Which blank CDs?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Apologies if I have missed previous discussions of this.

What brand / type of blank CDs do people use to copy their CDs? Are there better and worse ones for music / audio quality?

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I would recommend Verbatim Datalife Plus.Very rarely fail to burn and have good compatability.Don`t know if different brands sound better or worse but would advise to burn at 8X max and maybe even try 4X

A

Anonymous

Certainly I use Verbatim and think they are as good as any. I use the printable CD-R ones.

For some odd reason I get more errors (using my PC) if I burn at slow speeds. I just let the PC decide the best speed now and get error free copies virtually every time.

russ74

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
I mainly use Sony cd-r's as well, never had any compatibility or error issues. Also never had any issues with Woolworths Worth It cd-r's which look and feel better made than other cheap discs.Conversely I have had issues with the cheaper memorex and daewoo discs.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to all of you for replying so swiftly. I'll give the Sonys or the Verbatims a try.

A

Anonymous

I have used many brands over the years for both my audio cd recorder and pc and have had no compatibility problems with any of the main brands but have had many problems with the lifetime certain pc discs.

I burnt several vinyl lps onto cdr using my usb turntable. I tested them immediatelty and they worked fine. They were then stored in jewel cases and filed away. When I went to play them a few months later they were covered in a sticky film and were unplayable. Think they were Datawrite ones.

Maybe just a bad batch but I now use maninly Taiyo Yuden discs. These are more expensive, about £20 for 100, but have greater reliability and longevity. I have burnt about 200 so far over the last three years and have had no coasters and have worked on every cd / dvd player that I or my friends have tried.

I also use cdr audio discs for best quality on my pc. These are much more expensive, 10 for £5, but are now harder to find because CD Recorders are no longer popular due to pc recording but offer far greater reliability, compatibility, etc. I use these if I ever copy a disc that I have borrowed that it is no longer available to buy.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Datawrite a few years ago were absolutely awful. But NOW I 'swear' by Datawrite Titaniums of which I have tons of cd-rs and dvd-rs, NONE of which have EVER broken down on me. Also, some of the cheaper makes whilst record ok and sound fine REALLY struggle on certain cd players when skipping tracks!

The dvd-rs in fact are the ONLY dvds Ive tried that have worked on 'all' dvd players (be it pc or hifi)

A

Anonymous

ianmcg, thanks for this. I guess this is what motivated my question originally - the vague memory of CD-R Audio blanks. I remembered hearing about them, but couldn't find any on Amazon, Ebuyer, Dabs, etc. - at least not on the basis of a superficial search. Your explanation, that they were made for CD recorders, explains why. Since many members of this forum seem to be happy with ordinary CD-Rs, I'll give the Sony ones a try. Just ordered 50...

A

Anonymous

Richer Sounds do a 25 pack spindle of Maxell CDR Audio for £6.99. Have used a number of these over the years on both my cd recorder and pc and have had no problems. Some are over 10 years old and are still playing fine and are unmarked. I use them still for rare vinyl / cd copies.

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
In the past, TDK and Verbatim have given me zero coasters (except where the PC or cd writer was at fault). These days, I use HHB because it's what we use at work.

There is a whole article somewhere about the virtues of Taiyo Yuden CD-R's, especially for long term archiving but I've never taken it any further.

My first 'gold' TDK CD-R's from about 1995 still work in my PC. Burned on a University PC with an external CD writer on a SCSI card - the combined cost was something like £3k at the time (not including the PC itself!) I bought my folks a new DVD writer recently for under £20 - how times have changed!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:I use Sony CD-Rs and haven't had any problems with compatibility or errors.

Posh! I am using Audio only one
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts