Which Amp?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
"Oh, not more ramblings on your so far non-existant HC setup..." I hear some of you moan.

Sorry. But yes.

I might be in a position to do it early next year, and im gathering serious ideas now.

Thing is, it will only be 2 channel for the foreseeable, and i odnt want to just use my existing spekaers, i want to build a separate setup.

So, i was just going to get a 2 channel amp, and still might. Something like this maybe. But then I'm only really considering that because it looks the part and is much cheaper than the original £500 i saw quoted soewhere. Its pretty much at the top end of what id stretch to.

On the other hand, i could go for something like this. This one has the advantage of being much more affordable (it can be found with p&p for comfortably less than 300 in fact). It also growth built into it, if i ever go multi channel. One disadvantage of course is there may be developments by then which mean i need more functionality; i guess we'll never know.

I may have answered my own question, but im in a conundrum as its very much a secondary thing for me, after music. In fact, a third option would be to just get a very cheap (but black, natch) stereo amp...

On a side issue, does anyone have any issues with putting the sky box on top of the bd35, as that will have to be the way if i get any other box in my unit at all...

idc

Hi al. I heard the Yamaha in Audio Merchants in Glasgow and I was very impressed. It had a very good all-round sound, though there was maybe a little lack of detail. I was listening to tracks off 'Dark Sound of The Moon'.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for that. It wouldnt really be used for intensive music listening tho of course. maybe the odd music dvd and some music based tv like Later... and some sky srts stuff, depending whats on. Thats why im tempted by HC amp.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
I think at the price of the yamaha you can get more balanced amps.CA840 or evem 740.provide greater control and more detail.YEs ive compared them side by side

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Sorry to be so needy but does anyone know my telly and exactly how best to hook a stereo amp up to it? im having trouble finding my manual, but its around somewhere...

Im almost tempted by that new q acoustics solution - Q-TV2. I'm even thinking of going to Manchester to see it. But it seems a bit of a faff compared to just getting an amp and speakers - tho they need to be compact and sit right next to my tv on the unit for the foreseeable. Therefore im thinking the bigger kef eggs or monitor audio had radius speakers. If anone has any other suggestions id be glad to hear them.

Still very tempted to go for overkill and get that sony tho, as its such great value. i may never go surround or have the full benefit of hd sound, but its still tempting. And id have an amp if i ever did want to go that way...

TRENDING THREADS