Which Blueray player

Razzler

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi I have set up my Onkyo 606 today with 1010i speaker package and am now considering the next addition, a blueray player. Budget between £200-£300.

Have read some if the reviews, the Panasonic DMP-BD35 or the Sony BDP-S350. The Sony review refers to the fact there is no onboarding decoding for DTS-HD, does this matter as my 606 will do this etc. I will want a player that also plays normal DVD with upscalling and maybe CD's etc.

Any thoughts / reccomendation
emotion-40.gif
s

A

Anonymous

Razzler wrote:
Any thoughts / recommendations

Only one...

Step away from the post button!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd take the Panasonic out of those two - edges the Sony for sound - but if you shop around/increase your budget by a little (@£320), you could land the newer, Pioneer BDP-F51: would beat both the budget players for sound and vision.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I agree with Clare, but an alternative would be the Sony 550 for £219 at RS and i think Vip members can get the Pioneer for £299. both of these will be better then the two you mention, but may be instore only.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:I'd take the Panasonic out of those two - edges the Sony for sound - but if you shop around/increase your budget by a little (@£320), you could land the newer, Pioneer BDP-F51: would beat both the budget players for sound and vision.

Ooh i was thinking about that one, or one of the new panies - the bd80 is especially interesting due to the 'playback information' function - non essential i guess but sounds useful.

You cant really give me a steer there yet tho can you...

Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure a very slow local dealer are doing the panny 35 and 55 for a good price. Do you think that pioneer bests the 55? I guess it does, based on the star rating. Looks very chunky, is that fair?

Sincere apologies to the OP!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, i'd take the Pioneer '51 over the Panasonic 55 - unless I had an older, non HD Audio receiver, in which case the Pana's DTS-HD on-board decoding might sway me....

But with new models due out v.soon, if you're prepared to wait a month or so, there may be some tempting new options... Lot of wasted movie-watching hours, though!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Clare.

By the by, there was some kind of firmware issue with that pioneer at first wasnt there? Is that now sorted so it'll be ok out of the box, or will i have to download and load something, or something...?

(Oops. rushes off to check on the nature of the "problem" again, in case it isnt relevant to me...)

EDIT - my amp is immaterial at the moment as i dont have one. I havent real;y made my mind up on the whole HC thing yet, but I know i want a BDP and someone is waiting to take my DVD player off my hands when i get one.

I guess getting the pioneer dictates what level of reciever id have to go for, but at least that helps with my decision making...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Firmware update should bring the Pioneer level with the Panasonic re. audio decoding. There have been a few operational glitches but most (all?) have been ironed out by now. It's a superb player and nicely built. I chose it over the LX71 and Denon's Transport only 2500BT used with one of the company's high end AV receivers because of similar picture/sound quality. It was a short dem and relatively easy decision. Now available for much less than RRP. I never tried the panasonic for aesthetic and operational reasons as I have a Kuro but i believe it is difficult to find it now. I don't think it would be either much better or worse.

It's also a good cdp due to quality audio section though that may not be important to you.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:

Firmware update should bring the Pioneer level with the Panasonic re. audio decoding. There have been a few operational glitches but most (all?) have been ironed out by now. It's a superb player and nicely built. I chose it over the LX71 and Denon's Transport only 2500BT used with one of the company's high end AV receivers because of similar picture/sound quality. It was a short dem and relatively easy decision. Now available for much less than RRP. I never tried the panasonic for aesthetic and operational reasons as I have a Kuro but i believe it is difficult to find it now. I don't think it would be either much better or worse.

It's also a good cdp due to quality audio section though that may not be important to you.

Cheers. Silly, shallow wee question i know, but do you knw if the lights can be turned off...?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
al7478:drummerman:

Cheers. Silly, shallow wee question i know, but do you knw if the lights can be turned off...?

Yep it has a dimmer/dpl off function. All but one tiny red led. I quite like the more sophisticated display and blue led's ... just as shallow.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Hehe.

Thanks again.

Just need to mull over that HD audio concern. Think I've settled on something like the pioneer or one o' the new pannies. Think I've ruled out the old ones...

Further apologies, OP.

EDIT - By the by, are the dimensions listed in the review of the pioneer here really real, particularly the depth? It really is a monster!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts