Question Which amp and speakers to buy for around EUR 1500-2000?

Which amp should I get?

• Marantz PM6007

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Rega Brio

• Rega Elex-R

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dilluhn

Feb 6, 2021
Visit site
Hi all!
I've been reading your threads/comments for a while with a lot of interest, but now that I want to spend some money myself I could really use your advice.

I'm currently using a thrifted old amp with weak speakers that I desperately want to replace for something decent. My budget is around 1500-2000 euros. Besides the amp and speakers I'm trying to replace, my current setup is:
- Rega Planar 1
- Marantz CD6006
- Google Audiocast
* I live in a tiny apartment

Based on endless hours of browsing whathifi (and other websites), I am leaning towards buying Oberon 5 speakers (around EUR 800). From what I have been reading, for my budget, these just seem to be the way to go. However, please feel free to try and talk me out of it.

The question is however, what to pair it with? I was thinking of the following options:

- Marantz PM6007 (EUR 560)
- Rega Brio (EUR 800)
- Rega Elex-R (EUR 1300)

I was initially planning on buying the Marantz PM6007 given that it is listed as the best amp (https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/hi-fi/best-stereo-amplifiers), fits well in my budget, and matches well aesthetically with my cd player. However, when reading the Dali Oberon 5 review (https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/dali-oberon-5), I started to think I should invest a little bit more and get the Rega Elex-R. This is the quote from the review:

"As for partnering electronics, you’ll get out what you put in. The Oberons will sound perfectly acceptable with good budget electronics such as the Marantz PM6006UK amplifier and partnering CD player, but feed them with something more ambitious, such as the Rega Elex-R (£950) or even Moon’s 240i (£1990), and they shine accordingly."

While the PM6007 is probably better than the PM6006UK, I'm wondering if it is good enough or if I should invest a bit more and get the Rega Elex-R. I also read some comments suggesting the Rega Brio. However, in that case I'm simply leaning towards spending a bit more on the better Rega Elex-R.

One thing I was also wondering, is that the Regas only seem to have phono inputs. Does this mean that I wouldn't be able to use my Google Audiocast anymore?

Looking forward to your comments.

As a side note, given the current lockdown restrictions in the Netherlands, I cannot listen/test these HiFi-solutions in a store.

abacus

I know it’s difficult but unless you have replace your equipment right now, don’t, instead wait until you can get to a dealer (Vaccines are in full swing now so 2 months or so won’t hurt) as buying blind (No matter how good the review or recommendations) is a total recipe for disaster. (Always try before you buy)

If you must buy then make sure you can return the items if they don’t suit you.

Bill

Reactions: dilluhn

matthewpiano

I'd second the advice given by @abacus, to wait until you can visit a dealer and audition the options.

I've owned all 3 amplifiers you mention. All are very good, but I didn't find the Elex-R to be worth the extra money, and I'd choose the Marantz over the Brio every time - equally good sound with nicer build and better feature-set.

As well as the Marantz I own a NAD C368 and a Musical Fidelity M2si. Both are excellent amplifiers, but I couldn't say either is 'better' than the Marantz, just different.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts