Question What's your next HiFi purchase?

Page 31 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jasonovich

I bet the Element X2 streamer with a pair of the P2 power amps in mono would be an incredible setup. This setup is nearly £7700 plus speakers so it would be out of most people's budget.

This flagship model looks amazing, but again the site is confusing and seems to imply there is a MS-1 and an MS-1 pre. They need to tidy up the specs and the feature sets, because it's very confusing.

It looks like this MS-1 needs the MP-1 preamp and MA-1 power amp to complete a system and it looks very pricey.

One thing that does concern me is the easy to catch mono/stereo/bridged switches on the high end models. If you move one of these by mistake, there is a real chance of destroying something.

I really like this brand and the plain and minimalist design really does appeal to me, but I still think there are too many products and model ranges to choose from.

I must admit the information on Matrix website isn't really clear. Hopefully someone will provide some clarity.

I like what Matrix, Eversolo and Rose are doing.
NAD is also doing some innovative stuff, particularly their all in one solutions.

The M33 is a streamer DAC amplifier and priced at £3999. Great if you're looking for small foot print, just wired them up to speakers and you're done.

View: https://youtu.be/J5LFXfNEPj0?si=EQlnatyvea4GdKBD

nadelectronics.com/product/m33-bluos-streaming-dac-amplifier/

Last edited:

podknocker

I must admit the information on Matrix website isn't really clear. Hopefully someone will provide some clarity.

I like what Matrix, Eversolo and Rose are doing.
NAD is also doing some innovative stuff, particularly their all in one solutions.

The M33 is a streamer DAC amplifier and priced at £3999. Great if you're looking for small foot print, just wired them up to speakers and you're done.

View: https://youtu.be/J5LFXfNEPj0?si=EQlnatyvea4GdKBD

nadelectronics.com/product/m33-bluos-streaming-dac-amplifier/
John Darko loves the M33 with the M23 amp. I can't afford this combo.

podknocker

I'm now considering the Element X2 streamer with a pair of the P2 power amps in mono, but does anyone know how the amp knows it's being used in mono, without a switch to select output mode? There is a manual and it does warn users to make sure the speakers are connected correctly, but there's nothing in there to explain how this works and doesn't blow your speakers to bits. Also, does anyone know the difference between the Element X2 streamer and the Element X2 PURE streamer? So many model ranges and products within model ranges, but very little chance of comparing stuff on the MA website. This one's for Jason really, because of his expereience with this brand.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

I'm now considering the Element X2 streamer with a pair of the P2 power amps in mono, but does anyone know how the amp knows it's being used in mono, without a switch to select output mode? There is a manual and it does warn users to make sure the speakers are connected correctly, but there's nothing in there to explain how this works and doesn't blow your speakers to bits. Also, does anyone know the difference between the Element X2 streamer and the Element X2 PURE streamer? So many model ranges and products within model ranges, but very little chance of comparing stuff on the MA website. This one's for Jason really, because of his expereience with this brand.
Pod I wasn't expecting you to throw back the questions at me! Ha ha ha :ROFLMAO:

I think I've wrapped my head around it, looking at the manual (also sent you a link). If you're using it in mono configuration the two red binding posts become left and right, one for each amp and speaker. There's also a mono interconnect switch for input. So the XLR input is either your left or right input.

Didn't realise the element P2 was a class D amp, nice, explains all that power.

If in doubt Pod, give one of the dealerships a ring :)

1729438400781.png
1729438336126.png
1729438635902.png

Manual

Dealership

UK based

01892 532 995

Sales Landline
0121 224 7300
0121 224 7401

UK Number
0844 504 0350*

Sales WhatsApp/iMessage
07706 203859 (opening hours only)

Customer Services Landline
0121 224 7350/7351

0800 772 3688/0208 905 1555

Europe based
Netherlands

Attachments

• 1729436346084.png
    1729436346084.png
    180.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 1729438275982.png
    1729438275982.png
    193.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: podknocker

podknocker

I think the switch allows RCA or XLR input, but doesn't tell the amp if it's in stereo or mono mode. I'm assuming, but not sure that the use of the mono XLR input for each power amp tells the amp it's going to receive one channel only and the internals then operate in mono mode. I think this is the case. I do appreciate the response Jason, but I will be checking with the vendor/company if I do buy this setup. I'm really unable to buy the X2 and a pair of P2 amps at the moment, but this is the stuff I'm saving for now. No CD player, no phono inputs and no fiddly setup. I hadn't heard of this company until you posted info about your MA product. They are well made, have a full feature set with a minimalist design and the power available should be more than enough. I know I'd need to be careful with the volume level with potentially 850W of class D heading towards each speaker. My QA3030i need up to 75W each, so gently does it. I finally realised how the X2 and X2 pure differ and the pure doesn't have a headphone option.

Jasonovich

Oh Mama......here's a teaser.
View: https://youtu.be/ji3Uzz_WY4k?si=XW93kX5j85eU217Y

1729439482125.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Revolutions

podknocker

MA look superb Jason. You've got me obsessed with this brand now. It's just the stuff I'm after. I do think with class D, the market will move towards a streaming DAC unit with pre amp built in, then the option of 1 or 2 power amps etc. I think Eversolo does this and it seems a sensiible path. Huge amounts of class D on tap with a very small footprint, carbon and physical. I'm unsure how the trigger out works when you have 2 P2 amps to activate. I wonder if the streamer triggers one of the amps and then the trigger output from this one then triggers the input of the other. I've been into HIFI for decades, but never had anything but an integrated amp and a pair of speakers. Still learning after all these years!

Last edited:

Jasonovich

I think the switch allows RCA or XLR input, but doesn't tell the amp if it's in stereo or mono mode. I'm assuming, but not sure that the use of the mono XLR input for each power amp tells the amp it's going to receive one channel only and the internals then operate in mono mode. I think this is the case. I do appreciate the response Jason, but I will be checking with the vendor/company if I do buy this setup. I'm really unable to buy the X2 and a pair of P2 amps at the moment, but this is the stuff I'm saving for now. No CD player, no phono inputs and no fiddly setup. I hadn't heard of this company until you posted info about your MA product. They are well made, have a full feature set with a minimalist design and the power available should be more than enough. I know I'd need to be careful with the volume level with potentially 850W of class D heading towards each speaker. My QA3030i need up to 75W each, so gently does it. I finally realised how the X2 and X2 pure differ and the pure doesn't have a headphone option.
No rush Pod :)
I was going to buy the Pro version of the Mini i-4 which has headphone socket but I knew I was going to purchase a separate headphone amp, so it was better for me to save the cash and opt for the standard Matrix Mini i-4.

1729439956608.png

Last edited:

Revolutions

Wow, these all look awesome. But I’m surprised at the cost: this stuff isn’t cheap.

It makes me feel a bit less concerned that I overpaid with my choice of pre/streamer. Not that I’ll lose sleep, it’s more the stigma attached to the brand that plays with my ego. Sounds amazing, does exactly what I need & I had the savings to pay for it. Don’t suppose much else really matters.

podknocker

You might prefer the M rather than the X Element Streamer. It has headphone jack and I believe cheaper?
View: https://youtu.be/52yxdXCikf0?si=QHJ2TiIdqZb7ROcc
As I mentioned earlier, so many models to choose from and I think that can be a negative sometimes. MA need the aspirational M series and then perhaps just 1 more modular range, covering all bases. There are some very interesting devices on their site, but many have very similar specs and functions. I have the X2 streamer with 2 P2 power amps on my wish list now and I'm hoping they still make these when I can afford them, or even bring the current models down in price. They are quite expensive, but if the build and sound are top drawer, then they could be good value and a long term investment. I doubt I would need anything more powerful and the 850W per channel should kick any speaker up the backside!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts