whats the best complete system youve ever had at any price

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Told you! :rofl:

Not my current system at all, this from about 15 years ago......

SME20A, Koetsu Red cartridge, custom balanced arm cable.

ARC Phono Stage 2

ARC LS2 line level pre-amplifier

ARC D400 Mk2 power amp

Martin Logan CLSIIz full range electrostatics

Rel Strata subwoofer, 2 units.

Very picky on recordings but with the right one, wow.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:

As I'm learning, Martin Logans do increase the gap between bad and good recordings.

You wouldn't believe this, Dave, but in reconfiguring my system this afternoon (setting up new Mac mini etc etc) I accidentally put some Abba on, and it actually sounds pretty damned good.

Matt

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
davedotco said:

As I'm learning, Martin Logans do increase the gap between bad and good recordings.

You wouldn't believe this, Dave, but in reconfiguring my system this afternoon (setting up new Mac mini etc etc) I accidentally put some Abba on, and it actually sounds pretty damned good.

Matt

I know, I onced played the soundtrack to the film Amadeus, much the same thing really...... 8)

matthewpiano

It all depends what basis 'best' is judged on. Ideally for me, the 'best' hi-fi system is the one that brings you the most musical enjoyment. On that basis I would say probably one of my early systems - possibly the Sony CDP-597, Pioneer PL12D, Rotel RA920AX, and B&W DM302s.

Of systems I've had in recent years I'd probably pick out a NAD C521BEE/C325BEE combo with Mordaunt-Short MS902i, or one of the Marantz set-ups I've had - CD/PM6003 with Dali Lektor 2s or the MCR610.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
yes i think youre right as its not always the systems we have now that may not be the best. i really enjoy my little marantz now but there have been systems in the past i.d wish i.d kept hold of, i.m sure theres a few guys on here who feel like that

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
my best music system from the early 90s,marantz cd63,cambridge audio dacmagic,marantz pm84 m2,mission 752,sounded awesome with all kinds of music. :cheers:

T

the record spot

matthewpiano said:
It all depends what basis 'best' is judged on. Ideally for me, the 'best' hi-fi system is the one that brings you the most musical enjoyment. On that basis I would say probably one of my early systems - possibly the Sony CDP-597, Pioneer PL12D, Rotel RA920AX, and B&W DM302s.

Of systems I've had in recent years I'd probably pick out a NAD C521BEE/C325BEE combo with Mordaunt-Short MS902i, or one of the Marantz set-ups I've had - CD/PM6003 with Dali Lektor 2s or the MCR610.

No word of the Exposure amp and Dynaudio speakers MP?

T

the record spot

For me, my current system, but lots of love for the Mission 752 / Sansui 217 or 717 amps with whatever CD player you like and my Mission 751 / Arcam Alpha 5 and Marantz CD52 Mk II player. The Mission 75 series is the key here, terrific range and the Tannoys share many of those qualities and possibly improve on them in my current room.

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Marantz cd63 ki sig, Arcam Alpha 9/9p, Mission 752F. It just seemed to make everything enjoyable, regardless of genre, or quality of production etc. If I knew then what I know now, I would still have it. But we always think we can improve on what we have, when actually it usually unbalances things, or gives something but takes something else away. That system was a lot of fun :grin:

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
As most others it's is my current system .

My system now is far better than I ever dreamed was possible 20 years ago and is now at least the equal of the best I have ever heard . :)

Why ? , because it puts real live sounding music with all the dynamics and emotion of live music in front of me whenever I want it .

My system is the nearest I will ever get to playing a musical instrument :)

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
My current system although I am yet to find a pair of speakers as agile as the KEF R300's I used to own. Even the IB2's struggle in comparison. The soundstage from the R300's was also amazing. In front, behind, to the side, instruments everywhere!

I was was also very fond of the Audiolab 8000C P combo with CD63 KI Sig CDP and Mission 753's that I almost bankrupted myself buying at university 20 years ago. My fondness may however be based on the context, good times, and the things I was up to back then, very, very good times! :grin:

John Duncan

NaimUniti and Neat Petite SX. The Neats were only borrowed though so after that it would be the Uniti plus PMC DB1i.

EDIT - Musical Fidelity X-Ray an X-80 with Tannoy Revolution 2 was quite special as well.

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Rega Planar 3 Nytech CT252 and Mordaunt Short Pageant 2 s. Took me three years working in factories during the summer holidays around Kidderminster, Still love them and listening to music is a joy! The waiting list for the Rega was 6 months!

Best wishes

Chris

matthewpiano

the record spot said:
matthewpiano said:

No word of the Exposure amp and Dynaudio speakers MP?

As I said I'm not sure that the most important consideration is which is the best in 'hi-fi' terms. For me it is more about which system has been a helpful and involving partner in exploring and enjoying the widest range of music and as yet the systems I mention above have done that the most.

As it happens the Dynaudios are running in rather nicely now...

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
See bedroom system in Sig. Not that I don't think it can be improved on, but it is a great all-rounder and even bad recordings sound pretty good.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
To be boring I would also have to say the one I have now. I've only had it for a couple of months and it is still surprising me with its sheer musicality.

However the first system I had, Dual turntable on home made plinth, Sansui AU101 amp and home made speakers, probably gave me more excitement than any other because of the work I put into it and the step change in quality from my Dad's record player.

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts