which amp to run 2 sets of B&W 685 speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there guys, I'm trying to figure out which amp would best suit my stereo system? i currently own a nad c525bee cd player, nad 325bee stereo amp all playing through a set of b&w 685 speakers..... the problem is that i would like to connect my second set of 685 speakers but my amp doesn't have a speaker selector a & b option. I've also tested the nad 525bee and cambridge topaz stereo amps but found the sound unpleasant(not that there's anything wrong with the products). At low volumes the bass was to over powering and at high volume the sound was screaching. i would love to be able to run both sets of speakers in seperate rooms but don't know which amp will suit my ear! Unfortunately in Cape Town, South Africa their are not many stores that have a wide variety of amps so i am unable to test any without ordering and paying....

Hi Xen

Have you also considered the NAD C356BEE? The C356BEE will build on the strenghts of the C325BEE and the its PowerDrive circuitry will help keep the 685's in check (paricularly if you're going to use both pairs of speakers at the same time).

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

ok thanx guys! will definitely try an test the 356, now with regards to the splitter.... would my current amp have enough power to run both speakers simutaneously ? also would their be an impetance problem?

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't connect two pairs of speakers to the a+b terninals of any amp, especially not speakers that dip as low as 3 ohm, like yours. Connecting two of those is a sure way to destroy either your amp or your listening pleasure.

Get a power amplifier and connect it to your 325's preouts. Or failing that, get a second 325bee and connect its main in to the preouts.

A

Anonymous

Dont agree with the above comments at all

The NAD C355BEE integrated amp I had a while back (more or less same spec and power as the latter C356BEE integrated) drove a pair of Acoustic Energy AE109's in the dining room and some B&W 685's in the living room with NO issues what so ever. It drove them well and very loud at times with no clipping or overheating troubles

However I do agree that a decent 2nd hand power amp such as the NAD C275 or even an Arcam alpha 10P power amp would be a good idea as well

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts