What would you do?

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I had a false start earlier in the year - thought some money was coming my way, and it didn't. Now it is. The upshot is that I have 600 quid, possibly 700, to spend on hifi.

Originally, having auditioned TTs, I was going to get Project Debut Carbon, Rega Fono MKII and the required cables.

Now, second gussing myself, I'm thinking....

Other options are - replace the amplifier, or, buy another TT with a phono stage inbuilt and spend more on the cart.

For the amp, I am prepared to go down the pre-owned/ex-demo route.

Ideally, I only want another one or two auditioning sessions, as two kids means that time alone is at an absolute premium....

So, what would you do???

I think you'd be better getting an amp with built in phono stage rather than the turntable with it on board....they tend to be at the budget end of the market and when you decide to upgrade that turntable which will probably be all too soon....you'll need to buy a standalone stage anyway......but if I were you I'd save a bit more until I could get the turntable I wanted originally with a suitable standalone quality stage...it may take longer but will save you money in the long term from a series of stop gap purchases.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Add PSX-R s/h and buy an Elipson Alpha 100 (with or without built in stage). Add a stage if necessary.

You might have enough money left for a cart upgrade but the OM10 is very good. You would be looking at a Blue minimum to even slightly better it imho.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone...

I've seen a too-good-to-resist second hand Rega Planar 3, so have ordered it, and a Fono. For now I'll take across the 2M Red, with a view to upgrading it later.

As for speakers, I've a long term aim of replacing amp and speakers - in around 18 months. They will be significant purchases, as I don't want to do it again after that. I'll be asking for advice then as to what to have a listen to - and will almost certainly be switching to stand-mounters. Would prefer a little less bass, and the good lady wife would like something better looking. (As in the speakers - not me!!!!)

It's very unlikely I'l replace the CD player, as I don't use it very often.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts