Which blu ray player?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am tempted to buy blu ray player sony360 due to the low price at the moment, but as i have an old sony 5.1 all in one system, i know i wont be able to get hd sound. The amp as got optical in and optical out, my samsung tv is full hd. So should i go for the sony blu ray or a multichannel blu ray player? Keep reading about multichannel not sure what it means or what difference it makes if any?

Selby

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Go for a Player that has the multi-channel outputs. The Blue Ray Player will conduct the decoding and your existing AV Amplifier will still provide you a good service. Ive plumped for the Sony S760.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Players such as the Sony BDP-S760 have analogue outputs which can connect to an older amplifier that does not have the newer HD codecs built in or an HDMI socket that accepts the picture and sound.

Check your amplifier to see if it has 6 - 8 phono inputs on the back labelled something like 'multichannel in'. If it has, the above player will decode the soundtrack onboard and send it to your amp via these cables. Your old amp will then play the sound through your existing speakers and you will experience the new HD soundtracks available on BD discs.

Alternatively post the model of amp you currently have and we'll be able to tell you if you have multichannel inputs although being an all-in-one system I doubt you'll have the connections.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

hi thanks for info! My system is sony dav s800. it has not got phono inputs or multi channel inputs! so is it not worth going for a multi channel blu ray player then?

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Not in my opinion but don't let that influence your decision.

Multichannel outputs are an 'extra' on a BD player - if you don't need them you won't use them. If you were choosing between two players and required this option (which you don't) then go for the one with the multichannel outputs.

The Sony BDP-S360 or BDP-S560 is virtually the same player without the multichannel outs and would therefore save you a bit of money if you bought this rather than the 760 model. As always though, have a demo first to ensure you are happy with picture quality and features.

You would still get an HD picture but be limited to Dolby Digital or DTS sound as long as your system supports these formats.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:You could, of course, retire/move to another room/sell on your existing Sony system and invest in a new, all-in-one Blu-ray system - the Sony BDV-E300 (review here) is an excellent example for £400

have been looking at that route and the review for the sony BDV- E300

A

Anonymous

Just going off the subject, someone told me if i cut the ends off the speaker cables going into my amp, i could connect them to a new reciever/ amp and still use my speakers and sub!!!!!!!!! I dont understand much about these things, but i would not have thought you could do that as its an all in one system?

A

Anonymous

tinytots:

Clare Newsome:You could, of course, retire/move to another room/sell on your existing Sony system and invest in a new, all-in-one Blu-ray system - the Sony BDV-E300 (review here) is an excellent example for £400

have been looking at that route and the review for the sony BDV- E300
How about the Panasonic SC- BT 200( which one of the two would you go for clare?)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts