Which Amp can you recommend?

I have just been handed down some B&W 700 series speakers and having bi-wired/amped them to my Marantz 6002 ing. amp but it just doesn't seem powerful enough to drive the sound sufficiently through the speakers.

Since I was handed the speakers I am tempted to treat myself to a new amp (not necessarily first hand) to one that is well suited to the B&W speakers, pro-ject turntable and pre-amp.

Any suggestions at this stage would be really helpful as I am not hi fi savvy in the slightest but really appreciate high fidelity.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
David Benjamin said:
I have just been handed down some B&W 700 series speakers and having bi-wired/amped them to my Marantz 6002 ing. amp but it just doesn't seem powerful enough to drive the sound sufficiently through the speakers.

Since I was handed the speakers I am tempted to treat myself to a new amp (not necessarily first hand) to one that is well suited to the B&W speakers, pro-ject turntable and pre-amp.

Any suggestions at this stage would be really helpful as I am not hi fi savvy in the slightest but really appreciate high fidelity.

Rotel is a good place to start looking - ive not heard one before

David Benjamin said:

Try single wiring the speakers first. Never been a big fan of bi-wiring. If that doesn't suffice then look for a s/hand Rotel 10 series, depending on budget. If you can stretch your budget the Rotel 15 series would be better.

Others to look at/dem: Roksan Kandy, Creek Destiny, Leema Elements, Cyrus 8 (one of the newer models)....

The 700 series of speakers are fairly power hungry so you'll need a fairly ballsy amp.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You'll need slightly different advice depending on which model you have. As has been mentioned, the range was pretty power hungry, and some models were difficult to generate a good synergy with the amplifier. If I recall correctly, the 704s were even more demanding and harder get to sound good than the 703!

I think you'll be looking at the Rotel RA1570 minimum, maybe a Primare I22. The main advice I would give is don't buy blind - audition amplifiers with your speakers in order to make sure the two work together.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Not so bad then. I would still recommend the RA1570, and certainly to still try the Primare I22. I'd also throw in the Arcam A29 and Rega Elex-R too. You can probably get away with a Rotel RA12 for these, but like most speakers, feed them something better like the amps above and they'll give you more.

Hi David

Thanks for your reply.

The good old CDMNT Series. Nice
regular_smile.gif

You won't need to spend much for if you're happy to look at discontined amplification then Rotel RA-1062's is worth bearing in mind as the CDMNT range forms a great match with the RA-1062. The RA-1062 will also easily grip, drive and energise your CDM7NT's. Fwiw, the RA-1062 was partly designed with Nautilus 801's and will therfore take your CDM7NT's in it's stride.

You should find a good RA-1062 for a few hundred pounds.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi David.

Nice speakers.

What about NAD? The C356BEE is a powerfull amp, able to drive demanding speakers. You can build a RIAA-module in, it is separate.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The Rotel ra-1570 is a good call or the ra-1520. (newer version of the 1062)

The 1520 is only 60wpc on paper but it sounds powderful and it's clean sounding too. Good top end and midrange excellent 'edge' definition, good vocals. But the bass is not as tuneful or as textured as it could be.

Sounds excellent with uptempo music but may lack the 'umph' for more delicate, nuanced and ambient music.

The 1570 is 120wpc - I've never heard one though. But if it sounds like a bigger 1520 it just may be perfect for those speakers.

The smaller amp comes with tone controls though. And works well if biwired using both sets of speaker terminals.

Some will dismiss this feature but it's worth experimenting with.

Those speakers can be bass heavy - the ability to 'trim' the bass will come in handy.

I have a friend with a pair - nice speakers.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Here's a curve ball suggestion ... NuPrime IDA-8. This is a Class A / Class D hybrid (lke Devialet) for 1000 Euro ... about 800 GBP. The reviews are excellent.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts