What's Your Views On Upsampling

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
Morning, I've been playing around with upsampling for a while now and I'm still not convinced of the sonic benefits. I've been using the CXNv2 with analogue outs where everything is upsampled throught the dual wolfson WM8740 dacs to 24/384. I've also been using Roon to upsample straight to my amp at DSD256 through the ESS9016K2M. After many listening sessions I perceive upsampling to overly smooth out the sound and make everything sound mid oriented with no attack at the top end and a loss of control over the bass. Playing Redbook straight through the CXA81 gives me a more correct and exciting presentation. A few questions:

1-Is upsampling better done through software to allow the pc to do the heavy lifting. Or internally through the dac.

2-Are the filters that are being used processing the audio too far away from the intent of the original mastering.

I'd love to hear your opinions on upsampling.

Many Thanks & Best Regards

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
I've found personally it depends on the software, hardware, etc. Sometimes the headphones can also play a part.

The upsampling on Creative's EAX soundcards for example is irritating and better left off. Many standard music players such as Itunes do not do it well either.

On the other hand JRiver's Media Centre does do it reallly well using ASIO when going through my Topping AMP and DAC. However their is a limit. Anything less than CD Quality rips is a no no. The higher quality the file, the better it sounds.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts