WHF review - PMC Twenty5 23i

TotalVictim

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
The scandalous, absolutely DISHONEST relationship between hifi magazines, blogs and reviewers continues to run rampant. The true victims are the end-users, the customers who actually buy this rubbish. This should literally be ILLEGAL and be categorized as false and misleading advertising.

WHF only got ONE THING right with their review of the PMC 25.23i speaker: they are priced way beyond what their market value could ever be. As for the sound of the loudspeakers, I, as a consumer having demo'd and listened intently to these speakers both at a dealer AND AT HOME, I can emphatically CERTIFY that these speakers are nothing like what is described in the review. This is pure complacency at its best. This review is borderline propaganda and is highly misleading.

They are NO LONGER room friendly. The i series behaves like a poorly designed rear-ported bass reflex and cannot be ANYWHERE near the rear wall even in a very large room. The "re-design" of the crossover values have changed the speaker's bass response 180 degrees from the previous generation; now they are absolutely imbalanced with too little higher frequencies and too much lower registers AS COMPARED to the not so distant previous generation.

The result is that you cannot simply upgrade. You now have to start over from zero and reconsider your room acoustics, your sources, your cables and your amplification. All of it. The speakers are radically different in sound despite the similar look and feel.

The fact that WHF would blow this over as an "iteration" which is clearly too expensive is only half-true. Yes, they are ridiculously overpriced for their value proposition and they simply do not perform as this level of expenditure should allow for.

Lastly, if you examine the accepted and established theory for TL design speakers from the mid 1960s, notably from AR Bailey's work, you quickly realize that PMC are building AND SELLING inherently flawed speakers that are a travesty of TL design theory. TL-DR - their cabinet design for both standmounts and floorstanders do not have the required calculated linear chamber distance and do not incorporate internal taper as required. The so-called "F1 Laminair" technology is pure science fiction, an absolute joke with no audible effect. This is another useless marketing gimmick from PMC for the gullible customer.

WHF validating this foolishness is beyond any reasonable justification. Buyer beware.

Surly Sid

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
The Totem Tribe Towers at a similar price are much better than these PMCs; but What HIFI only gave the Totems 4 stars, as well as these PMCs. Seems like the Totems should be 5 stars, or the PMCs 3 stars.

The scandalous, absolutely DISHONEST relationship between hifi magazines, blogs and reviewers continues to run rampant. The true victims are the end-users, the customers who actually buy this rubbish. This should literally be ILLEGAL and be categorized as false and misleading advertising.

WHF only got ONE THING right with their review of the PMC 25.23i speaker: they are priced way beyond what their market value could ever be. As for the sound of the loudspeakers, I, as a consumer having demo'd and listened intently to these speakers both at a dealer AND AT HOME, I can emphatically CERTIFY that these speakers are nothing like what is described in the review. This is pure complacency at its best. This review is borderline propaganda and is highly misleading.

They are NO LONGER room friendly. The i series behaves like a poorly designed rear-ported bass reflex and cannot be ANYWHERE near the rear wall even in a very large room. The "re-design" of the crossover values have changed the speaker's bass response 180 degrees from the previous generation; now they are absolutely imbalanced with too little higher frequencies and too much lower registers AS COMPARED to the not so distant previous generation.

The result is that you cannot simply upgrade. You now have to start over from zero and reconsider your room acoustics, your sources, your cables and your amplification. All of it. The speakers are radically different in sound despite the similar look and feel.

The fact that WHF would blow this over as an "iteration" which is clearly too expensive is only half-true. Yes, they are ridiculously overpriced for their value proposition and they simply do not perform as this level of expenditure should allow for.

Lastly, if you examine the accepted and established theory for TL design speakers from the mid 1960s, notably from AR Bailey's work, you quickly realize that PMC are building AND SELLING inherently flawed speakers that are a travesty of TL design theory. TL-DR - their cabinet design for both standmounts and floorstanders do not have the required calculated linear chamber distance and do not incorporate internal taper as required. The so-called "F1 Laminair" technology is pure science fiction, an absolute joke with no audible effect. This is another useless marketing gimmick from PMC for the gullible customer.

WHF validating this foolishness is beyond any reasonable justification. Buyer beware.
Too many capitals.
Are you by any chance an ex-employee?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts