Which genre does your kit excel with?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Hello kind people. I gave the naim kit a hard time today, with recordings from the 1980 s that I remember on vinyl through to new stuff, and everything from string quartets to Matthew passion and Rachmaninov. The poor guy doing the demo said he didn't get many actual musicians in, and just kept making the tea. Did I miss the moment when it became infra dig for posh gear to have any control over the level of bass? Because the naim may be neutral, I expect t is, but the speakers aren't, and the amount f bass was ok for a string quartet but really annoying in the Bach. I guess most people want the bass cranked up but I don't, at least not for everything. So all in ones, meh, not enough control. But it was a good clear reproduction most of the time, f a bit fuzzy in the treble. I had two kinds of speakers going but they were both weak on that. So, I need an amp that lets me fiddle with tone so I can compensate for a speaker industry that maybe isn't designed to cover the full range of balance that classical has. But I did like the naim sound, most of the time.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Ellenoctopus said:
Hello kind people. I gave the naim kit a hard time today, with recordings from the 1980 s that I remember on vinyl through to new stuff, and everything from string quartets to Matthew passion and Rachmaninov. The poor guy doing the demo said he didn't get many actual musicians in, and just kept making the tea. Did I miss the moment when it became infra dig for posh gear to have any control over the level of bass? Because the naim may be neutral, I expect t is, but the speakers aren't, and the amount f bass was ok for a string quartet but really annoying in the Bach. I guess most people want the bass cranked up but I don't, at least not for everything. So all in ones, meh, not enough control. But it was a good clear reproduction most of the time, f a bit fuzzy in the treble. I had two kinds of speakers going but they were both weak on that. So, I need an amp that lets me fiddle with tone so I can compensate for a speaker industry that maybe isn't designed to cover the full range of balance that classical has. But I did like the naim sound, most of the time.

Hi there.

For classical music, I would recommend you try amps from Pathos, Sugden and Electrocompaniet; and speakers from Sonus Faber, Spendor, Diapason, Opera, Kef (R Series) and Proac.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Ellenoctopus said:

Hi there.

For classical music, I would recommend you try amps from Pathos, Sugden and Electrocompaniet; and speakers from Sonus Faber, Spendor, Diapason, Opera, Kef (R Series) and Proac.

and to fight speaker boom I'd recommend panel speakers. look out for Mgnepans, Quad ESLs, Pio Sound, Audiostatic, Martin Logan. bass from panels is fast, agile, clear and not exaggerated. small speakers woofers introduce much more harmonic distortion, especially in deeper bass region and farting bass reflex does not help much either.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Ellenoctopus said:

Do you know I've never felt tempted to fiddle with tone controls listening to classical music. (In fact I have "Source Direct" permanently on to bypass the tone controls.) I've been very tempted with "pop" music though!

Chris

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
High Fidelity or Hi-Fi. Perfection at any level or genre. Any deviation is not High Fidelity.

Mine caters for all otherwise it would not be Hi-Fi.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Do you know I've never felt tempted to fiddle with tone controls listening to classical music.

Chris

Agreed.

I believe that if you get a system that presents the music in the way you like it, tone controls become redundant.

If the OP had a listen to an Audio Note system (which I should have mentioned), they should see what I mean.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I believe that if you get a system that presents the music in the way you like it, tone controls become redundant.

I mostly agree with you here. I like the neutral tonal character that my speakers produce and for 99% of the music that I listen to I don't use any sort of tone controls or graphic equalizer adjustments.

But there are times when badly mastered music will have altered the tonal character of the sound before it even reaches you're hifi. With some songs (such as 'Rock Superstar' by Cypress Hill) there's too much treble and not enough bass in the 100-120Hz region. A subtle tweek of about 1-2dB in these areas is enough to correct this though.

A

Anonymous

I think this is the key, it's probably not the amps fault and if I got the right speaker I wouldn't need tone controls. This is probably more about me not trusting that I can find the right speaker. Quads, eh? Hmmm.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Ellenoctopus said:
I think this is the key, it's probably not the amps fault and if I got the right speaker I wouldn't need tone controls. This is probably more about me not trusting that I can find the right speaker. Quads, eh? Hmmm.

Don't underestimate the effect an amp can have ie. Try a Sugden, Icon Audio, Pathos or Jadis, which will sound very different, especially in the mid-range.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Dougal1331 said:
Yerp, Drum and Bass.

In other words, that stuff old people regard as "tuneless noise"... ;)

(and I should have typed 'D&B' rather than 'D@B'. My oopsie.).

I am quite old and I don't mind a bit of D&B :grin:

If someone makes the mistake of stating that Electrocompaniet equipment is smooth and warm sounding I usually put on Venetian snares -Szerencscsetlen and watch them physically jump up in air when it starts :)

The look of shock and surprise on their face is priceless :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg52OSGmg7g#t=0m47

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
I'm only 29 and enjoy a bit of Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald sometimes....

....shows there is a glimmer of hope (and twice in one day); maybe you're not such a lost cause after all! :twisted:

A

Anonymous

Well the advice about panel speakers was right for me. It's the superuniti now, and an ambition to upgrade to the electrostatics I auditioned today, once I can afford it. Thank you everyone!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:
I'm only 29 and enjoy a bit of Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald sometimes....

....shows there is a glimmer of hope (and twice in one day); maybe you're not such a lost cause after all! :twisted:

Oh there's no hope for me. I'm a dubstep fan. :dance:

I can't hold that against you....I'm deciding on the next Ott album to get - Mir, Blumenkraft or Dub Remixes.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Dougal1331 said:
Yerp, Drum and Bass.

In other words, that stuff old people regard as "tuneless noise"... ;)

(and I should have typed 'D&B' rather than 'D@B'. My oopsie.).

It would always be unfair to call somebody's music "tuneless noise". I don't understand the music of the current generation but I remember my parents didn't understand the music of the 1960s. De gustibus non est disputandum

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts