What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 258 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Been away for a bit but this interested me enough to reply/hold forth. It's pointless tying to convince anybody that a record is good or bad so I won't bother but amongst the 'popular classic rock' records...shudder...'Dark Side Of The Moon' is certainly a cut above the rest. Your resident genius has succumbed to the mental illness that, with hindsight, informed 'Piper' and the brilliant singles of the era so what do you do? Write an album's worth of songs detailing the pressures that drive us all close to the edge, which is undoubtedly an acknowledgent of Syd's illness and a stark mirror for the rest of us. Roger Waters' lyrics are as bleak and comfortless as anything in pop music, with the exception of Dylan's 'Time Out Of Mind' and the rather more arty 'Pink Moon' yet, like these records, they illuminate aspects of the human condition that few writers dare to approach, at least in such a fearless fashion. If 'DSOTM' had been recorded by some unknown band, shelved and rediscovered by a later generation it would be hailed as a masterpiece: Waters would be regarded as a dark, messianic and literate lyricist, Rick Wright would get the credit he deserves as a very fine keyboard player and Gilmour and Mason as more than adequate contributors to the sonic majesty of this rather too popular and beautifully-recorded record. And that's it really isn't it? It was too damn successful for its own good, ie it lacks the cool credibility of the great outsider rock record, so it's easy to take a pop at it's mainstream status. Perhaps it's a bit too serious and self-consciously grim, unleavened by the humour of a Morrissey, for example, or more pertinently, a Barrett. I don't listen to it very often but when I do I'm totally engaged by it.

As for the Barrett solo stuff, well, as a study of mental disintegration, matched only by Skip Spence's 'Oar', it's a roaring success. I love 'The Madcap Laughs' but my God it's an uncomfotable and ghoulish listen despite containing some unbelievably beautiful songs. Even on 'Pink Moon', in fact, especially on 'Pink Moon', Nick Drake's musicianship and performances are focused and coherent.

These days, given the terrifying state of everything I prefer a jolly tune. Apologies for going on a bit but I love music.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
It's in the past as far as I'm concerned.

Likewise
thumbs_up.gif

People like what they like, I agree 100%, and it would be pretty boring if everyone liked the same thing.

I think Jim has put into words exactly what I've been trying to impart....

Jim-W said:
If 'DSOTM' had been recorded by some unknown band, shelved and rediscovered by a later generation it would be hailed as a masterpiece: Waters would be regarded as a dark, messianic and literate lyricist, Rick Wright would get the credit he deserves as a very fine keyboard player and Gilmour and Mason as more than adequate contributors to the sonic majesty of this rather too popular and beautifully-recorded record. And that's it really isn't it? It was too damn successful for its own good, ie it lacks the cool credibility of the great outsider rock record, so it's easy to take a pop at it's mainstream status.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Playing the rather wonderful Hovercraft - Experiment Below

That reminds me, I promised myself to check that out. Will do it tomorrow.

Did you? And what did you think?

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Did you? And what did you think?

I listened to a few snatches but haven't had time to sit down and listen to it properly, which I want to do. It's a joyful noise, for sure, but I'll need to listen to a few whole tracks at least to see if there's more too it than that.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
I had a listen to some of that (Hovercraft), not really my thing. But some parts reminded me of Subarachnoid Space. Here's a flavour, if you're interested.

I don't dislike that, quite weird that I've never heard of them.

I didn't expect you to like Hovercraft to be honest.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
DIB said:
... every home should have one.

My home does, and it's filed between Marvin Gaye "Live" and Isaac Hayes "To Be Continued".

Good man.

I'm not a "soul boy" by any means, but Al Green just hits the spot for me.

BTW. My copy is filed between Godley & Creme and The Groundhogs
teeth_smile.gif

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Great to see Al Green fans. 'Call Me' and 'Al Green Is Love' are my favourites, especially the latter which is a tad more unhinged in places and all the better for it. Love 'The Belle Album' too. Damn it, I love everything he's done even the religious stuff.

What's all this filing business? Mine are all over the place.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Finished work a bit earlier today, so put a relatively recent acquisition on. And I'm loving it.

Nancy+Sinatra+%26+Lee+Hazlewood+-+Did+You+Ever%3F+-+UK+Vinyl+-+LP+RECORD-66577.jpg

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Albert Ayler- 'Spiritual Unity.'

Ornette Coleman- 'The Shape Of Jazz To come.'

Eddie Boyd- '7936 South Rhodes.'

Let's Active- 'Cypress.'

Bert Jansch-' Jack Orion.'

Man- 'Back Into The Future.'

Jah Wobble's Invaders Of The Heart- 'Rising Above Bedlam.'

Mr Giblets

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Albert Ayler- 'Spiritual Unity.'

Ornette Coleman- 'The Shape Of Jazz To come.'

Eddie Boyd- '7936 South Rhodes.'

Let's Active- 'Cypress.'

Bert Jansch-' Jack Orion.'

Man- 'Back Into The Future.'

Jah Wobble's Invaders Of The Heart- 'Rising Above Bedlam.'

Love a bit of 'Man' !! Must dig my copy of 'Be Good To Yourself At Least Once A Day' out !!

Keep on Crinting

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Switched the turntable to 45 rpm so have played a few 7" singles, some of which I've not heard for an age.

Stained Glass Heroes – Rodeo / City
Stained Glass Heroes – Stationary / Invader Paul
Palais Schaumburg – Wir Bauen Eine Neue Stadt
PiL – This Is Not A Love Song
Rip Rig + Panic – You're My Kind Of Climate
Big Flame – Illness / "Sink" / Sometimes EP
The Fall – Fiery Jack
Yello – Bimbo / I.T. Splash
Yello – Bostich / She's Got A Gun
The Stone Roses – Fools Gold / What The World's Been Waiting For
Shriekback – All Lined Up / My Spine (Is The Bassline)
Innocence – Remember The Day
Haunted House [Lianne Hall & Paul Hartnoll] – Lost in a Forest / Shoulders
My Bloody Valentine – Feed Me With Your Kiss / Emptiness Inside
New Order – Ceremony
Serafina Steer – Peach Heart / Mano a Mano

That's enough for now. Must play the first two Rip Rig + Panic LPs tomorrow, both of which play at 45 rpm.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Sigur Rós – Hvarf / Heim
La Düsseldorf – Individuellos
Hüsker Dü – Warehouse Songs and Stories

Hmm, I seem to have plumped for bands with diacriticals in their names without realising it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts