WHF bdp reviews

daveperry3018

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi I've bought many products over the last few years based on reviews from WHF so this isn't supposed to be a dig maybe just enlightenment if I am missing something but why if a bdp player transfers information as it was recorded if the player is set to 1080p24 and really then it's just down to how your tv displays this, why do we forever see reviews on the performance of up and coming players in regard to picture quality, colour and motion. I know that this can effect the reproduction of dvd but when they say testing using x blu ray disc this makes no sense right? Or am I completely wrong?

daveperry3018

May 7, 2015
Visit site
I know! you are right but with such little mention of audio and the majority of the performance part of the review siding with picture performance the reviews can still be a little misleading imo

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
The SQ excuse is a red herring. If both players are capable f DTS for example, could somebody explain a technical reason why one might be significantly or even marginally better than the other.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
simonlewis said:
When the testers are testing with a certain disc they are testing the audio as well.
But how are they testing the audio? If they're testing via HDMI, then surely the player can have little effect with what is, after all, a digital signal?

Given that few players now have multichannel analogue outputs, are they then testing based on a stereo analogue output, which is all most machines now provide?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
simonlewis said:
What i meant was they are testing the sound quality, Dolby True HD for example or just a standard 5.1.

But again, if they're testing the output via HDMI (which in most modern players is the only way to get the HD soundtrack out), then the player can't make any difference at all.

Only if the player is decoding the audio and outputting it via multichannel analogue (which is a facility available on vanishingly few players these days) can the player have any influence of the quality of the audio. Otherwise all it's doing is passing a digital bitstream over to the decoding and DACs in the receiver/processor to which it's connected.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
This is a very contentious subject. I don't know what WHF test with but you will see a difference in pic qaulity playing standard DVD between different players. This is because of the upscaling capabilities and different settings. For bluray, there are no differences if the picture tweaking is switched off. However, that said, it is advisable to have your TV professionally calibrated because it should be your TV doing all the work for picture. This will also be down to the qaulity of your TV for picture qaulity..

for sound, if sent bitstream over Hdmi then again sound should be the same but this is down to the capabilities of your av reciever...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As far as picture is concerned, there can be differences in picture quality between Bluray players. Some handle motion better, some produce more noise, some have issues, some don't. Although some of these differences won't necessarily show up on an average size TV.

Saying there can't be any difference between the picture quality of Bluray players isn't too dissimilar to saying there was never any differences between DVD players. There certainly was. There's just less compression on Bluray discs, minimising the possibility of large differences.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
simonlewis said:
I was replying to the op's last sentence about a blu-ray disc and not about the player

Yes, I read the original post, and there's no suggestion he or she is talking about testing discs, but rather is talking about player reviews. So I still really don't understand the point you're trying to make.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Some handle motion better

But they're not handling motion: they're taking data off a disc and feeding it through to a TV, which is where the picture processing takes place. Unless, as a previous poster has mentioned, the player is in some way altering the digital data it's taking from the disc before passing it over to the TV.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts