Headphones on system without a headphone socket

Tezza55

Dec 30, 2022
Visit site
Here's my problem. I have a Rega Planar 3 connected to a Musical Fidelity A1 amp via a Rega Fono Mini A2D Mk2 and Rogers LS2A speakers. If I'm alone in the house, all is fine and dandy. But if my wife is at home, she thinks all my records are called 'Turn It Down'. The problem is that the amp doesn't have a headphone socket. Is there any way of somehow adding headphones to my system?

Reactions: Symples
Think it might be possible but means buying a cheap headphone amplifier and connecting it to your amps Pre Out sockets, however I am no expert in this department.
There may even be a way of utilising the USB output from phono preamp but not too sure on that one.....

Tezza55

Dec 30, 2022
Visit site
Think it might be possible but means buying a cheap headphone amplifier and connecting it to your amps Pre Out sockets, however I am no expert in this department
What are the Pre Out sockets? On the back of the amp are Phone, CD, Tuner, Aux & Tape Monitor/Record.

What are the Pre Out sockets? On the back of the amp are Phone, CD, Tuner, Aux & Tape Monitor/Record.
I see, thought it had Pre Out as well, obviously wrong.
The Record Out sockets could be used instead so you will still need a headphone amplifier of some sort.
Something like the Project Headbox S2 but will depend on your budget.
An expensive way of doing it is to change your phono preamp to one that actually has a headphone socket built in but then it's probably cheaper just to change your amplifier itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tezza55

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Last edited:
Are you using the tape output at all? if not use the tape rec out and hook it to a headphone amp like this one (I have it) you can turn volume on the amp down and use the volume control on the headphone amp.

Good suggestion although more expensive than the Project.
It can probably be done cheaper if OP searches around.....
He could use USB output from the phono preamp to something like the £55 Behringer UMC22, or so I am led to believe.....

Last edited:

Din5

Jun 27, 2021
Visit site
I use the Project HeadBox which is a small really well made, metal cased, great performer. I have it connected to my amp's tape output. The unit comes as you would expect with it's own power supply.
When connected to my Philips Fidelio X2HR headphones, just a really great impressive sound, don't think I'll try to improve on this going forward. Amazon.co.uk : philips fidelio x2hr

Gray

No I'm getting more confused . Balanced or Unbalanced?
All headphones can be used unbalanced - and most are.
Some have the possibility to be used 'balanced' which can be an advantage.

As stated in the previous post the A5OS can adequately drive any headphones.

But you must not let balanced or unbalanced influence your choice of headphones - finding the right sounding pair of headphones (for you) is the most important thing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts