I've recently bought the monitor audio radius 5.1 speaker set and will be mounting the centre and rears tomorrow.

I'm looking for any advice on the mounting position of the centre speaker above or below the TV.

To put it into context, my room front to back is fairly slim, just over 3m, my front speakers are on stands and sit about 1 foot from the front wall the front speakers are pretty much perfect ear height at ~1m.
I have a 49" wall mounted tv the bottom edge of which sits just above 1m, which is a nice eye height from the sofa without needing to strain the neck!

Unfortunately I have a small radiator below the TV and this prevents me fitting the centre below the TV without moving it up about 6-12" .

So my question is this, should I a) move the TV up and attach the centre below the TV or b) fit the centre above the TV?

I've read a few things saying ideally the centre should be at the same level as the front speakers. If that's the case I'd do better to move the TV up, unfortunately that might move the TV a little higher than I'd like it.

If however it doesn't make any odds height wise, I could more easily mount it above and leave the TV at it's current height.

Eventually I will be removing the radiator, but this may not be for 6-12 months. I'm interested in people's opinions as to a short term or long term solution.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Nothings perfect, sometimes you have to make do with what you have, it should be fine on top of your tv, as long as the dialogue sounds like it is coming from the tv itself it should be fine.

You can have it in either place. I had the Radius HD (R225) speaker above the TV in my previous house:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/my-home-cinema-setup-lounge

In my current house, the speaker is placed below the screen (check the link in my signature). Both options worked very well.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd say either above or below, whichever is nearest to the TV screen, unless it'll end up so low it is anywhere near the floor. Ideally, and I appreciate this is rarely achievable, the centre should be as near to the imaginary straight line between the drivers of the left and right speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts