What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 282 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

$T2eC16JHJGsFFMeIimrlBRbr(BFhMg~~60_35.JPG

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Hiya Jim

Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
Yes - 'Time And A Word' The only Yes album worth having? *biggrin*

Well, that's a bit drastic, Freddy, but not far off; I'd add, ;Yes', 'The Yes Album' and 'Fragile' and maybe 'Close To The Edge' but I haven't played it for about 30 years!

I'm a big fan of 'Time And A Word' although many critics aren't, but critics are just people with opinions and so are we. It's great because it's ambitious, fresh, has great songs including 'Everydays', one of the greatest pop songs ever written and it's not as pompous and silly as they became later. I play it a lot and love it...great memories, mostly of girls, of course. 'Fragile' is the best Yes album in my opinion but I play 'Time And A word' more frequently. Glad somebody else likes it.

"Pompous" is the word. 'Time And A Word' is my favourite by some distance. I always felt that Yes were too clever for their own good. Brilliant musicians that just wanted to show how brilliant they were. That's of course, my "opinion" *biggrin*

It was that time though Freddy: you can blame Cream really for all that focus on musicianship rather than song structures and tunes. I was always listening to the drummer or the bass player or whatever although I could scarcely hear anything on my weedy, underpowered mono-speakered dansette! Chris Squire's bass playing is unbelievable on 'Time And A Word.' Technique or 'chops' is no guarantee of coming up with a decent tune or song.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
It was that time though Freddy: you can blame Cream really for all that focus on musicianship rather than song structures and tunes. I was always listening to the drummer or the bass player or whatever although I could scarcely hear anything on my weedy, underpowered mono-speakered dansette! Chris Squire's bass playing is unbelievable on 'Time And A Word.' Technique or 'chops' is no guarantee of coming up with a decent tune or song.

I quite agree. Plenty of folks like much of Yes, but I find a lot of it a bit...dull, complex, but dull. I suppose I like my tunes to have more regular structures or sense of direction, simple melodies if you like. No doubt I'm missing out, I'll just have to live with it *biggrin*

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
This afternoon I played the album that produced the 1979 Christmas No1.

Pink Floyd - The Wall.

YOU, YES YOU BEHIND THE BIKESHEDS, STAND STILL LADDEE. Great times aye guys.

Great times indeed. I remember it well as we were expecting our second child, born in Jan '80. Never did like that tune though, sorry. *sad*

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I gave Elton John - 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' a spin earlier on, and I must say that I think it contains a collection of wonderfully crafted tunes. Indeed, I can't think of a single bad tune, not even a 'filler'. Not bad for a double! It takes me back to the time I met the wife..... *biggrin*

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
The Who - 'The Who By Numbers'. I've heard this album quite a few times over the years, but not in recent times (10 years?). Playing it now it strikes me as a rather good album. I particularly like 'Blue Red And Grey' with Townsend on the 'uke', lovely *wink*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
Temples, just had a listen on Spotify, unusual. Might be something Bernie would like? *bye*

I'd heard a few tracks before going to see them at a festival last year, and I thought they might be good to see live, but I couldn't have been more wrong. Lifeless, edgeless, Indie psychedelia by numbers.

My wife likes them though.*smile*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
Btw Bernie, what did you think of Wovenhand?

I hadn't played them, so I just looked them up on you tube and played the first two tracks from a live concert. To be honest, musically it doesn't offend me, though there's definitely an element of Folk in there, and Folk music and me don't tend to mix very well, but I'm really not keen on the vocals.

Remind me again why you thought I'd like them?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:

I hadn't played them, so I just looked them up on you tube and played the first two tracks from a live concert. To be honest, musically it doesn't offend me, though there's definitely an element of Folk in there, and Folk music and me don't tend to mix very well, but I'm really not keen on the vocals.

You posted a Dead Can Dance in the 'What Are You Listening To' thread, which I listened to. It put me in mind of Wovenhand. The one to listen to is 'Blush Music' (album). Very good it is
thumbs_up.gif

Spotify link

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:

You posted a Dead Can Dance in the 'What Are You Listening To' thread, which I listened to. It put me in mind of Wovenhand. The one to listen to is 'Blush Music' (album). Very good it is

Spotify link

Just tried 'Blush Music', but I just can't get past the vocals. Music is pretty good, but the singer isn't. Sorry Freddy.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:

Spotify link

Just tried 'Blush Music', but I just can't get past the vocals. Music is pretty good, but the singer isn't. Sorry Freddy.

No need to be sorry
thumbs_up.gif
I'm surprised though that you listened 'Blush Music', there's no such track? I was referring to the album. I particularly like 'White Bird'...

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Waxy said:
Followed by...

Allen Toussaint - Life, Love & Faith

FSOL - Environments 4

Temples, just had a listen on Spotify, unusual. Might be something Bernie would like? *bye*

This is a remix of the album tracks and I reckon it is a lot more interesting than the album itself. *pardon*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
No need to be sorry I'm surprised though that you listened 'Blush Music', there's no such track? I was referring to the album. I particularly like 'White Bird'...

I found the full album on you tube, and played the first couple of tracks, 'White Bird' being the 2nd (I think).

I just don't find his voice at all interesting.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts