Which interconnect for rock?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
For my system, NAD C355 amp., NAd C545 CDP and MA Rx 6 speakers, i'm looking at a good interconnect. I don't like a bright sound but for my music a full body and warmer sound. Speakercables are Van Damme 4 mm, but i don't like their interconnect.

Which? Van den Hul D102 mk III? Or is this too bright and gives it too little bass? Or Atlas Equator?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Very happy with my Atlas Titan I/Cs for rock & metal.

Had some (admittedly much, much cheaper) VDH 'The Bay' I/Cs at first. Far too dull and leaden.

Next up came the Kimber Silver Streak I/Cs. Much faster and more detailed with a big soundstage. But perhaps a tad too far the other way....

Took a punt on some end of line Titans. Excellent natural sounding I/Cs. mids and bass are a step up from the kimber cable without losing any of the detail and pace. If the Titans are representative of the Atlas 'house sound', you won't go far wrong.

A

Anonymous

In my experience you won't get any real change in presentation from an interconnect. There are undoubtably differences, but since I started to really test it blind I can't really tell. I have Van Damme along with some £100 a metre stuff and others, and if I'm honest, they all sound identical.

Just my opinion of course, but try for yourself, but try to test it blind. If you hit on a magical cable, then fantastic, you found it. I'm sure you should be able to loan a few.

T

the record spot

Try a few; I noticed no difference across cables ranging from £7 to £200 (generic up to Atlas Navigators). You don't need to go mad with your gear (no offence, but I wouldn't be splashing out on Atlas Titans for one thing...!). QED Qunex 2s are good, van den hul's The Name at £65 is good, but the same as the QEDs. In the end, try some out, but don't pain yourself listening too hard - for a bigger impact on your music, try shifting your speaker position.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
for rock music I'd recommend a cable covered in spikes and hobnails and essentially sheathed in black leather. :rofl:

and seriously. you've already got a number of good advices. don't expect miracles if you switch to a different cable.

BTW it's really amazing how people believe that a piece of another copper wire can miraculously transform their hi-fi into something listenable...

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
for rock music I'd recommend a cable covered in spikes and hobnails and essentially sheathed in black leather. :rofl:

and seriously. you've already got a number of good advices. don't expect miracles if you switch to a different cable.

BTW it's really amazing how people believe that a piece of another copper wire can miraculously transform their hi-fi into something listenable...

and also, i'ts really amazing how other people cannot believe that a piece of another copper wire can miraculously transform their hi-fi into something listenable...

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Gusboll said:
and also, i'ts really amazing how other people cannot believe that a piece of another copper wire can miraculously transform their hi-fi into something listenable...

don't have to believe. been there, done that. while I'm not claiming that everything sounds the same I think sounding different doesn't mean better (and that usually means taking something somewhere to give something some more elsewhere).

peterpan said:
For my system, NAD C355 amp., NAd C545 CDP and MA Rx 6 speakers, i'm looking at a good interconnect. I don't like a bright sound but for my music a full body and warmer sound. Speakercables are Van Damme 4 mm, but i don't like their interconnect.

Which? Van den Hul D102 mk III? Or is this too bright and gives it too little bass? Or Atlas Equator?

There's no such thing. It's a little like asking which tiger hurts the most?

Sorry for the flippant remark but cables will only give you the most subtle of tonal differences, hence why so many people cannot tell the difference. Cable debates usually end in tears...

You're amp and CDP is warm and to make it warmer, you'll need to change speakers - too extreme.

You need balance to hear rock at it's best, something unachievable with richer cables.

FWIW, I used to use Chord Chrysalis interconnects with Gale (copper) speakers cables, the latter was exclusive from Richer Sounds.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

Sorry for the flippant remark but cables will only give you the most subtle of tonal differences, hence why so many people cannot tell the difference. Cable debates usually end in tears...

Sorry as well, but a question like this deserves a flippant remark. I actually accept that you might notice small differences between cables (expensive ones probably), based on some sort of inter-component interaction, but this is just a stupid (or rather misinformed, I am aure the OP is not stupid) question - and everyone knows what they deserve.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
datay said:
plastic penguin said:

Sorry as well, but a question like this deserves a flippant remark. I actually accept that you might notice small differences between cables (expensive ones probably), based on some sort of inter-component interaction, but this is just a stupid (or rather misinformed, I am aure the OP is not stupid) question - and everyone knows what they deserve.

An honest question does not deserve such disrespect imo.

T

the record spot

Gusboll said:
oldric_naubhoff said:

Must admit Gus, having had a foot in the camp that thought it did make a difference / matter, then finding out through shelling out the hard-earned that experience told me it didn't, I'm happy to be where I am now. Words like "miraculous" and "transform" suggest greater capabilities than my experience tells me such things are able to deliver in the real world.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
It's not disrespectul - it's as "honest" as the original "honest" question. What I am disrespecting is the marketing that passes for reviews (which I enjoy reading as a matter of fact, takes you to a wonderful imaginary land for a couple of minutes) that lead people like the OP to ask such a misinformed question that purely and simply has no answer. "Which tiger hurts the most?" - that just nails it, brilliant.

So, if your Fender Stratocaster is plugged into your amp with Van Den Hul, no no, not good for rock - sounds like the Brotherhood of Man! Connect an Atlas Titan (this is an imaginary scenario) and bingo! Purple Haze all through my brain. :doh:

Gusboll said:
datay said:
plastic penguin said:

An honest question does not deserve such disrespect imo.

Wasn't being disrespectful. I fully understand some amps, sources and speakers are better with rock than others, but cables will only feed the signal/sound transmitted from the source to the amp and on to the speakers.

Perhaps, if I am totally and utterly wrong, there should be a thread: "Which interconnect for classical music?"

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
datay said:
It's not disrespectul - it's as "honest" as the original "honest" question. What I am disrespecting is the marketing that passes for reviews (which I enjoy reading as a matter of fact, takes you to a wonderful imaginary land for a couple of minutes) that lead people like the OP to ask such a misinformed question that purely and simply has no answer. "Which tiger hurts the most?" - that just nails it, brilliant.

So, if your Fender Stratocaster is plugged into your amp with Van Den Hul, no no, not good for rock - sounds like the Brotherhood of Man! Connect an Atlas Titan (this is an imaginary scenario) and bingo! Purple Haze all through my brain. :doh:

It was disrespectful; the OP asked an honest question and to label it as stupid is out of order imo. You can be honest and give your opinion without resorting to dismissing people's enquiries as inane.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts