What would you do?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
JohnDuncan:basically PP, you just need a gorgeous stereo, don't you...
primare.jpg

Browsed through April's edition of the mag & noticed that WHFI had reviewed the Primare All-in one system. So that seems quite a good call. However, it still needs a rack, something she desired to go.

She said I could sell all my stuff on ebay, but I'm not likely, given the climate, to see much of a return. I might turn the table on her and buy an extra system for the bedroom, that'll stick in her patriotic craw (wicked man).

As I working from home today, I've just been doing some quick sums. She has stipulated that she wants the hi-fi to be tucked in the corner, wants tv that can be fixed to the wall and speakers that can go on shelves.

Worked out that either Cyrus or Musical Fidelity X-Series are both small enough to fit the bill, so even if I go ex-dem with a new LCD tv and probably a bespoke rack, I'll probably won't have much change from £2,500.

Wow, that's a lot of dosh for just gaining a few inches of extra space - and more importantly - replacing a system I'm happy with. I think cuckoos and dreamland spring to mind. Phew!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Is this issue really all about space?

How does your wife feel about your interest in music and hifi beyond the minor matter of the room it takes up? Does she dislike you being a 'hobbyist' or does she support the idea?

Partners of people I know (friends/colleagues/family etc) seem to fall into two 'camps', those who support interests & hobbies and those who are almost embarassed by the idea and want their husbands to just be 'normal' about things like hifi/photography/cars etc. and just have what everyone else has and have interests that are 'normal'. ie like other husbands or like some notional 'ideal' of a normal husband. (Or more typically like their friend's husbands.)

Have you ever thwarted an interest or hobby of hers or ... say ... foregone a holiday or home improvement or car upgrade to buy new hifi instead? Have you neglected decorating or gardening because of the hobby? Do you already have other time-consuming interests - not shared with her - that make her feel she has to nail this one to preserve some time with you or money or whatever?

I have seen both extremes of (a) the destructively obsessional hifi 'nut' who completely shot a marriage away with thousands of pounds of debt because he was unemployed and she had to support his 'hobby' and the household on her salary alone. I have also seen (b) a friend's marriage wrecked because his wife would only want them to do things they could both enjoy together. He was asked to sacrifice every he enjoyed. The last straw was being told to sell all his workshop equipment (he made small items of William Morris style furniture and she preferred high street/department store decor). She could not understand his interests (Gothic, Mediaevel art, Architecture, furniture) and felt it was all out of proprtion to him being a (fairly) senior civil servant. Margoe (from the Good Life) with a vengeance!

I am sure you and your wife and your interests inhabit none of these extremes, I am just illustrating a point.

I believe she has trouble understanding why I'm always so enthused about music and the need to have a decent kit - however, that's my take, so I could be totally off kilter with this assumption. But no, I've never tried to thwart any of her interests: on the contrary, I've always encouraged and engauged in things I find either dull or dangerous.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts