When something sounds far more expensive than it is ...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I'm about to change my system but thought it is worth to mention Mordaunt Shorts MS20i Pearls I currently use. Engineering content and sound quality are outstanding. I've used these with multiple systems, of which a mid range Naim system proved perfect synergy. I got these new/boxed a year or so ago after getting rid of my then system. 25 quid and smile every time I think about that or listen to them. In essence an Epos speaker it imo surpasses any of MS's later budget efforts, including the Mezzo 2's. Just a capacitor as xover, the drivers where engineered carefully for smooth handover. High power handling too (150W) without any distortion to high levels (though I don't think I've ever put the max/Wrating through them) and almost no bass doubling. Clear and open with superb accuracy to voices with no cuppiness whatsoever. Just as an example, play them next to some RS6/8's, as I/we did with different systems and these sound shut in, splashy and unfocused. Limited bass but thats hardly a surprise considering the size. I use a sub to help out.

Anyone wanting a neutral sounding speaker would be well advised to source a pair in good condition, the same goes for the smaller 10i's, which, perversely, seem to have more bass. They don't, it's a slight upper bass excess and they sound a fraction less open, more mid-forward. Nevertheless, very good speakers and rythmically slightly better, due probably because of the smaller cone though the 20's are not slow. Neither are boom'n tizz speakers in the manner of lower level B&W's/MA so may not impress immediately. Persevere though and they reward with musical insight. Match with a punchy, powerful amplifier. They project not to forward but in between and behind the speaker plane so are relaxing to listen to.

Whatever I get, the Naim system which is/has been my favorite for some time or one of another couple of products I plan to audition, they'll stay, even if it's in their box. If I end up with the former, they'll probably be used in that system. I never had that sentiment with my previous ProAcs.

So, anyone in need of some good speakers for a reasonable system, MS10/20i's (Pearls) should be a fine choice. The better the system, the better they sound. I somewhat think the biggest problem they had was that because of their low price people used them with budget/entry products which is, in this case at least, probably not the best idea.

My little praise for one of those products which should never have been as cheap as they where. Hope this helps.

http://www.gramophone.net/Issue/Page/August%201997/101/744794/MordauntShort+Pearl

A

Anonymous

drummerman:
In essence an Epos speaker

Ummm, not quite true but, they and their little brothers are still very good speakers, as are the MS10is, a pair of which I still have.

That's what hi-fi is ALL about. If you have a component, regardless of age, reputation and so on and so forth, and you love it then it's job done. Can't ask for any more than that, DM......
emotion-21.gif

I'm not a keen fan of MS - heard the 902s and 914s and they sounded average at best.

matthewpiano

Drummerman isn't talking about the Avant series though, he is talking about the time before MS were owned by the Audio Partnership. The MS10i and MS20i Pearl were the culmination of a line of superb small speakers and bear no relation to more recent MS designs.

A

Anonymous

I used to own a pair of these speakers, powered by a Harmon Kardon HK620 and some technics 1210's. Sounded pretty good to me! Then I got my celestion 551's. Yummy!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts