Which is better for dubstep/electronica - MA RX6 or ATC SCM19 + sub?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey guys, all things being equal (medium sized room, decent amp and front-end), what might be better for dubstep and electronica between the Monitor Audio RX6 vs the ATC SCM19 + a sub? I want the drop to feel like it should!

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
What amp have you got, there is also quite a big difference in price between the RX6 and SCM19/Sub.

The SCM19 really will need a good quality amp to shine, especially with electronica and dubstep! :dance:

A

Anonymous

I reworded the title!

I guess I'd like your thoughts on how the SCM19 does for electronica in general, assuming it's partnered with the SIA2-150.

Any contrasts against the RX6 - even with the price difference - would still be interesting; comparing well-regarded 2-ways to 2.5-ways.

I currently have the Harman Kardon HK990 integrated, but was seriously eyeballing the SIA2-150, which I heard years ago & LOVED.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Although I don't like dubstep, I listen to a lot of electronic music, extensively through 11s and 40s. Properly amplified (such as by ATC's own amp, as you suggest) the 19s will be marvellous. Depending on what kit you've heard before, tho, it may take a bit of getting used to. Speakers like the RX6s have more 'showroom appeal' for bass, but with time you will realise that (compared to ATC) you are getting boomy / distorted / uneven bass. ATC's bass is very accurate and, whilst it rolls off relatively early as it is a sealed box design, gives you a very good representation of what's on the record. Ie if there is bass there, you'll hear it how it's meant to sound, well integrated with the rest of the frequency range.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I used to have a pair of ATC scm19's and used them with/without a REL Strata 5 sub.
I used them with a Krell Kav300i and also a Chapter audio Preface+ and couplet pairing.

I listen to all types of music, but mainly electronic, especially Aphex twin, which might be along the lines of Dubstep.

As Ben mentioned, ATC's are very faithful to the recording, and don't hype the bass like many other loudspeakers, but they recreate the recording with absolute precision, making even the most complex music make sense.

Adding a sub to the scm19's will make a great combination, but the sub will need to be a good one. Think of the Rel Strata 5 as a minimum. A sealed sub will also be best in order to have the right character of bass to suit the scm19's.
ATC's C1 sub would be a good match, or even better, two C1's :grin:

A

Anonymous

Thanks, Matt. I like Aphex Twin - Xtal holds a lot of memories for me, though one could argue it's quite an easy going song for any decent system. What does it sound like on the SCM19 (without a sub) when you crank it?

A

Anonymous

On the assumption that you have a budget to achieve a general audio aim, why not consider going active. AVI are literally about to release the ADM40 floorstander with inbuilt active amps, Preamp and DAC. The drive units are amongst the best in the world and there's a matching 10" sub for extra depth if you want it. The speakers will be £3k and the sub is £800, and it'll accommodate 2 of them for the most demanding requirements.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I'm sure every manufacturer will claim they uuse the 'best drive units in the world' :)

Who knows. But the Scanspeak Illuminators are top end and apparently very expensive indeed. Here's a thread that shows some other speakers that use them to add some context.

[LINK REMOVED - house rules]

Just something else for the OP to consider.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I'm sure many of them are also very expensive because of their cabinet finishes and shapes :)

I'm sure of that too. But still, they're very good drive units regardless.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
igglebert said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I'm sure every manufacturer will claim they uuse the 'best drive units in the world' :)

Who knows. But the Scanspeak Illuminators are top end and apparently very expensive indeed. Here's a thread that shows some other speakers that use them to add some context.

[LINK REMOVED - house rules]

Ladies and gentlemen, instead of our intended arrival point, I am informed this thread will now be going to a destination as yet unknown. I am told if you all remain in your seats and don't make any sudden moves, you will all be released unharmed when we land. We hope this unexpected diversion doesn't cause you too much inconvenience, and would like to thank you for flying What Hi-Fi? Airways.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
igglebert said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:

[LINK REMOVED - house rule 15]

Ladies and gentlemen, instead of our intended arrival point, I am informed this thread will now be going to a destination as yet unknown. I am told if you all remain in your seats and don't make any sudden moves, you will all be released unharmed when we land. We hope this unexpected diversion doesn't cause you too much inconvenience, and would like to thank you for flying What Hi-Fi? Airways.

Do we get Air Miles?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
igglebert said:
...the Scanspeak Illuminators are top end and apparently very expensive indeed.

I remember being told - categorically - that Sinar Baja in Indonesia had all the best engineers (from companies like Vifa and Scanspeak), and that they made the best drivers in the world. Cheaper too.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Coys said:
Thanks, Matt. I like Aphex Twin - Xtal holds a lot of memories for me, though one could argue it's quite an easy going song for any decent system. What does it sound like on the SCM19 (without a sub) when you crank it?

I don't actually have Xtal. I think ts on selected ambient works vol1 which i don't have yet :oops:
But i found everything sounded great on the scm19's, especially when cranked up. I had a couple of parties with the scm19's cranked up for a few hours and they sounded great. A previous party melted the voice coils on my older speakers, so it shows ATC's are built to last.

How much you like your bass will determine whether you need a sub or not. I feel that all but the biggest speakers benefit from a sub. I had a sub with my scm50's, and i'm going use one with my PA-65's when i have the money.

One thing to think about when choosing speakers is the average volume level you will use them at. If your going to be playing LOUD most of the time, your better off buying BIG speakers, or using a sub with small speakers setup with a high pass filter to take the low bass away from the speakers and send it to the sub.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts