where do i start from upgrades? need ur help please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi all i brought my kit from richer sounds 3-4 yrs ago and it sounds rubbish but till now never had time or know how too get it sorted. my kit is

cambrige audio amp 640 built in phono stage (have too turn it right up too hear it

cambrige audio cd player 640

sony minidisc player (only too record on for the van save cds getting wrecked)

project 4 turntable .hifi stand was from mfi only 3 shelfs so got other kit on top.

cambridge audio leads @ richersounds speaker wire gale i think?

russ andrews power kord on my amp

speakers mordant short 904 floor standers ,so where do i go from here ?if i start replacing things (speaker cables )would like too make sure there good for when i get new kit and dont want too take carpet up again ,again. would like cyrus naim set up next perhaps if i can get some cash together nx year , but for now wheres best too start? all your help and advice is really appreciated as allways regards pete
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi Pete I would recommend you wait until the experts pour in on this matter but word of warning about richer sounds in future, they really push CA products. I remember 5 years ago they pushed this D500 cd player of theirs onto me when i made it clear what i was looking for, not recommended i know but i took the recommendation without hearing it first via their mail order and god it was rubbish.

Anyways I am not impressed by cambridge audio products particularly the amps and would recommend NAD components as your setup particularly as i would think you don't want to be spending thousands once again. However what is your budget?

A

Anonymous

I believe you should always start an upgrade with the speakers. Then, and only then, can you truly upgrade the rest of the system to accuratly match the sonic signature of the speakers. Your current amplifier is perfectly capable of powering some much better speakers.

Please do your best to investigate, and hopefully listen to these: http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/4130

A

Anonymous

thanks hughes i have a look ,didnt really want too spend on speakers yet as i thought my cables would be the first too go?? but what do i know ,thanks for your advice mate
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Is it possible the floor standers are just too big for your room also?

A

Anonymous

I am going to open up a can of worms saying this but changing cables will not have a profound effect on your system, whereas changing the amp and or the speakers will. I really can not comment on the speakers though because i have not heard them before.

A

Anonymous

Hi, I would start by cleaning up the mains supply a little more.

Perhaps a Tacima block, and a BT mains conditioning unit (EBay) but you will have to keep looking as they are hard to find.

Then perhaps a Cyrus 2 / PSX, find a well looked after 2nd hand one.
Still an excellent buy. Really good build quality.

A

Anonymous

Changing speaker cable will make a difference, however I feel that your system won't show its benefits that much. I agree with cleaning up the mains: You already have a good lead on your amplifier (thus I believe you are a believer!), so a nice mains cleaner such as the Tacima CS929 and then add a better mains cable to your CD player (such as the Clearer Audio Copper-Line Alpha) will improve the soundstage and reduce potential distortion, but it will also give you a better piece of mind that your system is better (ah, the joys of psychoaccoustics)!

A

Anonymous

hi i know what ur saying but the speaker cables that run under my floor are rubbish ( gale) richer sounds ,as i,m having a move round i may as well have the carpet up. or leave it and get new speakers and amp too find that the cables under the floor still need replacing ie carpet up again , i dont think my speakers are too clever neither!! ta pete

A

Anonymous

hi trevor not heard of these before Tacima block, and a BT mains conditioning unit.off ebay you say , i take the shops (superfi) sells them ,cheers pete

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i used to have a c.a. 640 cdp and amp with wharfedale diamond 9.1's. if you're planning on upgrading your components, and you're convinced your speaker cable is no good, then yes, change it now. i would use copper rather then silver bearing in mind your present system. changing the cables and cleaning up the mains will all make a bit of a difference, but, imo, nothing like the improvement you will get from upgrading your amp and speakers.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
pete speed:hi i know what ur saying but the speaker cables that run under my floor are rubbish ( gale) richer sounds ,as i,m having a move round i may as well have the carpet up. or leave it and get new speakers and amp too find that the cables under the floor still need replacing ie carpet up again , i dont think my speakers are too clever neither!! ta pete

Ok pete,before you start spending bigger bucks on speakers etc why not (just to prove/disprove your cable theory) spend a few quid on a few metres of ,lets say,qed silver anniversary xt. Its only around a fiver per metre and has very good reviews going for it. A couple of 2 or 3 metre lengths will do,shift your speakers and have a listen. If you dont like what you hear you can always sell them on.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Craig M.:i used to have a c.a. 640 cdp and amp with wharfedale diamond 9.1's. if you're planning on upgrading your components, and you're convinced your speaker cable is no good, then yes, change it now. i would use copper rather then silver bearing in mind your present system. changing the cables and cleaning up the mains will all make a bit of a difference, but, imo, nothing like the improvement you will get from upgrading your amp and speakers.

Didnt like to head pete off in the twenty quid a metre territory craig.

A

Anonymous

thats what i,m on tomorrow mate i know that the cd player and amp are budget but untill i got abit more cash they will have too do .

A

Anonymous

hi trevor not got a clue what BT mains conditioning unit is mate looked on ebay no luck ,got a link to it ,ta pete

A

Anonymous

Hi Pete, unfortunately there is none about this week, but look here to find out about them.....

http://www.hi-fi-insight.com/bt-mains-conditioning-filters.html

Was shocked by the improvement it made to my system, and posted on here about it!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid:
Craig M.:i used to have a c.a. 640 cdp and amp with wharfedale diamond 9.1's. if you're planning on upgrading your components, and you're convinced your speaker cable is no good, then yes, change it now. i would use copper rather then silver bearing in mind your present system. changing the cables and cleaning up the mains will all make a bit of a difference, but, imo, nothing like the improvement you will get from upgrading your amp and speakers.

i'm not suggesting he spend £20 m, just that i thought the c.a. pairing sounded bright, and i've read that copper sounds warmer.

i don't think a speaker cable change is going to make much of a difference, unless the gale stuff the op has is like the wire on my doorbell.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Craig M.:floyd droid:

i'm not suggesting he spend £20 m, just that i thought the c.a. pairing sounded bright, and i've read that copper sounds warmer.

i don't think a speaker cable change is going to make much of a difference, unless the gale stuff the op has is like the wire on my doorbell.

I didnt think for a minute that you were craig. I forgot to edit my post to,' I didnt like to.'...... sorry for any misunderstanding mate.

A

Anonymous

What's your budget mate? I would go for a decent stand and cabling and save for some decent kit. ÿIf you have enough cash, then a £400 cd player is the place to start and build from there.

A

Anonymous

Start with a decent rack and cables whilst you save. If you budget allows start with the CD (£400+) and build from there. What's your budget?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts