Which genre does your kit excel with?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Well so far mines good for all forms of Rock from Classic . Prog .Metle. Classical. Acoustic. pop music Elton John Abba Maddona soul music jazz folk in fack everything that Ive put on so far:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: so far so gooooooooooooooooooooooood

toyota man said:
Well so far mines good for all forms of Rock from Classic . Prog .Metle. Classical. Acoustic. pop music Elton John Abba Maddona soul music jazz folk in fack everything that Ive put on so far:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: so far so gooooooooooooooooooooooood

How much did your system cost? :dance:

Seriously though, there is a fairly substantial gulf between the price of systems. If I had a 10k set-up I would feel short-changed if there was a serious downfall in SQ.

John Duncan

BenLaw said:
plastic penguin said:
John Duncan said:
plastic penguin said:
Which genre does your kit excel with?

Music. It's quite good at blurays as well though.

Beat me to it - I was going to mention films later.

Mine's good at horror and SF but not so good at westerns.

You are watching the wrong kind of westerns. You wanna watch this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Assassination-Jesse-James-Coward-Robert/dp/B000Y8G0OS/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1351202254&sr=1-1

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
toyota man said:

Seriously though, there is a fairly substantial gulf between the price of systems. If I had a 10k set-up I would feel short-changed if there was a serious downfall in SQ.
Hi PP My system cost me about £5500 including head phone amp and headphones the xlr cables came foc with the cdp and I love my system and unless I come into loads of money I dont think I will be changing anything anytime soon any spare cash will be going on music . Ive just bought an audiolab 8000a and a marantz 6003 cdp to go with my old mission752s of the bay for my son

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Just reading through - fingers are pointed at recordings more often than they should be.

Since I have acoustically treated my room recordings I thought were good are average and ones I couldnt listen to before are actually now the best - not in every case obviously

I am yet to come across a song that cant be listened to - sounds really bad from my collection (mixed music genres) - that was not the case before.

Not all recordings sound amazing, very far from it - however there is a large difference from sounding very bad (cants stand to listne to - to sounding ok/ pretty decent

toyota man said:
plastic penguin said:
toyota man said:

Hi PP My system cost me about £5500 including head phone amp and headphones the xlr cables came foc with the cdp and I love my system and unless I come into loads of money I dont think I will be changing anything anytime soon any spare cash will be going on music . Ive just bought an audiolab 8000a and a marantz 6003 cdp to go with my old mission752s of the bay for my son

Hello TM - The point I was trying to make is the RRP of your speakers usually around £2000 give or take, M6i around £2500, M2 retails at about £1600?

My system, on the other hand, speakers retailed at £600, amp £1275 or thereabouts and CDP at £400. There's a hefty difference in price between and should be a fairly substantial difference in SQ. Or have I got this totally wrong? :)

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
toyota man said:
plastic penguin said:
toyota man said:

Hello TM - The point I was trying to make is the RRP of your speakers usually around £2000 give or take, M6i around £2500, M2 retails at about £1600?

My system, on the other hand, speakers retailed at £600, amp £1275 or thereabouts and CDP at £400. There's a hefty difference in price between and should be a fairly substantial difference in SQ. Or have I got this totally wrong? :)
Hi PP Ive no idea how your system sounds so I cannot judge if the price difference is worth it all I know is I have listened to loads of cds that I revisited when I added the new amp and cdp and they bring an even bigger smile to my face:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: the m6i only cost me 2k the atc 1.5k roksan 1,6k all thanks to a ppi refund thanks tsb

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi toyota man

Have you settled on SCM40 monitors?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick yes to that they are realy great speakers I even hooked them up to an audiolab 8000a which I got of the bay for my son and they sounded very good.On the end of my m6i they sound fantastic no boom or bloom in my 3 x 4 listening room even at hi volumes and as you know they can do rock with real verv as well as any other type of music from pop to classical

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Rather interestingly, I cannot think of a single genre that my system is bad at. I have spent a lot of time and effort so that my system is good at playing everything as I don't discriminate on music, unless its drum n bass or lady gaga which really isn't music and therefore I am not discriminating :rofl: It is especially gifted with vocals but lacks a bit when it comes down to timbre. A speaker upgrade is due in 3 years which is sure to change things but I am not complaining at all.

shafesk said:
Rather interestingly, I cannot think of a single genre that my system is bad at. I have spent a lot of time and effort so that my system is good at playing everything as I don't discriminate on music, unless its drum n bass or lady gaga which really isn't music and therefore I am not discriminating :rofl: It is especially gifted with vocals but lacks a bit when it comes down to timbre. A speaker upgrade is due in 3 years which is sure to change things but I am not complaining at all.

Didn't mention anything about systems sounding bad with any genre of music, perhaps you could start one, then? :twisted: ;)

My system is gratifying as an all-rounder, but it has sonic leanings towards the ones I previously mentioned.

A

Anonymous

As a newby here
wave.gif
I wish that the reviews of kit would cover this a bit more than they do- but it may be that I have minority tastes in music, so tough. In my case it's probably more that I dont appreciate some types of music myself, so I don't care if my system would do them well- for instance, I dont want to listen to the full bass sound that some musicians are aiming at: I dont like it.

I designed my original system to play classical chamber music better than orchestral and now I am working on upgrading I am listening especially hard to complex vocal classical music as well as chamber, when I audition stuff.

I want to be able to hear the original location behind the music, especially for live recordings, and I want to hear them breathe if they are singing. I don't especially want to hear the keys on the bassoon clanking, though. But it's not sound engineered in any way by the performers themselves. That is a bit different to the kind of music that is mainly recorded in a studio, or if not, is amplified for performance. Plus the question of how many different lines are going on at once is different in classical from other types of music- not that more lines of content is necessarily "better" or more musical, but it is a much more common issue.

Ellenoctopus said:
As a newby here
wave.gif
I wish that the reviews of kit would cover this a bit more than they do- but it may be that I have minority tastes in music, so tough. In my case it's probably more that I dont appreciate some types of music myself, so I don't care if my system would do them well- for instance, I dont want to listen to the full bass sound that some musicians are aiming at: I dont like it.

I designed my original system to play classical chamber music better than orchestral and now I am working on upgrading I am listening especially hard to complex vocal classical music as well as chamber, when I audition stuff.

I want to be able to hear the original location behind the music, especially for live recordings, and I want to hear them breathe if they are singing. I don't especially want to hear the keys on the bassoon clanking, though. But it's not sound engineered in any way by the performers themselves. That is a bit different to the kind of music that is mainly recorded in a studio, or if not, is amplified for performance. Plus the question of how many different lines are going on at once is different in classical from other types of music- not that more lines of content is necessarily "better" or more musical, but it is a much more common issue.

This will probably be useful: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/define-accuracy

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Classical reproduction is always hard to get right. I find the reproduction of string quartets particularly difficult. You need detail, space airiness, but not with any hint of brightness or too much trebble. I find my Marantz Pearl-Lite manages this, albeit at a little loss of spaciousness. Am thinking of a change of amp, as my MK1 Caspian is a little long in the tooth.

A

Anonymous

Thank you to both! I had to laugh at the guy who said accurate meant hearing an organ play in your front room just like it does for real... I think not, unless you want your windows to shatter and your neighbours to have you killed. That's the thing- some music maybe just isnt meant to be heard in a domestic setting. Perhaps that's why I find it easier to judge music that was written to be played in a room the same size as the one I listen in. Sometimes I think part of the pleasure of non-classical music is in how the artificiality of it is managed and exploited- in a good way-electronics talking to electronics. What people often call "strings" we know is a synthesiser (sorry, probably only clueless people still call it that) or an amplified and/or adapted instrument so it's meant to have a different kind of bite and attack from a traditional violin.

And the playing style is also completely different, as is the ensemble style. People are aiming at different things. So this question of what genre is very interesting to me, as its about more than accuracy as such.

Still have no idea what to buy, though :wall:

A

Anonymous

The other thing is- sounds accurate to whose experience? I've made a few classical CDs (around 70 I guess over the years) and there is a big difference between recording them in a studio, which is just weird, recording them in a dummy concert hall like the Henry Wood Hall (for people who havent used it, its a full sized concert venue except there's nowehere for the actual audience, its just for rehearsal and recording, a sort of Zombie venue) , recording in a big church and recording in a concert hall live. You cant hear yourself, obviously, and the conductor cant hear you either- they get up and wander to the back of the hall, sit down four rows back, go round the edges, sit by the doors, etc- thats all because they know the punters get a different experience depending on where they sit, so they are trying to balance you out to sound OK for the max number of people. So which audience member are we trying to reproduce? the guy in the stalls? the guy in the middle?

Whereas when I've recorded with session musicians, that's all taken care of by the amplification in the venue so authenticity is a different thing.

It all makes non-chamber music very problematic for me, because it was never really meant to happen in your front room,was it? a full orchestra? I don't think so.

A

Anonymous

I am listening later this week to naim uniti kit in various flavours. I will take some piano (Schubert b flat minor) , various vocals ( rodolfus choir doing Sullivan, sixteen doing polyphony, some Arvo part) and orchestral and big vocal recordings, (Britten war requiem, Mendelssohn Elijah) plus the late Beethoven string quartets. So far it's all been lurking on forums and reading reviews!

A

Anonymous

my system, quad 909,audiolab pre amp. linn axis, music first step up thru ca 640p dl110..akito arm, mission pcm7000,thru dacmagic, lfd spiroflex speaker cables, lfd prototype interconnects, acoustic energy ae1 mk3 speakers, atacama stands...every genre of music sounds incredible! :)

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Ellenoctopus said:
I am listening later this week to naim uniti kit in various flavours. I will take some piano (Schubert b flat minor) , various vocals ( rodolfus choir doing Sullivan, sixteen doing polyphony, some Arvo part) and orchestral and big vocal recordings, (Britten war requiem, Mendelssohn Elijah) plus the late Beethoven string quartets. So far it's all been lurking on forums and reading reviews!

What, no Mahler?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
My hifi excels at accurately reproducing sounds between 30Hz to 20kHz with the minimum of distortion or coloration. This makes it sound good with every genre of music aswell as whale noises, sine wave sweeps, white noise and any other sound that I may want to reproduce without distortion.

It also has 300 watts and a subwoofer which means it has enough dynamic range to sound good with films, and computer games.

What else could you ask for in a hifi really?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts