Where should the volume be set when setting speaker levels?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello all,

Just after some clarification regarding where the volume should be set when setting the channel levels with an SPL meter and test tone from the amp. I've done a search for the relevant advice but got conflicting views so i'm hoping you good people can point me in the right direction yet again.

When using the test tone on the amp should the volume be set at a particular level ie 0db or does the volume level have no bearing over test tone outcome? I've noticed that when turning up the volume during the test tone obviously effects the db reading level from the meter so i'm wondering just where it should be set before i start, if indeed it matters atall? I know i should be looking for 75db as the level for all the speakers and that after calibration 0db on the amp should equate to 75db but what effect the volume has i'm not sure... :?

Is it just a case of the volume just affecting the results from the SPL meter and that when calibrating is complete 0db on the amp will equate to 75db regardless of what volume the test tone is at? I'm confused after reading so many articles on the net with some saying set the volume to 0db before you start and others saying it has no bearing atall so what's the truth here....help!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If you're setting manually using an SPL meter, then I'd set the main volume level so one channel – the left front, perhaps for the sake of convenience – gives a 75dB reading at its 0dB adjustment on the level setting screen, then adjust the other channels relative to this.

But don't be too slavish with setting 75dB on all channels: you may find this gives too high a level on the surround channels, for example.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Agree with Andrew

Importantly is the reference volume recorded at the SPL meter (75dB) and not necessarliy having the volume at the amp at 0dB

Clearly all speakers are different in terms of efficiency therefore what may be 0dB on the amp for 75dB reference could well be lower or higher for different speakers.

So don't get hung up on details from the amp, balnce your speakers at 75dB and then trim to what you like, for instance you may fine the Centre speaker needs to be a touch louder, or the rears a touch lower. Just leave your L&R speakers as is once set up.

You and your ears are king for the final set up.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Very many thanks Andrew, as ever, the voice of reason.

It sounded logical to me that you should start at 0db as a volume level to start the test tone, otherwise 0db on the amp would not equate to 75db after calibration but you can never be sure when it comes to home cinema set up and i'm no expert unlike your good selves.

So it is wise then to adjust some of the levels after calibration to taste because after my initial calibration of all but the front speakers due to an issue with levels i found the centre speaker was a little weak and really affected the dialogue when watching Goodfellas on bluray last night but the surround effect was noticeably better than before calibration.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
fayeanddavid said:
Agree with Andrew

Importantly is the reference volume recorded at the SPL meter (75dB) and not necessarliy having the volume at the amp at 0dB

Clearly all speakers are different in terms of efficiency therefore what may be 0dB on the amp for 75dB reference could well be lower or higher for different speakers.

So don't get hung up on details from the amp, balnce your speakers at 75dB and then trim to what you like, for instance you may fine the Centre speaker needs to be a touch louder, or the rears a touch lower. Just leave your L&R speakers as is once set up.

You and your ears are king for the final set up.

Thank you very much for your advice.

As i said in my reply to Andrew after my initial set up with the meter last night the centre channel was weak so i will calibrate with the meter properly this evening and then adjust as i think is necessary, probably the centre channel only if last night was anything to by as it just got drowned out by the fronts to the point where dialogue was almost inaudible at times.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Of course, if you have a THX certified receiver,'0' should equate to 85dB in-room, which is the THX reference level. But as even THX acknowledges, this may not always be desirable, not least because it'll annoy the neighbours...

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Unfortunately i don't have a THX certified receiver which is why i feel it's necessary to set the levels correctly via a digital SPL meter but 85db at '0' does seem excessive to me in a home enviroment and my neighbours and i would soon have a falling out if my receiver was set at that level i'm sure....so perhaps it's not such a bad idea as a revenge setting lol.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Once you've calibrated you will have an on screen value for each speaker (I think) such as +4.5dB or something like that.

You wont need to do another SPL sweep, rather just adjust the on screen value upward (or downward) according to your requirement.

For instance I have increased my Centre speaker by 1.0dB and reduced both of my surrounds by 1.5dB and it sounds perfect to my ears, just leave fron L&R alone as your reference point

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Thanks again for the info as it all seems alot simpler now.

Didn't get the chance to calibrate last night but got the day at home today so i'm making it a priority for today to get it sounding nice and will post the results after calibration.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Thought i would post the outcome from the meter set up. After setting the speakers to 75db with my digital SPL meter by starting with the front two and using them as a reference i found that the centre channel needed a significant boost and needed to be adjusted up by 5db which seemed a bit extreme when listening to the test tone again once it had been set as it seemed way too loud but dialogue from any source did seem spot on and not drowned out by the fronts. Just surprised it needed to be boosted so much.

The rear surrounds were also a touch overblown and in your face so i have toned them down by 1db each and it sounds more natural but i'm still not sure if i will tame them back a little further so perhaps a few more movies are in order to see if they need trimming back a little more. Must admit i'm very happy with the results though as the surround effect is much better after proper calibration and i've managed to get the bass sounding much fuller and involving aswell so all in all i would definately recommend calibrating your levels with an SPL meter as it made a real difference for my system :)

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Oldboy

Good stuff, no need to get hung up about how much you had to invrease/decrease as, as you have noticed, in the end it does give the desired result.

You'll find that your surrounds will be the ones you'll do the most tweaking with (certainly so in my case) and 0.5dB adjustment can make a huge difference.

Don't rush, adjust over a few listenings of movies, and revisit occassionally to confirm all is well, only takes a few minutes as well.

Be sure not overcook your sub set up as well, I run mine a couple dB below the reference value of the speakers as I find the bass to "in your face" otherwise

Enjoy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts