Which Home Cinema Amp for KEF 3005SE?

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
As the title suggests really?
I've been out of things for a while, and so my knowledge will need topping up!
I am currently borrowing a friends Denon AVR-3802, which while I'm impressed with, no doubt is very old. It certainly doesn't have the new HD audio codecs that I'm really looking forward to listening to!
He requires his amp back and so I now 'have' to purchase a replacement!
Currently I have the KEF system and also a Panasonic BD30 BP.
Looking quickly through the options it would appear that I should go for a Yamaha - probably the DSP-AX863SE (although the V1900 could be an option).
These retail at £600 and £1000 respectively. Is it worth spending the extra £400 to play through the KEFs?
I only use the kit to play movies/tv signals, although I'm also considering investing in a Apple TV, and if so will use the kit to play music too. As such it may be worth considering the more 'musical' amp?
Any thoughts/advice would be very greatfully received!
Thanks, PJ

Hi PJ

Either of the Yamaha's will be fine as they tend to be a good tonal match with KEF sub/sats. The RX-V1900 is worth the extra investment in terms of it's build, extra features and especially it's power/performance.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Yes, the Yamahas should be a good match for the KEFs I believe. Get the 3900 if you need to have the networking functions or get the 1900 if you don't but want something a step above the 863. Otherwise, the 863 should work fine as well and since you're impressed by the old Denon, I think even the 863 would blow you away.

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Cheers guys for your comments.
So it looks like its worth the extra few notes for the V1900 then? I was worried that perhaps the speakers wouldn't do the amp justice. Whilst I've been very impressed with them I imagine to get the best out of a 130odd watt amp (that costs a grand) you need some hefty floorstanders!
But hopefully that's a testiment to the KEFs!
As for the current Denon amp, I was lucky enough to have this on loan for about 18 months. The set up I had before this was a old Sony DAC all-in-one system. So it was bound to sound better than that! I can really tell the difference for example watching blurays with DTS HD (obviously sent out at DTS on the DENON) over DD HD (again sent out as DD). The sound is more focused, more detailed and I think slightly louder (although that could just me 'hearing' things!)
Thanks for your help guys, I'll look in to getting the best deal I can on the V1900!
Having said that it appears Yamaha are releasing some new models (or updated ones) in June... might be worth a wait again! Mind you, if I just wait I'll never purchase anything!
PJ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts