Which DAC ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 195594

I think I'll ship all my gear over too, I'm worried now that it's all cack and needs measuring pronto. I'd love that kind of deep, forensic analysis and have it pictured with the Pink Panther. And if some of it was anywhere near proclaimed as ok by the HiFi messiah himself, I could sleep well that night. I'll probably just send one of my speakers though, seems that's the way to test and review, maybe I've been doing it wrong and should only listen to a single speaker from a pair...... they'd last twice as long I suppose

D

Deleted member 195594

To get it back on track I think I'm going to go for the njc reference dac .I like the idea of hand made with some expensive components.
What do we all think?
I was in a similar position to you; pondering and dithering over my next DAC and glad I went with the NJC. As you say its nicely put together with a lot of care and attention to build quality and components. It may not end up being your end game DAC but it will do a bloody good job in the meantime.

I'm not saying it will be my final DAC either, but I'm not sat there thinking "it could be better than this". It does a great job of letting the music through without messing about with it. I'll be changing my Streamer before the NJC, that's for sure

The plot thickens.
The Leema DAC has had its review and is on its way back to the UK here's the link for the review.

Comments on a post card
My views on these tuppence-ha'penny reviews are lower than a snakes....

As someone who loves the Leema sound, the Elements Dac would be high on my list to demo. Just get a demo before deciding. If you like it... Bingo! If not move on to one of the other brands recommended in this thread.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Another njc reference dac owner here..and I totally agree with painter 24's findings...it may not be your end game piece but it'll go a long way and probably a good few bob to find something better...and the guys are just such a pleasure to deal with.I did put in a order a few weeks ago for their phono stage..but the guy's were having some problems getting a hold of the aluminium they use...(thanks brexit), I ended up giving a project tubebox ds2 a go....but I will re-visit njc's phono stage when things are a bit more normal, if that ever happens..just wish they'd get a proper amp and source out there..lol.

Last edited:
What Dac has he sold?

No comment on the NJC Reference, but at sub £500 will it be better than a £1200 Dac? Can't bleat one way or another but I'd be surprised if it was. Not saying more expensive is better, doesn't always work that way in hi-fi, but if you have a amp that cost £3500 when new.... and the same brand....

I think I'll ship all my gear over too, I'm worried now that it's all cack and needs measuring pronto. I'd love that kind of deep, forensic analysis and have it pictured with the Pink Panther. And if some of it was anywhere near proclaimed as ok by the HiFi messiah himself, I could sleep well that night. I'll probably just send one of my speakers though, seems that's the way to test and review, maybe I've been doing it wrong and should only listen to a single speaker from a pair...... they'd last twice as long I suppose
:)

Hey PP...just think about this,..njc audio do not advertise, they do not have any retail stockists etc....their overheads are minimum....what do you think their gear would cost if.....they played the game and relented to the usual retail model?
I totally understand that. A number of hi-fi companies have had similar business models, where they didn't use dealers or advertising. @Al ears is a big fan of Arcaydis speakers which had the same philosophy.

My point is IMHO it would be silly if he purchased a component without listening to the Elements, even if it means buying at near full price and using the returns.

For the record, most, if not all, of these companies who don't use dealers have gone out of business.

aversaurus

The DAC I have sold was the roksan k3.I would have bought the elements weeks ago if the seller hadn't sent it on a world tour .As for the njc I do like the idea of UK hand built I'm also a fan of arcaydis speaker I own to sets .I have sent a email of enquiry to njc so I haven't committed just yet.

The DAC I have sold was the roksan k3.I would have bought the elements weeks ago if the seller hadn't sent it on a world tour .As for the njc I do like the idea of UK hand built I'm also a fan of arcaydis speaker I own to sets .I have sent a email of enquiry to njc so I haven't committed just yet.
It's actually the original EB Acoustics speakers I have, since taken over by Arcaydis, but same thing really.
I too am all for keeping the UK manufacturers going hence my Tom Evans kit.....
if I wanted a DAC I would certainly be looking at NJC

Reactions: aversaurus
D

Deleted member 195594

For the record, most, if not all, of these companies who don't use dealers have gone out of business.

No doubt, and all the more reason to buy from them (providing the company is selling a product you may actually want of course 😊).

Better value for the buying public, and I feel its good supporting enterprises like this. Cottage industries who are not beholden to corporate behemoths, and are free to design and build what they want at reasonable price points. As Skinnypuppy pointed out; if the NJC was a regular retail product, you'd arguably be getting the same product, but would have to probably add on around another 40 to 50% you or I would need to hand over to purchase it, due to distribution costs, advertising/marketing and retailer's margin.

I think in this case, just <£500 for the NJC for what you get performance and build-wise would put it up in the £700 or more (probably conservative) bracket if hypothetically it was an orthodox retail product.

No doubt, and all the more reason to buy from them (providing the company is selling a product you may actually want of course 😊).

Better value for the buying public, and I feel its good supporting enterprises like this. Cottage industries who are not beholden to corporate behemoths, and are free to design and build what they want at reasonable price points. As Skinnypuppy pointed out; if the NJC was a regular retail product, you'd arguably be getting the same product, but would have to probably add on around another 40 to 50% you or I would need to hand over to purchase it, due to distribution costs, advertising/marketing and retailer's margin.

I think in this case, just <£500 for the NJC for what you get performance and build-wise would put it up in the £700 or more (probably conservative) bracket if hypothetically it was an orthodox retail product.
I've no qualms with that. Yes, if sold via retail you would be looking at £900-1000. As we all know it's horses for courses, and very personal. I've never purchased any substantial amount on hi-fi without hearing it first. Those Dali speakers I demoed twice as my thoughts kept going back after hearing very good competition

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts