When is old too old ?

AndyBrad

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I have a hifi/AV system, the core of which is around 10 yrs old now (Arcam Alpha 6 CD, Audiolab 8000A, Castle Severn II). I was very happy with it when I bought it, and it still sounds good today.

However, I was wondering how my system would compare to a similarly priced new system today. I recall the price of the CD player/amp/speakers was around £1600-£1700 back in c.1997. If I spent the same today, would I hear a significant improvement ? If not, how much would I have to spend ?

I would be grateful for any views.

Andy

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I reckon you'd be hard pushed to get a better system for that kind of money today, even if you were starting from scratch.

The only major improvement I'd be looking at is a newer CD player, but it's worth taking your Alpha 6 along to a dealer - it's hardly heavy, if i recall - and comparing it with some newer rivals, just to see whether they offer any great improvements.

If they don't, then I'd probably leave well alone.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
The answer never! I know people who swear by the Quad II valve amps designed in 1953. One of my friends has a Williamson amp he bought and repaired. A design first published in the spring off 1947 in "Wireless World". One of my personal favourite speakers: the KEF 104AB from late 1970s. How about the Garard 401 from 1964. A friend played Santana on one of these turntables- awesome. Finally the great LS3/5A from the early seventies. I am sure someone could put together a system with this and other classics that would match/beat all but the very best modern systems.

A

Anonymous

I also have to concur with Andrew on this one, I too still have my 8000A, still a classic, i also used to own a pair of Castle Conway II speakers, so as Andrew rightly says it may be the CD could be bettered, just try before you buy when matching a cd to your 8000A, I bought the Arcam CD 73 in Feb this year and whilst it isn't bad with a decent interconnect, its not as punchy as I would like, so that's the word over caution over :), good luck in your quest.

A

Anonymous

Yeah maybe look at a Cambridge Audio or Exposure CD player.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts