What would you like to see more of in the magazine?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Ah, Haricot Farming News - my favourite read...

Are you trying to tell me you don't read other 'Haricot Farming' magazines Andrew?

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Well, one keeps one's finger on the pulses...

Ahem. Well my excuse is a nice Crystal Cable Picollo between my amps. Having said that, there is still something to read in HFN after I've finished the other mags - the lab tests. Snore

ÿ

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I'd like to see a line or two about the kit used to exercise the item under test.

This is especially important information for me when testing DACs.....I'd need to understand if the source is a PC, Mac or CD, the file formats used, etc. Without this information, it will be difficult for me to judge how the DAC might perform within my system.

Sorry to keep banging on about this. But the moment, I have difficulty understanding the context within which an item is tested.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
HFN do all that lab testing stuff, and it makes me sleepy. Zzzzzzzzzz.

I'd rather go plane spotting with the other bunch.

...oh the irony...

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:I'm sorry if someone has already touched on the subject - but I would like to see more on cartridges and which one is best matched to amplifier & deck combination.

I have to agree with you Plastic Penguin - cartridges are the most difficult component to demo and in my experience most dealers offer little in this area. To be honest I don't really blame them. But that's where I come to rely on magazine reviews. The other Hi-Fi magazines do cartridge reviews but I've never seen one in WHF.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Thaiman:
fr0g:I would like to see reviews of more stuff that wasn't volunteered by the manufacturer, especially current competing stuff. It serves noone when the only recommendation is from one or two brands. I would like to see the workings behind 'blind testing' - What are the methods? I would like to see each reviewers personal opinion of a product. A Bike mag I read has a personal views summary. I would like to see more technical info, maybe lab graphs. Most importantly I would like to see more comparisons between different digital formats.

There are many other mags that will give you all that! WHF has it's own style, short - sweet but lots and lots of reviews!

You may be right, but...where do i find 'em?

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
I have to agree with the posters who said they want more HiFi (not vision)

- more on cartridges (for example I'd like to know what goes best with the most popular decks)

- and what about reviews on CDs (and LPs) that will bring out the best in hi fi systems of of all budgets (a selection of various musical tasts)

Jitter

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Higher end kit - particularly speakers. I have found "temptations" fascinating at times.

OB1i - please can you review these?????

Sliced Bread

How about 'real' power ratings as measured by What Hifi, where all products are measured under the exact same circumstances (i.e. 2 channels driven, 5 channels driver and 7 channels driven) rather than the manufacturers 'claimed' power ratings.

matthewpiano

Jitter:Higher end kit - particularly speakers. I have found "temptations" fascinating at times.

No!!!! PLEASE don't! WHFS&V is currently the only magazine where the focus is mostly on more affordable kit within the reach of normal people. If you want the unobtainable there is Hi-Fi+. HFN and HFC also focus disproportionately on more expensive gear.

Sliced Bread

matthewpiano:Jitter:Higher end kit - particularly speakers. I have found "temptations" fascinating at times.

No!!!! PLEASE don't! WHFS&V is currently the only magazine where the focus is mostly on more affordable kit within the reach of normal people. If you want the unobtainable there is Hi-Fi+. HFN and HFC also focus disproportionately on more expensive gear.

I hate to put a downer on a good comment, but I have to agree. I think WHF has a very good balance of budget, mid and high end equipment. Too much focus on the high end will really narrow the consumer demographic. Just look at the posts on this website. Most posts are related to budget and mid range kit.

Just my opinion though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts