? <current drives have limited HD-DVD features I think>

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts