What would you do?

This evening I've listened to the hi-fi, first time properly, since returning from our hols. Played the best of Elvis Costello tonight, and you really appreciate how good it sounds after a week away.

However, there is a sting in the tail: for some time the OH has been pestering me to. . .well it's the 'D' word. Yep, she wants to sell our kit because she thinks it's too imposing.

This means jacking in all my system for a smaller set-up - she wants a downgrade. I have pointed out the financial implications; any change would need to be improved on my system, so a mini-system is out out out. . . .

We have had some serious diagreements over the past months. Gee, do I need help. . .please.
emotion-6.gif

SteveR750

plastic penguin:
This evening I've listened to the hi-fi, first time properly, since returning from our hols. Played the best of Elvis Costello tonight, and you really appreciate how good it sounds after a week away.

However, there is a sting in the tail: for some time the OH has been pestering me to. . .well it's the 'D' word. Yep, she wants to sell our kit because she thinks it's too imposing.

This means jacking in all my system for a smaller set-up - she wants a downgrade. I have pointed out the financial implications; any change would need to be improved on my system, so a mini-system is out out out. . . .

We have had some serious diagreements over the past months. Gee, do I need help. . .please.
emotion-6.gif

Surprise her by moving into a larger house...in these financially strapped times I bet that's the last thing she would expect so you can get some easy brownie points..win win!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:
JohnDuncan:But seriously, remind us of your existing kit (apart from the 30-year-old tuner, that is)

Here goes:

Arcam A65+ CD73T, MA RS6 project Xpression 1, Stands Unique rack and 28" Sony IDTV.

What did you think of the systems at WHF Towers compared to what you have?

ÿ

JoelSim:plastic penguin:

JohnDuncan:But seriously, remind us of your existing kit (apart from the 30-year-old tuner, that is)

Here goes:

Arcam A65+ CD73T, MA RS6 project Xpression 1, Stands Unique rack and 28" Sony IDTV.

What did you think of the systems at WHF Towers compared to what you have?

Very impressed. However, size-wise, it's still like-for-like.

A

Anonymous

Standmounts and a sub. Its a compromise, not, after upgrading your amp and source.

No, sorry, before upgrading amp and source,

What would happen to the TT. She wants the rack to go, too. I could change speakers, but I reasoned with her that once placed on dedicated stands they still take up as much room as floorstanders.

She won't tell me outright, she'll just occasionally drop hints like, " wished we had more room?"

A

Anonymous

Give it some time, try to postpone and then bargain something for it - but don't give-in! :) Your kit doesn't sound excessively large.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The Arcam Solo-Mini is a perfect solution with some good, efficient stand mounts and you will still have all the right 'bits' from the CD73 inside as well as a decent FM/DAB tuner.

The naimuniti even more perfect of course (at a price).

If you go for the Solo-Mini and small standmounts then you have gone far enough and should assert yourself on the issue of the turntable. You will have not only compromised/sacrificed etc but also stood firm on something that matters to you. If she cannot respect that then....

I won't. When reader rescue came to our place last year she really liked the Cyrus 8, but agreed with me it looked a bit disjointed against the rest of the kit.

Oddly enough when we briefly brought the subject up on holiday, the Mother-in-Law agreed with me. Apart from music and Military History I don't have other interests; I'm not sporty in any way, and I don't see why I have to sacrifice something that benefits all of us. She plays cd's when I'm at work. Likewise, our little'un plays her stuff as well.

John Duncan

The turntable is the tricky bit, nae doobt - you don't really get smaller ones. Could it go somewhere else as a headphone-only setup just for you? The rest could be replaced with a very small system if you went the streaming route as somebody else mentioned - airport express (or apple tv ooo shiny) and some powered speakers, or a discreet amp at the feet of the RS6s?

SteveR750

On a serious note, whats the real logic for getting rid of your system? more space? Will it really make that much difference, and if not well maybe you need to think about that first. Personally I'd fight first before agreeing any changes, but then I'm recently divorced so perhaps my advice is worthless. Though, I'm happier and my hi fi is now exactly what I wanted it to be years ago.

JohnDuncan:The turntable is the tricky bit, nae doobt - you don't really get smaller ones. Could it go somewhere else as a headphone-only setup just for you? The rest could be replaced with a very small system if you went the streaming route as somebody else mentioned - airport express (or apple tv ooo shiny) and some powered speakers, or a discreet amp at the feet of the RS6s?

Sounds tempting, as you know from other threads, the 'streaming', IPods issue is totally alien to me. I wouldn't know where to start. I have tried to ask the question to the Brother-in-Law (IT manager for Sky TV) and he seems reluctant [apathetic is probably a better description] to divulge any info. . .crikey, families are strange.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts