Question Where to find true equipment specifications?

Sep 21, 2022
Visit site
Hello all,

I recently started seriously listening to classical music again after a long, long hiatus. My primary hobby is photography, (I own 9 cameras.) But I recently sold two cameras to finance my new music hobby. I am retired on a fixed income.

My listening position is in a comfortable office chair 3 to 4 feet away from the back of my computer desk. That is where my speakers are placed. Currently I have a pair of Polk Audio XT15 speakers attached to a MSML AD18 amp. The source is either the ASUS sound card via optical cable out in the Linux PC I built, or Bluetooth from my iPhone 11.

The Polk XT15 speakers are surprisingly good for $200 a pair speakers. I recently tried adding the Polk Audio PSW10 sub-woofer and was very disappointed with the results.
Only after I bought the PSW10 did I learn that I had made a mistake. Which brings me to the subject of this thread. Even going to manufacturer's Web sites and downloading the specifications of a particular piece of equipment, does not yield TRUE specs. What one gets is "marketing" specs.

Where can I find the true specifications? Also technical information, like a circuit diagram of the MSML AD18 amplifier. It has optical out to a sub-woofer, but is that a Pre amp output?
Which brings up a another question. Where can I find a tutorial on digital audio? Not basic stuff, I have a Mensa level IQ.

Sorry if this post is too long. I will do better next time. And much thanks in advance to those who choose to answer this TLDR post.

Mark

Hi Mark

Welcome! I won’t try to cover everything, as I’m not sure I can.

Specs:- many manufacturers do offer manuals online, and journals like British magazine Hifi News and US Stereophile publish independent technical reviews.

Hifiengine.com has downloadable manuals, but you need to register. It’s free.

Are you after digital theory on stuff like oversampling or quantization, or specifically about choosing audio equipment? Tbh, you could do worse than Wikipedia and follow up on each topic that catches your interest. Otherwise, the journals I mentioned above have pretty detailed info from time to time.

Hope that helps a bit.

Reactions: shadders
Take magazine specs with a pinch of salt. As mentioned above, online manuals are available that comes from the horses mouth (so to speak).

That said, call me Mr. Boring, not sure why the OP needs this stuff? I would just listen to whatever source and amp and speakers and...

Enjoy.

Sep 21, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I have downloaded manuals online, but they have not been that helpful.
I was not aware of the two magazines you list. Will check them out.
As for Wikipedia, I do use it. In fact I give money to support them.
What I was looking for was more of a tutorial on digital theory.
I did find one good YouTube source,PS Audio.
Thanks again.

shadders

Hi,
As per others, ASR has reviewed the SMSL AD18 amplifier. Seems to be a class D, but i only read the first page and could not see the chipset used.

For circuit diagrams, if available, then google or DIYAUDIO.com may be able to help.

Regards,
Shadders.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts