Which formats do you use the most?

matthewpiano

I asked this question a couple of years ago and the answers were interesting then, so I thought it would be interesting to see how things might have changed.

How is your listening time generally split between different formats? Which formats do you listen to the most, and which do you find you enjoy most consistently?

For me, I listen mostly to CD at present but I generally enjoy vinyl more despite only currently having a very basic turntable and phono stage. Streamed music through my Squeezebox is also seeing increased use.

A

Anonymous

Evening Matthew,

Well after the week I've had I am luck to even be enjoying music tonight. Two broken DAC's and an amp that just totally died on me last night, Any way all is good now, although my wallet is lighter.

Any way back to your post, In first place It's PC to DAC using Spotify premium interface which also plays all my apple lossless files, Then my iPad and superlux headphones with Spotify again and TuneIn radio. Then my car cd stereo, which is rather good as it happens, then my Pure DAB radio.

and that's that.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
CDs over vinyl. but only because I've got more CDs than vinyl and my CDP is way better than my TT + phono pre combo. if I upgrade the TT and phono pre to what I want to get in the future and buy more vinyl in the meantime these odds may change.

BTW. I come from digital generation. I started off with collecting music on a bigger scale some 10 years ago (decent computer audio was only pioneering) and 99% of it was mp3. and despite todays fad for streeming audio, DACs and other gizmos related to computers and digital I think vinyl is future for me (as long as black discs are still pressed). vinyl definitely has some charm to it IMO... :)

A

Anonymous

oh and this week my Sony Blu ray due to certain annoying situation!

A

Anonymous

If we are talking about dedicated listening time I would say 90% digital, 10% CD. Digital mainly in the form of iTunes though Spotify is superb for music discovery and has brought some great music into my collection.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
100% Flac, streamed to a Linn DS and stored on a RipNas. There's some 24 bit stuff on there, courteously provided by Linn, when I bought their DS.

Oh, and a little bit of Linn radio (which sounds great)

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Mostly CDs and 6 music at home and the spotify app while out and about! I have been using AirPlay to stream spotify to myAE a bit lately as it seems to work better than airfoil via my pc. Airfoil always used to get lots of drop outs so didn't get used much. it also means I don't have to put my computer on now which is a bonus!

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
At home, it's all Apple Lossless (ripped from CD's then they're stored) from an iMac to the Hi-fi.

In the car, it's CD's when they're new and then MP3 (VBR) from the iPod.

If this question was asked six months ago, the answer would probably be a little different. Currently, certainly over recent weeks, radio. Usually Radio 4 Extra, radio 2 (generally on freewivew) and the commercial stuff via the Marantz (Heart FM, Absolute, Jackie, XFM...). Hardly played the CD player and turntable...

T

the record spot

CDs at home, Spotify Premium on my Nokia E52 and offline on my iPod Touch when out, also WAV file on iTunes on the touch. Occasionally Spotify and iTunes at home through the Spitfire DAC. No vinyl for now with the kids being as, er, busy as they are at three years old - the P3 still sits atop the wardrobe!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Everything (except FM) via iPhone 4 and Airplay. (Itunes, BBC iPlayer radio, internet radio).

FM radio* (with a good roof aerial and a great signal).

I still have all my CDs - and will keep them - but I haven't played one since March (just to ensure the player in my newly purchased M-CR603 wiorked ok).

*I will be playing FM radio, for at least part of the day, every day until they switch it off.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Almost all of my listening is Apple lossless running from my iPod classic via a digital transport. Ocassionally listen to CDs and the odd SACD.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Until about 2 weeks ago it was almost entirely CDs, with a bit of radio (DAB and Freeview), but I've been experimenting with playing FLAC files from my laptop through a Fubar 4 to my amp, and I'm very happy with the results. I've already got a NAS and my plans are to buy an audio streamer - not too sure which one at the moment - then I think CD usage (not purchases though) will drop significantly.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I listen to CDs almost all of the time but also listen to DAB or FM radio a little.
Sold all my vinyl approx 15 years ago and only had CDs and cassettes to listen to but found due to poor quality of cassettes that I stopped listening to them and gave them all away.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Purely CD's with the odd hook-up of a Pure Evoke-1S for radio.

I did look in to computer based music from the point of view of ripping all my CD's as I'm very interested in DAC's, but the thought of buying a laptop, hard drives, and faffing about on a screen really put me off. I prefer to listen to a whole album in any case, and there's always the skip button for tracks I really don't like.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I listen still mainly on cd when I am purely listening but I use spotify for trying new things and will buy the cd if its to my liking but am thinking of changing this with the aquisition of a musicstreamer 11.If this gives me a good hifi sound I may as well just stick to spotify . I am also ressurecting my vinyl as more a nostalgia thing but I grew up on vinyl and lost half my collection due to dry rot and can not see myself going back to buying it at present but I still love my lp's. I also listen to fm radio in my kitchen but anywhere else I listen to digital radio usually 2 or 6 ( I hate adverts)via the internet, i player a fabulous thing, or digital tv sometimes through a hifi or AV. Interesting to see what other people do, I realise I am way behind any digital reveloution but in no way feel I am losing out on my music.

daveloc

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
For music, now almost exclusively CD, hires DVD/BD when available, plus a little DAB timeshifting.

Having spent most of the nineties converting from analogue to digital, and most of the last decade experimenting with computer-based media, I've given up and gone back to physical copy. Might need to buy a better player again eventually, but the drop in the computer spec to SSD netbook/tablet will pay for it...

A

Anonymous

90% apple lossless, 10% CDs (because I'm too lazy to rip them :p )

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts