Which DAC???

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I now have a standard Asus Netbook (1.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD) running Windows XP Home Edition. On this I have Spotify Premium, iTunes (Apple Lossless) and Foobar2000 (96kHz - 24bit FLAC). I can control this remotely via my iPad using either the Spotify and iTunes Remote Apps or VNC Viewer. All music files are saved to a 500GB external HD and this is then connected to the netbook for accessing music files.

I intend to use this Netbook as a music server either connected to my main system or alternatively and more likely / often to use as a stand alone system with Headphones as a small lounge setup.

I am therefore looking to add a DAC and Headphone Amplifier to get the most out of the Lossless and FLAC files....but this is where I am lost and looking for help. Do I go for a all in one DAC / HP Amplifier or a dedicated DAC and potentially use my existing MF XCAN V2 HP Amp? Combined would obviously mean one less box to site somewhere and would give a very small system footprint.

What I do know at the moment is that the DAC side will need to be able to take 24/96kHz signals via USB, but would still like to have the options for additional connectivity and must have RCA outs. I am looking to probably spend up to about £600.00.

Therefore looking for advice from anyone, with regards to potentially suitable DAC's I could consider and ideally that people have experience of. So far I have the following on a potential Audition list:

Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus

AudioLab MDAC

Furutech ADL GT40

Burson HA160D (slightly out of my ideal price range)

Can anybody recommend any other or have any experience of the above they can share?

Please help :)

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
I have an rDAC that I can do a very reasonable deal on :shifty:

Hahaha......trust you. I've not heard very good things about the rDAC though....a lot of people dont like the sound....also I didnt think they take a 24/96 signal via USB.

By the way had to get the Denon's exchanged......the pair I bought were "Open Box" and they had a constant vibration in the left cup, especially at higher volumes and bass heavy tracks. The exchange pair arrived today and they look brand new...unopened box and still with the protective selophane covering. They sound 1000 times better in all ways :)

ANyway back to the original question...any suggestions on DAC's???

VinylRush

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
It's probably out of the Rega and the Audiolab in your list.

Rega = Warm, smooth sound with sweet top end, but less detail. You would probably need to factor in a async USB converter to get the best out of the Rega e.g. V-Link.

Audiolab = more detailed/analytical, but could be slightly cold sounding in the wrong system. But has more features and has async USB 24/96 as standard.

I guess it's about system synergy at the end of the day. Oh and another thing, Audiolab might be hard to get hold of before New Year. Sold out everywhere.

Cheers.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
I have an rDAC that I can do a very reasonable deal on :shifty:

You could always email me at jwallis67@googlemail.com

Personally I am being drawn to the rDAC, MDAC or new DacMagic....obviously the latter two both have headphone outputs. Just waiting on the review of the DacMagic here soon...hopefully :)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I am also thinking about Audiolab MDAC vs the CA DAC Magic Plus...let me know if you find something good! I also like the M2Tech Young DAC but it does not have an headphone input which is quite important for me as well...and I am not so much interested in having a great USB connection as I will be mainly using the streamer for music...

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Hahaha......trust you. I've not heard very good things about the rDAC though....a lot of people dont like the sound....also I didnt think they take a 24/96 signal via USB.
It sounds OK, I just don't hear much improvement if any over the analogue output of the Sonos. Just FYI though the rDAC does do 24/96 over USB and is asyn also.

Jason36 said:
By the way had to get the Denon's exchanged......the pair I bought were "Open Box" and they had a constant vibration in the left cup, especially at higher volumes and bass heavy tracks. The exchange pair arrived today and they look brand new...unopened box and still with the protective selophane covering. They sound 1000 times better in all ways :)
Excellent.......I'm surprised you didn't get them to send some 5k's instead :grin:

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Ooh I have just seen the Schiit Audio Bitfrost and Valhalla HP Amp combination.....veeeerry nice. Asynchronous Data transfer and 24/192 via USB.

Combined these would come in at approximately the same price as say the REGA, Audiolab, MF.

I'm very very tempted......well Christmas is coming and failing that....it's my birthday in March :)

A

Anonymous

I've got both the Schiit Valhalla and the Asgard. Bifrost should be delivered on Friday. :)

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
MoData said:
I've got both the Schiit Valhalla and the Asgard. Bifrost should be delivered on Friday. :)

How do you find the Valhalla and the Asgard......how different do they sound? Are you based in the UK and if so did you use a UK based supplier or direct from Schiit? Would be interested in hearing more about the Bitfrost once you have it.

A

Anonymous

MoData said:

I have the Brio-R like yourself and i use the Schiit Lyr. I'm currently in the market for a DAC, been happy with both my Brio and Lyr I'm considering the Rega DAC and the Bifrost.

Can you shed any light in my direction?

Cheers

Sorry for the thread hijack! Hope it's relevent!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts