Where has my lovely sound gone???

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Since getting new thick carpets and having loads of problem trying to spike the speakers onto the concrete floor-which I have not been able to, I am using granite under my speakers. I'm really disappointed with the overall sound, the bass is not tight as before, it's lost some attack and verve??? Music just seems muddled? Why is this? Is it because the neats have a downward firing port? I'm seriously thinking of selling my neats and buying some closed design like the atc scm11. Please help as I don't know what to do to get my sound that I enjoyed back?? :-(

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
perhaops its not the bass and maybe the treble that is a bit more constrained and so it sounds less lively and more bassy?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
If that is the case, I don't think the SCM11's will help....

Any suggestions please? the treble is definitely more lively but this was always a characteristic of the neat to a point, but the bass just sounds 'wrong' which confuses the sound overall! when you mentioned the SCM11's...were you referring to the previous post or my initial posting?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
The previous post.

I can't understand why it's changed so much seeing as you have granite under the speakers - I would've thought the carpet would've tightened up the bass!

is the granite not the issue? as I can't place the speakers on the concrete floor like I had before due to the thickness...maybe that has changed the sound? I also thought that the carpet would have tighten the bass too- but it hasn't. I have two tesco granite chopping boards under each speaker- do you think I need a solid piece of granite instead?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Ear - you have to use the spikes on the Neats to give enough clearance for the downward firing port to work properly.

Is it possible for you to adjust the height using the spikes? Maybe this will help?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
You can try them without the granite.....

Having two might be affecting things if they're not solid - any slight movement could be muddying the bass. Have you tried just one?

The carpet is **** pile- so without the granite the speaker is no stable at all- too much rocking. so I have tried that. I have used only one as well, but no- does not improve it or make much difference. It's a lost cause perhaps?

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:

Ear - you have to use the spikes on the Neats to give enough clearance for the downward firing port to work properly.

Is it possible for you to adjust the height using the spikes? Maybe this will help?

didnt know that.

perhaps blu tack between both slabs??

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:

Yes, I have- still can't get it to be stable. Are there longer spikes I can buy that will fit the neats?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
If it's a standard size maybe - but maybe you could do with shorter ones.....

shorter ones? sorry, you have lost me now :) do you mean shorter ones so that it is closer to the granite? as shorter ones when trying to place it on the carpet would not work...am I being a bit thick here..?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It's easy to misunderstand text
emotion-1.gif

I meant shorter ones to bring them closer to the granite.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
It's easy to misunderstand text
emotion-1.gif

I meant shorter ones to bring them closer to the granite.

ah ha- never thought about that- I will give that a go. Thanks Frank?- not sure if you are called Frank, but there you go :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:Nope, I'm David - do you think the owner of a company would spend so much time on here when he can pay others to do so?

You are paid to be here? Is it an hourly rate or per word?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
Nope, I'm David - do you think the owner of a company would spend so much time on here when he can pay others to do so?!
emotion-2.gif

That's a good point- but he would save a bundle if he did it himself!! ha ha. Thanks David

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Frank, why not just simply cut a slit in the carpet for each of the speakers so that your spikes once again connect with the origional flooring which as you say you were happy with ?

Glad to be of help man :)

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Alantiggger:

Frank, why not just simply cut a slit in the carpet for each of the speakers so that your spikes once again connect with the origional flooring which as you say you were happy with ?

also thought the same before.

A

Anonymous

ear:Alantiggger:

also thought the same before.

I would not do that because it is not sure if this would really solve the problem. Maybe the thick new carpet changed the whole acoustic of the room.
emotion-42.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts