Which genre does your kit excel with?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I'd rather assumed you were 33, but at least I now know the PIN code for your bank card :)

The user name 'Steve' had already been taken when I tried to join. I was listening to the Smashing Pumpkins at the time so I added the number 1979 to the end.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Ellenoctopus said:
Well the advice about panel speakers was right for me. It's the superuniti now, and an ambition to upgrade to the electrostatics I auditioned today, once I can afford it. Thank you everyone!

my pleseure! :)

may I ask what ESLs you aditioned? I'm guessing they were Quads. but was it the big boys or the baby brother?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Ellenoctopus said:
Well the advice about panel speakers was right for me. It's the superuniti now, and an ambition to upgrade to the electrostatics I auditioned today, once I can afford it. Thank you everyone!

Glad you got sorted.

A

Anonymous

No, I listened to some Martin logans, but when I'm properly in the market for speakers I will listen to quads too. The main thing was reassurance that the superuniti was capable of making the right sound once I get round to buying better speakers. It will do ok for now with the ones I have.

One interesting thing was playing the same track first on the superuniti and then back on the uniti2. The uniti2 sounded fine first time round. After I'd heard the same thing on the superuniti i went back and played it again on the uniti2, and it sounded as if someone had put a paper bag over my head.

So now I need a cheap nas to compensate for spending 500 more on getting the superuniti... 2 terabytes..any ideas? Don't say, get a laptop, if there's a laptop always on, the kids will nick it to play angry birds.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Ellenoctopus said:
No, I listened to some Martin logans, but when I'm properly in the market for speakers I will listen to quads too.

I'm pretty much sure those Martin Logans you listened were hybrid speakers in the way that mid and high frequencies were covered by the ESL panel and bass duties were entrusted to a dynamic speaker. the bass driver will always be active in hybrid Martin Logans, which is a good thing because active bass sounds better than passive in case of dynamic speakers.

but you'd do well to listen to a full range ESL (like the new Quads ESL 2912) or ribbon/magnetostats (like Magnepans MG3.7 - quasi ribbon speakers for bass/midrange panel and true ribon for highs) if you can accommodate such bulky speakers in your listening room. planar bass is something completely different from dynamic speaker bass, even active. there's more resolution and it's quicker. but it'll not stretch down to subterranean levels or the speakers would have to be impractically large. but I thing lower 30-ties region is low enough for most people in most cases...

happy auditioning when the right time comes! :wave:

A

Anonymous

Yes, they were hybrids- but Im not looking for more bass, I actually want to keep it down from what you get with normal speakers. I will definitely listen across a range- though the domestic discussion about great big things standing out from the walls in the sitting room, is one I will have to go through.

But my new toys will arrive next week :cheer:

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
Electro said:
I usually put on Venetian snares -Szerencscsetlen

I love this tune!

I'm a big fan of electronica but never been too much keen on D&B but that album of Venetian Snares where that tune comes from is something else...

Yes I do too :) . Aaron Funk is a bit of a genius and I think his skill makes the label on the type of music he creates almost irrelevant .

idc

My kit excels with anything complicated with many instruments as it is so detailed. In theory its detail and lack of bass emphasis means it excels with classical, jazz, soundtracks and not with much of the music which i do listen to, such as rock, prog rock, indie and post rock.

But, to me it excels with those genres as well as I love the detail and do not mind drums and bass being more to the background. I invariable find at concerts I want to the drummer to be quieter!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts