• Cambridge Audio AX R100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (which one ?)

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Vyslon

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
Hello, in terms of budget, I chosed to invest 500£ in a stereo amp, which one should I chose ? Marantz PM6006 (UK Edition not available in my country), Cambrige Audio AXR100 or any other amp ? Is the Marantz PM6006 powerful enough for these speakers?

Reactions: MUSICRAFT
Personally I think you've budgeted the wrong way around with £500 on an amp and £900 on speakers but whatever, if you already own them and only have that sort of money for the amp then the Marantz is a pretty good choice.
What sources are you using for your music, for example there's little point in paying for an inbuilt phono preamp if you're never going to connect a turntable.
Likewise the AX-R100 is a receiver, do you need the inbuilt radio?
So more information might be help here.
You might also look at the Rotel A11 if you do need that inbuilt phono stage.
Depending on which country you are in it might be helpful if you list other amps that you can get.
The Cambridge is more powerful than the Marantz but usually only available through the RicherSounds stores, it's completely different to the Marantz having no inbuilt phono.

Vyslon

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
It's 500 pounds / 600 euros, I'm from France.

I will use my laptop, no turntable.

I don't really need the inbuilt radio, the most important thing for me is quality and power.

You want the whole list ? You can check on this website

Is it better than the AX R100 ? Or as good but without the tuner ?
Personally I would say better but others might disagree, I haven't heard the AX R100 though as have little interest in receivers. Bear in mind part of the costs will have gone into the inclusion of the radio section so less spent elsewhere. If you don't need it don't pay for it.

Reactions: Vyslon

Vyslon

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
Personally I would say better but others might disagree, I haven't heard the AX R100 though as have little interest in receivers. Bear in mind part of the costs will have gone into the inclusion of the radio section so less spent elsewhere. If you don't need it don't pay for it.
Hmmm let's say I increase to 800€ / 700£, is the Audiolab 6000A the best option ? :D

Vyslon

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
Not sure really, it's only 50wpc but often this is enough and not too meaningful
It's certainly another option, don't have much experience with new audiolab kit.
Are you looking to buy from that website you sent me?
Yes exactly, you have another idea?

Not really. The Audiolab has everything you need I understand and the power transformer in it is good so it should suit your needs.
I have to say again I have not heard it and still like the Yamaha amplifiers, but it is all a matter of personal choice
The Audiolab has a built-in phono preamp that you don't need and no USB input although it does have digital inputs.
If this is OK it looks pretty good from reviews.

"
  • Snappy and attacking timing
  • Deep bass and gripping highs
"
This convinced me but without testing it is quite hard
I understand its difficult. Read as many reviews as you can of the amplifier and don't pay for anything you don't need.
If you buy it for a good price it may be possible to sell it on if you do not get on with it without losing too much money.
Enjoy!

I would suggest you also look at the used market and the discontinued Rotel RA-1062. The RA-1062 has the power and current to get on top of and keep the Oberon 7's firmly in check.

And pair the RA-1062 with the discontinued Arcam irDAC MK1 or the irDAC MK2.
A good choice but it appears, due to lockdown, that he wants to get it from a French website.
I believe that Rotel was rated at 60wpc but that's sufficient I guess.

A good choice but it appears, due to lockdown, that he wants to get it from a French website.
I believe that Rotel was rated at 60wpc but that's sufficient I guess.

He can have a look at sites such as eBay, etc. though.

Yes, 60w of current rich power though rather then just fancy current starved paper watts. Fwiw, the RA-1062 was partly designed with 801’s and in comparison Oberon 7’s will be a walk in the park for the RA-1062.

Vyslon

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
He can have a look at sites such as eBay, etc. though.

Yes, 60w of current rich power though rather then just fancy current starved paper watts. Fwiw, the RA-1062 was partly designed with 801’s and in comparison Oberon 7’s will be a walk in the park for the RA-1062.
It will be hard for me to find the RA-1062

Reactions: MUSICRAFT

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts