Which Headphone Amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 540 Reference headphones (bought many years ago on What Hi-Fi recommendation) but since buying my Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated Amp have not been able to use them as it doesn't have a headphone input.

Therefore, can you recommend a decent headphone amp that doesn't cost the earth? Also would I be best connecting it to the tape or sacd connection which I have spare?

A

Anonymous

Meier Corda Arietta from Jan Meier in Germany. Purchase direct and it will arrive in a couple of days. Use mine with Senn HD650 and it suits me very well. Price is 200 Eur whatever that is in UKP these days.

Ask him anything you like....great service.

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

A

Anonymous

Octopo:Does this count as costing the earth?

Unfortunately at the moment yes as i've just had to shell out quite a bit on the back garden (don't ask!) but thanks for your help.

A

Anonymous

Now that does look interesting and at about £168 definately a posibility.

They make some interesting claims surprised WHF haven't got wind of these and tested them, especially as there aren't tons of headphone amps on the market.....is there?

Anyway, well worth considering thanks raym87.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
This is my favourite - The Little Dot Headphone Amplifier.
Has a good following on the net although little coverage in general magazines.

I have the Mark III and it is excellent but there are various models depending on your budget.

http://www.little-tube.com/forum/category-view.asp

A

Anonymous

I think the Project HeadBox will do the job just fine! It's an absolute gem for the price, and I've heard it on some Seinheiser HD600s with an Arcam CD37 compared against the headphone socket on the Arcam A38 and it's light years ahead!

A

Anonymous

I'm really interested by this headphone amp (Little Dot Headphone Amplifier MK3) such good reviews, sounds like just what I'm looking for, and great value for money. Have you had any experience using it as a pre-amp, and if so what characteristics do you think it has?

A

Anonymous

Hi Brisk. My experience with the heaphone out jack on the PM6002 is that it is difficult to improve on without spending sums approaching that of the amp itself. I have a Project Headbox which, I have to say, offers little noticeable improvement over the built in headphone out.

A

Anonymous

Thanks tractorboy, I actually favour the headphone out of the DAC though. I find the headphone out on the PM6002 a little fatiguing after long sessions.
I'm investigating the Little dot MIII because it approaches the price of the PM6002 and I figure as it is designed to solely act as a phone amp it should show noticeable improvements. This is the review which really sparked my interest, http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/review-little-dot-mkiii-tube-headphone-amp-pre-amp-309855/ it would seem many head-fi members adore it. So I was wondering whether many members here had had any experiences with it, and hopfully a word from crusaderlord.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I confess i have not used it as a pre-amp simply as a headphone amplifier.

What attracted me to The Little Dot was :-

Good internet following and reviews.
Good price value - i bought when £1 was worth $2 so it seemed particularly cheap back then for me, but is still good now against mainstream products.
Good support - the people behind this offer quick reply to any queries and generally have a good report for this - they even seem to replace items without fuss if needed. The downside is returns would require overseas postage. When i raised some questions before i bought one i got replies within 24 hours each time.
Great looks - i mean have you even seen anything much like the valve based ones in the shops. There is also a non valve solid state version V too if you prefer this style.

After receiving it and running it in for c20 hours to get the valves going it really does sound amazing. I have the Mark III which is a valve one and it has a really open soundstage with my Sennheiser HD595 phones. There is no background hiss or noise polution. The musicality is excellent and is better than my Arcam A32 FMJ socket (which i have to add is itself way way better than other separates headphone sockets i had tried before including Nad, Cambridge Audio and Roksan Kandy).

I would guess it has a slightly warm and vibrant sound, and is great with female vocals especially but ive not been dissappointed with any music (i dont really listen to heavy rock or rap). Its hard to describe in comparative terms as i not heard many other proper headphone amps but i am very happy as it is a unique item really. Also you can change the valves off ebay to different models and this can deliver a different sound empasis. I have some Russian ones which do add a touch more bass emphasis, but the originals are fine too.

For me its a great value item, sounds lovely and has a fun factor too. Listen in the dark with the valves glowing - great stuff.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
On the Little Dot i should also add.

There is another decent review and detailed spec analysis here

http://www.compudio.ca/2007/06/little-dot-mk-iii-exclusive-review.html

It also has 4 setting to best suit headphones of different sensitivy so you need to choose the best one for your phones - its easy to change by moving a small jumper connecter on the bottom of the amp.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info crusaderlord. It is a very beautiful peice of kit, not that in vein but it defenatly helps. Am seriously considering a purchase, think I will be selling some old kit to counger up enough cash. Cheers again.

A

Anonymous

Check out the Musical Fidelity X-Can V8

Its a great headphone amp, and sounds fantastic with my AKG 702's

Also has a USB input if you have music files stored on a computer!ÿ

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts