Whats the problem with my Ela speakers/ rooms acoustics?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've just purchased a new Rega P7 TT to complete my set up of Rega Mira amp and Rega ela speakers.

Its all set up in a new extension we' ve had built. Its a large room aprox 9m long x 3.7m wide with a very high ceiling (4.5m at its maximum) The speakers are sat on the short wall aprox 2m apart. It's not an option to position them on the longer wall, although i set them up temporary and the sound was greatly improved.

The problem is the Ela speakers don't project, the sound seems 'stuck' at one end of the room. The only reasonable listening experience is to sit aprox 2m from the speakers, any further away and the detail and drama form the music just disapears.

This is particulaly disapointing with rock music with little or no punch!

Rebuilding the extension is not an option so any thoughts on what might be wrong or suggestions for speakers appreciated

A

Anonymous

my calculations have always worked for me ....

according to the 3,7m wall length, you should place the speakers 1,66 meters apart (centre of the cabinets and in the centre of the room) .... and they should be placed 1,65m away from the back wall (back wall to the front of the cabinets)

place your listening chair in line with the centre of the 2 speakers (in line with the centre of the 3,7m wall and as far back as you wish)....

point the speakers straight ahead and get someone to slowly toe them in or out while music is being played, until you hit the 'sweet spot'

try that, then come back and tell us if there is a difference?

A

Anonymous

Thanks - It's not an option to place the speakers 1.65 from the rear wall. They are set at aprox 600mm from the rear wall which unfortunately is the maximum (wife permitted) distance.

I'll try narrowing the distance between but the existing set up is as close to your suggestion as possible, which gives me a sweet spot only 2m from the speakers, which is not ideal or a comfortable sitting position

A

Anonymous

lupo191:

Thanks - It's not an option to place the speakers 1.65 from the rear wall. They are set at aprox 600mm from the rear wall which unfortunately is the maximum (wife permitted) distance.

well, for the point of the excercise, I would try them at the 1,65m distance .... if there is a huge improvement, then you will know what the problem is

If there is no improvement at all, then perhaps you may need other speakers?

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i agree with dim_span, it sounds like a speaker positioning/listening position issue.

sometimes the only way round it is to tell the missus to pipe down, and put them where they sound good.
emotion-8.gif
i doubt there will be a magic fix, and even if you changed speakers, the problem would likely remain.

maybe you could find their best position, and only put them there when in use, moving them against the wall when not?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts